• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Recalls in the Spring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about them rubs you the wrong way? Aren't they just trying to make a living like you are?
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact that nobody has to earn the position anymore. Good paying jobs are being lost to RAH etc. Ask a 12 yr MidEx guy who just went from capt to the street how he feels about some 22 yr old kid flyin a fairly large airplane with his paint on it. I remember needing 2000 hrs to get on with a 1900 operator in the mid to late 90s. Now the wonder kids with 300 hrs go straight to jets and pay no dues along the way. I guess I just liked it better when the airline jobs were actually an accomplishment after a long road of flight instructing, charter, freight, etc.

The 22 yr old kid is just taking a job that is available to him. It isn't his fault that the hiring standards have dropped so much or that scope has been relieved, and the whole idea of "if people just wouldn't take those jobs, then they would go back to mainline" is totally ridiculous. When I flew for the regionals, most of the guys I flew with would have been more than happy to be flying a turbo prop, and as you say properly paying their dues. However, the problem is, the light at the end of the tunnel that all those in past generations have seen is getting smaller and smaller. The pay keeps eroding, so I think it would be crazy to expect to pay the same amount of dues for less reward at the end. I for one would have been more than happy to spend my time instructing to get a cargo job to get a b-1900 job, if the ultimate reward was a captain's seat in a widebody making $500,000 a year (todays dollars) like the guys made in past times. It is a shame, but you can blame those that caved on scope for their own personal gains, or the elected court officials who allowed contracts to be thrown in the garbage during bankruptcy court. You can't however blame the 22 year old kid for taking a job that is available to him. My opinion at least.

The 22 yr old kid is just taking a job that is available to him. It isn't his fault that the hiring standards have dropped so much or that scope has been relieved, and the whole idea of "if people just wouldn't take those jobs, then they would go back to mainline" is totally ridiculous. When I flew for the regionals, most of the guys I flew with would have been more than happy to be flying a turbo prop, and as you say properly paying their dues. However, the problem is, the light at the end of the tunnel that all those in past generations have seen is getting smaller and smaller. The pay keeps eroding, so I think it would be crazy to expect to pay the same amount of dues for less reward at the end. I for one would have been more than happy to spend my time instructing to get a cargo job to get a b-1900 job, if the ultimate reward was a captain's seat in a widebody making $500,000 a year (todays dollars) like the guys made in past times. It is a shame, but you can blame those that caved on scope for their own personal gains, or the elected court officials who allowed contracts to be thrown in the garbage during bankruptcy court. You can't however blame the 22 year old kid for taking a job that is available to him. My opinion at least.

Plus, modern jets are so easy to fly that you don't need the depth of knowledge and experience that you used to need to fly the older generation of t-props and jets.

I can see you are craving for scope clause relief, you worried about flying a 50 seat jet for the rest of your career??? It is ok don't need to answer.

Too bad your scope doesn't include turbo-props. After the announcment today it looks like Larry is going to be giving a lot of your flying to Pinnacle and their 70+ seat turbo-props. Yikes, sucks to be you guys, especially in Newark!!

Oh well. I was hoping that we'd get some of that, but Larry gave it to someone else. Hey bald head doofus, kiss my rear!!! LOL

Not much good news for XJT today though. :(

have you ever made an intelligent post about anything??? you should be concerned with the announcement of more Q400's for yourself and your express brothers and sisters. the Q400 isn't the type of airplane that will replace mainline flying, it is the type of airplane that will replace RJ's flying routes that a turboprop should be flying. you aren't going to see a reduction of 737 flying, just more feed from smaller markets that are more than likely being served by RJ's which will be much more efficiently served by the Q400. sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not bad news for the CAL guys and gals.

Too bad your scope doesn't include turbo-props. After the announcment today it looks like Larry is going to be giving a lot of your flying to Pinnacle and their 70+ seat turbo-props. Yikes, sucks to be you guys, especially in Newark!!

Oh well. I was hoping that we'd get some of that, but Larry gave it to someone else. Hey bald head doofus, kiss my rear!!! LOL

Not much good news for XJT today though. :(

If I am not mistaken that turboprop only does about 400-500 mile stage lengths. so I don't think it will replace any 737s. Hate to say it, because of all my friends at Express, but it might replace RJs' if anything.

Just saw skywdriver's post, uh exactly.

If I am not mistaken that turboprop only does about 400-500 mile stage lengths. so I don't think it will replace any 737s.

HAHAHA. Keep dreaming. You think a 400 nm / 76 seat airplane will replace an RJ. Nope, this is to replace the 737s in the northeast. Larry figured out a way to get around your scope clause!

You do realize that my RJ flies as far as your 737 right? Or do you need me to give you some oral? LOL

.....In other news.....I hear that the bases in LAX and MCO/TPA will not be "satellite bases" but instead "actual bases". Apparently there will be a "special system bid" in February for these bases. Anyone know what the deal with this is?

HAHAHA. Keep dreaming. You think a 400 nm / 76 seat airplane will replace an RJ. Nope, this is to replace the 737s in the northeast. Larry figured out a way to get around your scope clause!

You do realize that my RJ flies as far as your 737 right? Or do you need me to give you some oral? LOL

I don't think so.... The 737 has a lot more range than the RJ.. And you know it..

Latest resources

Back