Chances of getting on with a Major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
radarlove said:
Great, advice from someone who didn't quite make it. I'm not trying to insult you, but before you tell this guy to "go for it", why don't you share some example of folks going from zero to the majors in 4-6 years?

It's been done. Trust me.

English said:
\

Jesus God Almighty.. You guys make it sound like Major is like making it to the major leagues in baseball.. 4 to 6 years is easily doable if thats what ones goal is.. It's not even that great of an accomplishment.. I know many people that have turned 10,000 into 10,000,000 trading stock in 5 years!! Now thats a *****ing accomplishment!!

Last edited by a moderator:
as214 said:
\

Jesus God Almighty.. You guys make it sound like Major is like making it to the major leagues in baseball.. 4 to 6 years is easily doable if thats what ones goal is.. It's not even that great of an accomplishment.. I know many people that have turned 10,000 into 10,000,000 trading stock in 5 years!! Now thats a *****ing accomplishment!!

Well put.

English said:

The argument isn't whether or not "it's been done", it's whether or not you think this chump is the one to do it.

Again, in my experience (yours may vary) it takes about fifteen years start to finish to make it to a major airline job. If you're female or a minority, or daddy bought you a 152 when you were 14, then things can be different.

k2774 said:
I know I'll get the "anything is possible answers," but I have a question regaurding my future. It's been my dream since a child to become a pilot for a major airline, and I currently have about 425TT/18M at age 35. I also have a MS in Physics and have been accepted into a few PhD programs in physics.

My question is.......provided I continue to shell out thousands of dollars to work through my ratings ang forego the PhD program, do you think I will have a chance at getting a good "return on my investment" by getting on with a major......or any lucrative flying job for that matter?

Although a dream, I'm trying to rationalize of shelling out $30-40 on flight training, and the furthest I can go is to a regional or small cargo carrier.

What would you do if you were in my shoes.....I guess that's the gist of my question. Thanks in advance for the responces.

Go for the PhD.

The question that should be asked is not what are the odds that you will get hired by a major, but rather, what are the odds you will experience a solid return on your investment. It's very possible that you could end up at a major someday, but it's questionable if you will see the compensation and benefits offered by the majors of years past.

radarlove said:
The argument isn't whether or not "it's been done", it's whether or not you think this chump is the one to do it.

Again, in my experience (yours may vary) it takes about fifteen years start to finish to make it to a major airline job. If you're female or a minority, or daddy bought you a 152 when you were 14, then things can be different.

FWIW:
High school graduation to day one of indoc at a major: 11 years.
Male, white-bread, didn't know anybody when I started.

15 years is a very good number, and I figured it would take me between 10 and 15 to finally land "the job". The thing I had going for me was timing. Everybody was hiring, but not everybody wanted to fly cargo.

"Jesus God Almighty.. You guys make it sound like Major is like making it to the major leagues in baseball.. 4 to 6 years is easily doable if thats what ones goal is.. It's not even that great of an accomplishment.. I know many people that have turned 10,000 into 10,000,000 trading stock in 5 years!! Now thats a *****ing accomplishment!!"

VERY WELL PUT.

I had a pilot say to me once he ultimate goal was to fly a GV, I told him my ultimate goal was to be sitting in the back.

Mark

Clyde said:
FWIW:
High school graduation to day one of indoc at a major: 11 years.
Male, white-bread, didn't know anybody when I started.

15 years is a very good number, and I figured it would take me between 10 and 15 to finally land "the job". The thing I had going for me was timing. Everybody was hiring, but not everybody wanted to fly cargo.

Ditto, took me 12 yrs (10 yrs of full time flying)

Very first training flight, summer of '89 (sophmore yr of college)

Summer of '91 had multi, comm instru. then took two yrs off to finish BA degree.

'94 CFI, CFII, MEI started flight instructing for 1 year.

'95 Corporate turbo prop, '97 corporate jet, '01 FedEx indoc

FWIW, gl

Last edited:
Yep- timing IS everything

At one time or another, getting a job at a major WAS like making it to the major leagues- and about as tough.

It's great if you have lived in a time and hit all the seams to not think it to be so.

It took me about 12 years after I got my private to obtain all the rest of the ratings (including a FET from Braniff) and get 8000+ worth of instructior, corporate, and commuter time to be competitive and begin receiving interviews and offers.

For those who got it done in less, that's great.

So anyway, this gentleman doesn't need any more feedback from us (myself included). Let us know what you decided and how it worked out in 5 years, ok? I think we've beaten this one to death.

Last edited:
Just as a point of reference. I went from Private to Major new hire in 6 years and Captain 4 years later.
No military, no sugar daddy. Did everything on the cheap. Ton of c-150 autogas time. Combined my commercial and multi training together and at the moment I had both tickets in hand I had less than 12 hours of retract time, not because I was superpilot only because it was the only way I could afford it. One of my private instructors was furloughed at the time from Western. He told me to stay away from the industry, but I'm glad I didn't follow his advice. Have had four flying jobs and each new one was a pay cut in hopes of a better future. Always made sure when I left a job that I could go back to it if I had to.
I have seen a lot of cycles. The downs always cycle back up again.
I focussed in on the carrier that seemed to have the best future rather than the highest pay at the moment. Friends who thought I was nuts at the time and chose big bucks instead are now reeling and would trade with me in a heartbeat. My previous carrier to this one would have still been a great career.
Bottom line is I make about 200k working about half the month, and the new garage plans are being drawn for the arrival of the RV10 kit. At its worst it still beats working. Had real jobs, real jobs suck. Been married 24 years, my wife's friends all say that I seem to have more time home and attend more kid's functions then their husbands do.
The advice I would pass on would be the same I have given my son.
Don't be greedy. Don't burn any bridges. If given a choice between two intermediate jobs take the one that would make the best career if you ended up stuck there. When you are reaching for the top tier pick the option with the strongest balance sheet and number of aircraft on order. Luck is a factor and the harder you work the luckier you get.
There is always room at the top and someone is always hiring. If it truly is in your blood then go for it because otherwise you will always wish you had. If it isn't in your blood then don't bother and you'll leave more room for my son.

Latest resources

Back