• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL JAN Class Breakdowns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lots of people on here. That's why they included the search function... so you can search back and find answers to questions without rehashing the same question all over again.

Thats right Corrosion Corner is in the freight area at MIA but not exactly. That is a common misconception. The actual Corner which was operated by a famous ol man no longer exists.

Thanks for answering my question of who compiles who came from where.

What's the number now? I heard 12 a month but I've seen 8 now mentioned a few times. Anyone in the know?

Interesting hiring numbers. I was DHing on CAL about a month ago and reading the magazine in the back of the seat, and there was an article from the CEO talking about the appreciation of all of the military pilots at CAL and those that were deployed. He made a HUGE point about how over 50 percent of all CAL pilots were prior military and that they drew from military.

Not getting into the well beaten mil vs civ background here, but the contrast between the CEO's article and the hiring backgrounds listed here is very interesting.

Also....let's not get down on the GoJets guy. Is flying an airbus for $65/hr any worse than flying an RJ for $19/hr...I think not.....

We all need to demand a minimum wage for pilots.....no FO flies for less than the lowest paid full time TSA agent checking your bags.

My rant is over, although I'd be interested if someone at CAL could get ahold of that article which was in your December in-flight magazine and post it here

Maybe he is playing nice because of the class action lawsuit CAL is receiving regarding their hiring practices of military pilots. A close friend of mine was fired, yes fired, for taking military leave. The VA got involved and sued CAL. He received his job back, but they did not want to honor his seniority. He has received everything back, but it took a fight. He will be one of the witnesses for the case. He has a guy on record saying that he would not hire any reservists if he had the chance.

At my CAL interview, I was directly asked how I would handle my CAL job and reserve job at the same time. He said "I want a good piece of you that first year and I don't want you taking advantage of mil leave." Another friend of mine was almost yelled at as the interviewer raised his voice and pointed his finger at him and said "You reservists taking advantage of mil leave aren't pulling your weight." I'm pretty sure the above comments bordered on illegal. For the record, both of us were hired.

This post was not meant as flame bait. Hopefully, it will provide some military guys some heads up for their interviews. I am not speaking about the working environment for guardsman/reservists at CAL, only about the interview experience.

Maybe he is playing nice because of the class action lawsuit CAL is receiving regarding their hiring practices of military pilots. A close friend of mine was fired, yes fired, for taking military leave. The VA got involved and sued CAL. He received his job back, but they did not want to honor his seniority. He has received everything back, but it took a fight. He will be one of the witnesses for the case. He has a guy on record saying that he would not hire any reservists if he had the chance.

At my CAL interview, I was directly asked how I would handle my CAL job and reserve job at the same time. He said "I want a good piece of you that first year and I don't want you taking advantage of mil leave." Another friend of mine was almost yelled at as the interviewer raised his voice and pointed his finger at him and said "You reservists taking advantage of mil leave aren't pulling your weight." I'm pretty sure the above comments bordered on illegal. For the record, both of us were hired.

This post was not meant as flame bait. Hopefully, it will provide some military guys some heads up for their interviews. I am not speaking about the working environment for guardsman/reservists at CAL, only about the interview experience.

Why would an employer want to hire a guys who will be absent for 50% of their first year? Honestly, can you blame them for not wanting to hire guys who can forgo work when they like? A civilian guy cannot walk into the CP's office and say "hey dude, my part time Falcon job needs me the next 3 weeks, I aint comin in." I could care less either way but I understand why they don't like to hire guys who have other commitments.

Last edited:
I think it is a travesty that CAL doesn't hire more mil guys. They give up a lot just serving our country and should be rewarded for it. If 1st year pay wasn't so low you would not have this problem.

I think CAL is a great company, but some people are questionable in their motives and treatment of first year pilots.

I'm sure nobody here even knows where that was.
before the "freight area" it was where the old 'horses' were kept.....3,4,7,"curtis comandos"
36th and NW57th (Ludlum Rd.)
Used to "play" hangar pilot in a Comet sitting in the weeds....ah the good old days.......Rode my bike there almost every day.......Its all gone now...now its a "freight area"

Why would an employer want to hire a guys who will be absent for 50% of their first year? Honestly, can you blame them for not wanting to hire guys who can forgo work when they like? A civilian guy cannot walk into the CP's office and say "hey dude, my part time Falcon job needs me the next 3 weeks, I aint comin in." I could care less either way but I understand why they don't like to hire guys who have other commitments.

Are you kidding me? I'll tell you why, because the Military is not just a part time job. They are actively engaged in protecting our country, it's people and CAL. Without them there would be no Continental Airlines. While I agree that some have taken advantage of the system in the past, CAL wants to punish all military pilots. They should learn to give thanks.

Are you kidding me? I'll tell you why, because the Military is not just a part time job. They are actively engaged in protecting our country, it's people and CAL. Without them there would be no Continental Airlines. While I agree that some have taken advantage of the system in the past, CAL wants to punish all military pilots. They should learn to give thanks.

Try not to get emotional here, and no I'm not kidding. Think of it from a bankers/HR prospective. They simple do not want to spend money on guys that will miss a great deal of work. I'm not defending the policy but they are not the only carrier who has demonstrated this unwillingness. Hell, CX is downright open about their objection.

I have heard the same thing from several of my fellow squadron mates about CAL and its mil leave policy. I agree when on mil leave you are gone a bit but its not like you are gone flying a Falcon as ARTCA put it. We are defending out country, and its people. So its total BS that CAL has issues with it. Thats one of their practices that needs to change. Maybe it has to do with the new hires of 83 if ya know what i mean..

Latest resources

Back