• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chances of getting on with a Major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still trying to get to a major. Private license in 93. Commercial 96, CFI 97. First regional job 99. First CA upgrade 2004. Still working toward getting the PIC experience I need to get somewhere. 12 years so far, and who knows how much longer it will be.

Some folks are lucky and the timing works out perfectly for them. Others aren't so lucky, comany goes out of business, economic downturns, long upgrade at their company, etc.

No matter how motivated, you don't have a lot of control or say in how your career will progress. As I said, a lot of it is luck.

Big Beer Belly said:
I get more of a thrill at the local go-cart track than I do in a 767 ... and every former military guy will say the same ... though all the civilian guys will accuse us of being arrogant.
BBB

Um, how about a military guy accusing you of being arrogant? Yes, I flew planes with after burners (among others).
Some people love all flying. Some people think they're better than others or that a certain type of flying is beneath them. These guys end up on the bid avoidance list.

I still love flying the cub and the most challenging flying I've ever done was in helicopters - fighters were easy by comparison, I do enjoy 121 flying, even though it doesn't "thrill" like NOE on NVGs did, it is a different challenge and a great lifestyle.

As to the origional post - a career switch at this point would be totally irrational ... I'd do it.

Mariner’s Log July 1986

ivauir said:
Um, how about a military guy accusing you of being arrogant? Yes, I flew planes with after burners (among others).
Some people love all flying. Some people think they're better than others or that a certain type of flying is beneath them. These guys end up on the bid avoidance list.

I still love flying the cub and the most challenging flying I've ever done was in helicopters - fighters were easy by comparison, I do enjoy 121 flying, even though it doesn't "thrill" like NOE on NVGs did, it is a different challenge and a great lifestyle.

As to the origional post - a career switch at this point would be totally irrational ... I'd do it.

Ok,

I’ve been reading this thread for the last day or two and it reminds me of myself a bit. The quote above finally prompted me to jump in. I was in a similar situation over 18 years ago: I had wanted to fly Navy since I could remember being conscious and didn’t quite have the SAT scores for the Naval Academy. I ended up at a different school, graduated with a BSEET and went to work as a Field Engineer at a major semiconductor equipment company. Finally one day I bit the bullet and went to talk to the recruiter. A minor medical snafu prevented me from flying fighters, but I did get to hit Lady Lex in the T-2 & A-4 before she was put to bed. BBB, I can understand your point of view, but in the end it is all good. Logistics & recon still had their moments: great views ALL OVER the world, lots of time w/ Chinese F-8s on my wing in the Aries, been into more airfields than I can remember in all kinds of wx, yada, yada, yada… Now, 17 months until terminal leave and I’m chomping at the bit to join the outside world flying, despite the turbulence of the industry, and I’m sure that there is still more great flying left too do and adventures to be had. I realized the 2.5 years at grad school that there is nothing else I’d rather do than fly.

To the original poster, my wife is making a Navy scrap book for me and found this sheet I used to have pinned up over my desk when I was wrestling with the decision to leave the semiconductor industry:

IN PASSING- STERLING HAYDEN 1916-1986 Mariner’s Log July 1986

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea-“cruising,” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine—and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need—really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in—and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all—in the material sense. And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

By Sterling Hayden, sailor extraordinaire

My 10 cents….

VVJM265

An ounce of luck is better then a pound of skill.
I got real lucky by stacking the deck in my favor. I started at a major at 24. The place had 50 guys senior and younger then me so it can be done.
Best of luck to all.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Thats a great quote and reminded me of when I was wrestling with the decision to pursue aviation. A few years after I had graduated from college I was trying to decide between going back to school for a master's degree or move to Florida and try to become an airline pilot.

I had the aviation bug since I can remember but never had anyone to mentor me. I would read all those flying magazines and try to get as much information out of them as possible. I dreamed alot about flying but never TRUELY believed that becoming an airline pilot was possible for someone like me. I had no money or connections in the industry. I did have alot of faith though and when presented with the opportunity to participate in a work/study program (first lots of work then eventually get to flight train, think karate kid;) ) I decided to take a chance on what was, at the time, a real unknown for me. I packed my bags and moved to Florida with very little savings, a car that barely ran, and a whole lot of faith.

All my friends were starting to make some decent money and I was throwing out the trash, cutting the grass around the school facility and washing airplanes (again, think karate kid). This was NOT my idea of "the dream" but things slowly got better. I eventually finished the work portion of the program and started flight training, got a job pumping gas, made some connections and ten years later Im just waiting for SWA,Jet Blue, FedEX, or UPS to call:) .
Has it been worth it? Can't answer that question just yet. Ive certainly seen and done some neat things along the way (Aspen CO for two days just this week) but have also suffered financially along the way although things are better lately.

Would I recommend that this guy give it a shot? Yes, IF and that is a BIG IF, he has his finances in order, can be happy spending his career at a regional, and has no delusions of making $200,000/year.

good luck,
Johnny

Last edited:
Anything can happen.

There is a pilot hired at American in about 1990 who was hired within two years of getting his IFR rating. His last name is Boice and he was about 21 when he was hired and will eventually be number one on the list.

I've seen a lot of pilots hired in the commuter world with less than 1000 hours and seen them go to majors a year or two later.

1000 hours may not sound like much but it is more time than Chuck Yeager had when he broke the sound barrier.

Even though the experience level has increased dramatically of those looking for jobs, it seems like the airlines that are hiring are still balancing their classes with pilots of varied backgrounds, ages, and experience levels.

I remember when most major carriers wouldn't accept an app from anyone over the age of 27. SWA has always bucked that trend by hiring guys even in their 50's yet still having Captains occasionally in their 20's
If you've convinced yourself that you are going to fail, you're right.

You went to all the trouble to imitate Ty Webb's Avatar, profile, aircraft flown, signature, all the way down to muck raker, and the best you came up with is.
.....I eat my poop?

:rolleyes:

Big Beer Belly said:
...and every former military guy will say the same ... though all the civilian guys will accuse us of being arrogant.

Sorry, bro. Gotta disagree with you. As a former carrier aviator, some of your observations were spot on. But if you dismiss every aspect of aviation other than military flying, you are in for a long and lonely career.

Military flying is fun, and offers some unique opportunities. But you make it sound like you and Goose would do nothing but spend an afternoon in negative g dives with Mig-31s. I recall that flying was a secondary duty in the Navy. You have to push a boatload of paper for every flight hour. Guys get out of the Navy after nine years with maybe 2000 hours. I have flown more than that in three years of 121 flying (I haven't updated my profile), and I didn't have to be the Admin Officer, Combined Federal Campaign Officer, Toys for Tots Officer, or any of a dozen other crappy jobs required to get a good fitrep so I could remain in the service. Military aviation isn't all high energy ACM, low levels, and volleyball games.

By the way, any pogue can zing along at 500 KIAS and land on a 12000 foot runway. Real aviators can be found behind The Boat. How many traps do you have, High Speed? If you have to flare to land, you have to squat to pee.

There are a lot of cool things in civilian aviation. I encourage you to look a little harder, LT Mitchell. You will be a lot happier if you do.

My regards to the guys down in the VFW hall talking about the good ole days.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back