Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
To say the last few weeks have been depressing would be the understatement of the century.

I washed out of training last month with Eagle. Training was challenging after CFI'ing for the last 2 years in Texas but I made it to the checkride with a few bumps along the way, and Busted. I was completely tense and knew it. No excuses, I F'ed up. Was given 1 sessions of retraining after which the instructor recommending 1 more before send me for the retest. I got word the next day to report to the office of the Director of training and was given an option to resign or i'd be let go.

I came to training with a good attitude,"hat in my hands" approach, ready to be a sponge and give it my all. Did well during ground school and really loved studying with the guys, practicing flows, keeping ahead of the material with my study groups (not so much to burn out, we had our time to cool off with a cold one). I feel I gave it my all. I find myself looking back thinking "what could I have done differently" . I had some trouble getting adjusted to the glass in the ERJ (never flew any glass before) and seemed to start off struggling in the sim.

I'd considered myself very focused on my career and now find myself thinking its FUBR. Any advice you guys/gals can share would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I'm sure i'll get some replys along the lines of "you suck go work at mcdonalds" and I thank you guys for it in advance. If nothing else it'll help keep me as humble.

You don't suck, and you will get by. This may be a blessing in disguise and you just don't know it yet.

Take this as an opportunity to go to a 135 carrier, either passengers flying King Airs and Lears/Citations or flying Barons hauling night freight. Keep flying and keep making steps up that career ladder...you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Like he said you don't suck, it just wasn't your turn!!! Something good will turn out of this keep your head up, and stick with it!!!

First off, I applaud your desire to face this head-on by asking for advice on this. Second, hang in there - you could be in a far worse scenario.

If you are jumping from CFI to regional, it is by far, IMHO the most difficult jump throughout the flying career - the pace accelerates well beyond one's expectations.

I was inspired by a mainstream regional that washout a friend, only to tell him "get more experience, let's try this again in a year." He did, they rehired him, now he's a Captain.

Here's what I would do... go back to where you were instructing for the short term. Then consider buying some additional twin time or doing a 135 job. Then be patient as you flood the market with resumes. Good news is that everyone is still hiring like crazy, so you could be much worse off. When you get called for the interview, you can discuss this incident in an incredible positive way.

And I always lay off the sauce while in training, it will only dilute the brain - save it until after the checkride.

Good luck - you are not alone:
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=109465
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=107233
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=102815
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=107540
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=106477

Let us know how things go....

I agree with Boiler. 135 is the way to go right now. It's not the end of the world! Keep flying, keep your good attitude and good things will happen!

Keep your head up, keep going.. My sim partner washed out last year. It was his blessing in disguise.. Two months later he is in training at a better job making more money..

Learn from your mistakes..

Never regret the things that you have done, regret the things you don't do..

To say the last few weeks have been depressing would be the understatement of the century.

I washed out of training last month with Eagle. Training was challenging after CFI'ing for the last 2 years in Texas but I made it to the checkride with a few bumps along the way, and Busted. I was completely tense and knew it. No excuses, I F'ed up. Was given 1 sessions of retraining after which the instructor recommending 1 more before send me for the retest. I got word the next day to report to the office of the Director of training and was given an option to resign or i'd be let go.

I came to training with a good attitude,"hat in my hands" approach, ready to be a sponge and give it my all. Did well during ground school and really loved studying with the guys, practicing flows, keeping ahead of the material with my study groups (not so much to burn out, we had our time to cool off with a cold one). I feel I gave it my all. I find myself looking back thinking "what could I have done differently" . I had some trouble getting adjusted to the glass in the ERJ (never flew any glass before) and seemed to start off struggling in the sim.

I'd considered myself very focused on my career and now find myself thinking its FUBR. Any advice you guys/gals can share would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I'm sure i'll get some replys along the lines of "you suck go work at mcdonalds" and I thank you guys for it in advance. If nothing else it'll help keep me as humble.

Obstacles are part of life.........so are failures. The industry has plenty of successful pilots with busted rides in their past. YOU can choose to see this as a career stopping event or choose to see the obstacle as only temporary.

Is it possible that the obstacle in this situation wasn't lack of ability, but anxiety ?

Checkitis in airline simulators is fairly common. Being relatively inexperienced didn't help. I've flown with people who were basket cases in the sim and fine on the line.

Keep moving forward and in due time this will be behind you. The REAL faliure would be to allow a setback to turn you around moving backward.

Last edited:
Don't give up man. I busted out of training on IOE with a 121 carrier (TransStates) in the summer of 2005. I ended up flight instructing (Again) for 6 months, then got a job with a 135 operator for a year flying a Caravan and have been with Chautauqua flying the 145 for just over a year now. When I was hired at Transtates I had just over 800 hours and I was not ready. When I interviewed with Chauataqua, I had 2000 hrs and felt more than prepared to handle the training, plus the interview panel seemed to like my persistence and liked the fact that I used the 135 opportunity to continue to build upon my flying skills. The additional 1200 hours and the 135 flying were a blessing in disguise. Just hang in there - it will work out if you want it bad enough. Just be honest, own up to the bust and don't make excuses.

you are not the first and wont be the last. you seem to have a good attitude. I am thinking next time around just relax a bit. after all, its just a big video game. :)

Latest resources

Back