• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL JAN Class Breakdowns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not trying to start another civvy vs. military flamewar, but anybody have an idea what would be the proportion of qualified civilian pilots vs. military pilots applying for these jobs?

Not trying to start another civvy vs. military flamewar, but anybody have an idea what would be the proportion of qualified civilian pilots vs. military pilots applying for these jobs?

You just started a flamewar! Just kidding dude...I don't think anyone would obviously have those numbers in the open unless they worked for the HR or hiring department directly. I can tell you there are a lot of app's on file and I know quite a few "very qualified" mil guys with apps in. And I do know quite a few mil guys that had great backgrounds that got turned down recently while there are plenty of "not as qualified" civ folks that do get the job. I guess you have to define "qualified" but those mil folks have 1000 hours or more of high performance jet PIC. But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...CAL can be looking for different qualities than say SWA or FDX. Again, things that make you go hmmm...

Last edited:
My guess is we hire a lower percentage of military than apply, which is unfortunate. You want a well-rounded crewforce. We're a bit weak when you compare regional vs. the Charter/Corporate pipeline too, for what it's worth.

Then you have freaks that did all three!;)

I'm currently working for 135/91 operation flying about 450 hrs a year and would like to make my way over to CAL. I have 2 internal rec's. I should reach all the mins in about 6 months, and I know they are only mins, but which is the best track.

Should I stay where I am and get some turbine pic time while getting the minimum times OR should I apply to a regional (xjt) and stock up on tt time and not go for the pic time to hope to make it to CAL before the door closes? any suggestions...

:nuts: What an odd concept! Acutally growing a mainline airline instead of seeking airlines to aquire and/or merge with. Congrats to the newhires!

Should I stay where I am and get some turbine pic time while getting the minimum times OR should I apply to a regional (xjt) and stock up on tt time and not go for the pic time to hope to make it to CAL before the door closes? any suggestions...

When does the door close? After the closing will they never hire again?

One more point about the class breakdowns..........CAL did have one more class that started on JAN 30th but no numbers are available yet. Figure the minimum of 16 a class, that would make 85 new hires in the month of January. February looks good as well with 4 classes, FEB 06th, FEB 13th, FEB 20th, and FEB 27th.

Who actually sits there in class and counts who came from where and lists it? Is this a HR function or someone really that interested in where they came from instead of studying? Maybe my question is naive but.......... If someone were to ask me where I came from in class I would answer Corrosion Corner. I'm sure nobody here even knows where that was without googling.

Last edited:
Who actually sits there in class and counts who came from where and lists it? Is this a HR function or someone really that interested in where they came from instead of studying? Maybe my question is naive but.......... If someone were to ask me where I came from in class I would answer Corrosion Corner. I'm sure nobody here even knows where that was.

Who actually digs back nine months on FI.com to find something to comment about?

Corrosion Corner is the freight area at MIA. (Google not needed for that one)

Latest resources

Back