• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL JAN Class Breakdowns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't intend to start any kind of anti-GoJet flame war. I've fought that battle in the past and moved on...but I haven't forgotten.

I just think its interesting somebody would list "United Express" as their former airline...because United Express, as an airline, does not exist.

there was an article from the CEO talking about the appreciation of all of the military pilots at CAL and those that were deployed. He made a HUGE point about how over 50 percent of all CAL pilots were prior military and that they drew from military.

Not getting into the well beaten mil vs civ background here, but the contrast between the CEO's article and the hiring backgrounds listed here is very interesting.

A friend in my Reserve unit just got hired by CAL. He is a Comair Captain. The hiring numbers posted lead me to believe there could be some Guard, Reserve, or prior service folks listed by their current airlines, as opposed to military experience. Just my hypothesis.

Has there been any 135/91 guys that get on with CAL - other than the fractionals? Is it a long shot, looks like they looking for a 121 background...?

Very few. Maybe one a month on average. If you want to fly at a a major airline, the best thing you can do to increase you chances is to go work at an airline.

A friend in my Reserve unit just got hired by CAL. He is a Comair Captain. The hiring numbers posted lead me to believe there could be some Guard, Reserve, or prior service folks listed by their current airlines, as opposed to military experience. Just my hypothesis.

I hope you're on to something, but I don't think so. Ive been really surprised by the low amount of military we seem to be hiring here.

I hope you're on to something, but I don't think so. Ive been really surprised by the low amount of military we seem to be hiring here.

Actually, a lot of the people that I've flown with have military backgrounds at some point in their career. Men and women. At this point, I'd say it's fair to call it half. This doesn't mean that they were military pilots though.

Trans States pilots are still bitchin' about Hulas starting UFS in 93 and how they lost all those jobs. What's the difference now?

Actually, a lot of the people that I've flown with have military backgrounds at some point in their career. Men and women. At this point, I'd say it's fair to call it half. This doesn't mean that they were military pilots though.

In my class, a year and a half ago, most pilots were listed as former 121 guys. However, probably half of those 121 guys also had some form of military flying mixed in their careers. There were very few 121 virgins, I think 3 out of 20 were straight out of the military.

Last edited:

LJDRVR - that is 100 percent correct. CAL has always statistically been a major that does not like to hire a "more proportionate" amount of mil folks vs. its civilian folks. Let's call it how it is. My class of 20 guys - 2 mil guys. That's 10 percent - way low and disproportionate. The class after me - 20 guys, 3 mil folks...etc, etc. Look at a typical SWA, FDX, UPS breakdown. A SWA class of 12 folks - typically 5,6,7 mil flyers. FDX has about 50 percent per class, sometimes slightly more. Much more proportionate than CAL. But that's CAL's modus operandi, now - and in the past. Things that make you go hmmm...

Latest resources

Back