• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career after washing out of 121 training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Persistence makes up for talent any day.

I would definantely not walk away from aviation. The next gig you get, you'll have a more relaxed attitude since you've been exposed to the the worst of it; that being canned.

Like the others have said, get yourself into some 135 flying and maybe even enroll in one of those RJ courses available. Less stress and pressure learning in the outside training environment where you're the customer, not a probationary guy with lots to lose if you don't move along at the expected pace.

More CFIing will just keep you insane. I think an RJ course and perhaps some 135 flying will make you a much more confident and prepared candidate at the next regional.

You could be back in 121 training in as little as 4 months from now.

Good luck and it sounds like you're an honest hard working guy. Be prepared to lose a few battles in order to win the war.

Bravo man, you seem to be taking a very level headed and mature additude toward this. M condolences that you didn't make it through. Your not the first and you won't be the last.

Making the jump from 172's to a jet in the airline enviorment it tough and its for that reason that most people do some sort of lower lever 135 or part 91 flying first just to get some experience working with the IFR system a bit more, but more importantly dealing with all the munusha that you deal with daily with the airlines. I dont know of very many people who made the jump from CFI to RJ. Keep your chin up and keep your feelers out, either with other regionals or 135/91 companies.

MOST important, when asked about it in an interview tell them the same thing that you told all of us. Don't be ashamed of it or try to make it sound different then it really is.

When I went for my initial PVT pilot ride my instructor told me that there are two kinds of pilots. Those that have busted a check ride and those that will.

Please keep us posted on where you land and I'm sure you will find that you land on your feet.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. My problem was I had been flying a tanker as a civilian contractor pilot for 7 years. Can you say Day-VFR? Spooling up in a part 121 training simulator was not the easiest thing I have ever done. I'd say it might not have been the glass that made it more difficult, but I'm thinking that perhaps the instrument skills (like mine) were a bit rusty after 2 years of CFI flying in Texas. Shake it off and move on, and perhaps buy a little box time before the next attempt. Good Luck, I think you'll do fine.

I'm sure i'll get some replys along the lines of "you suck go work at mcdonalds" and I thank you guys for it in advance. If nothing else it'll help keep me as humble.

You're not a loser bro, but I would look into the McD's thing. I heard managers make OK money :p
But in all seriousness, it's not the end of the world. Try flying some freight, lot's of freighter companies are paying OK money now. Ameriflight was recently hiring for Dallas, and Lubbock base. Check them out. Good luck

Everything happens for a reason.. the reason might not be clear to you now, but you will be 65 someday sittinging on your porch with a big fat bob marley doobie looking back laughing at the fact that you "almost went to eagle".. you will be glad you did not go there

I was a check airmen for awhile, so I have a little experience with training.
So I'll make a few obsevations that seem relavant to you.
EVERYBODY has good days and bad. As a new hire, anyone can get behind the power curve and there simply is not enough time to sort it out. I know plenty of pilots that have a story like you, perservered and are now jet Captains somewere else. In training it's not so much whether you make mistakes or not, it's how you handle it. By your posting it sounds like you are handling it spot on with a very good attitude. (like I said, in a new hire situation, especially new to glass, it can happen to anyone). Learn and grow from this (it sounds like you are) and you will be better than those who have never dealt with your situation. As everyone says, it's highly likely you'll look back on this in a few years and be glad it happened, although I'm sure you are having a hard time believing that now. Good luck and keep flying.

Everything happens for a reason! Yeah it sucks to hear that now but it's TRUE!

First of all, having been an avid flightinfo junkie for the past few year years this is only my sixth post. I was moved by how brave your initital post was regarding your training bust and for seeking advice.
Also, I am very moved by how CONSTUCTIVE the input has been been by all the pilots offering such sage advice.
On the "everything happens for a reason vein", I interveiwed with ATA in in 2001 and did not receive the job offer. After feeling sorry for myself for a week I decided to go for it, get the 737 type for SWA and do everything possible to secure an interview. Long story short I was hired by SWA six years ago and couldn't be happier. Hang in there, everything happens for a reason. In closing we carried two ATA pilots today who ferried the LAST ATA jet to Tucson today; very sad.

'Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our eyes of our goals'

Pick yourself up and go on, things truly happen for a reason.

Come on Back

You can always come back. If you were hirable at Eagle, you are hirable at any regional airline. Training departments vary greatly in our industry. Consider coming to ASA. The training is second to none! They certainly won't ask you to leave after 8 or 10 sims. They do 99% of the screening at the door.

Latest resources

Back