• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/ UAL Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Merging two senority list only includes active pilots on the list. Furloughed pilots are not included. There has to be vacancies at the new company for them to come back.

Merging two senority list only includes active pilots on the list. Furloughed pilots are not included. There has to be vacancies at the new company for them to come back.

That's not technically correct, furloughed pilots are most certainly included in any seniority list integration. Precedent has been that all furloughed pilots go to the bottom of the list but there is nothing that says it has to work out that way.

I think furloughs and widebody flying are going to be huge issues here. I don't know the details but I would say junior UAL furlough is around a 2000 hire and junior CAL furlough is around a 2007 hire, so the UAL furloughs stand to lose a lot of seniority.

Also UAL has about a 1:2.5 ratio of wide to narrow body flying whereas CAL has a 1:5 ratio or so.

Hope it works out for the pilots but this one has arbitration written all over it.

cale

That's not technically correct, furloughed pilots are most certainly included in any seniority list integration. Precedent has been that all furloughed pilots go to the bottom of the list but there is nothing that says it has to work out that way.

I think furloughs and widebody flying are going to be huge issues here. I don't know the details but I would say junior UAL furlough is around a 2000 hire and junior CAL furlough is around a 2007 hire, so the UAL furloughs stand to lose a lot of seniority.

Also UAL has about a 1:2.5 ratio of wide to narrow body flying whereas CAL has a 1:5 ratio or so.

Hope it works out for the pilots but this one has arbitration written all over it.

cale

Widebody flying? Who has more widebodies? I see fences, but other than that the airlines are about equal, with certain strengths each. Also, CAL is stronger and that will be taken into account, since they are the ones in the driver's seat for this transaction. With the amount of furloughed UAL and CAL pilots out there though, new hiring will not be very soon at all. It may take years to call everyone back. :(

It may take years to call everyone back. :(

This sucks big donkey dong for all of us regional pukes, as we'll have one less big carrier to apply to. At lease CAL would have been hiring soon, now with the UAL fuloughees it'll be YEARS before they hire. I'm talking American/TWA new hire years.

This industry is getting more crappy each decade!!!! So much for the 65yr thing stagnant hiring for a long time

Yes between the 65 rule and merger after merger, hireing is going to be painful for the next few years. We shall see what regionals will profit from this merger. My bet is it will be SkyWest and ExpressJet.

Yes between the 65 rule and merger after merger, hireing is going to be painful for the next few years. We shall see what regionals will profit from this merger. My bet is it will be SkyWest and ExpressJet.

The combined UAL/CAL will have massive retirment numbers once the age 65 effects are done. Just like with NWA/DAL, the numbers are pretty eye opening. Its coming, with that said, it will take longer at UAL/CAL to hire than it will here at DAL since theres so many on the street with UAL.

Latest resources

Back