• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL DEN and ORD bases???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think it would be smart to move some of the airbus flying to IAH. I think the Airbus can carry a container. That would be a plus on the South America flying.

Its gonna be a fun summer for the reserves. Did it last summer, hopefully not again this summer. I hope the UAL guys coming in will not put up with the garbage that we at CAL have been used to putting up with for a long time. Hopefully at least 100 vacancies on the next bid, which supposedly does not reflect any retirements. If they wanted to be staffed for the summer, they couldn't train enough people between now and then.

Its gonna be a fun summer for the reserves. Did it last summer, hopefully not again this summer. I hope the UAL guys coming in will not put up with the garbage that we at CAL have been used to putting up with for a long time.
They already are not putting up with it. A new-hire UAL pilot posted on another board that he called in fatigued before the end of his very first block of reserve days. Min rest, days rolled, FAR limits, unplanned fuel stop, add-on turns, the usual chaotic reserve pairing. "I got reassigned in one week more than I ever got reassigned in a year at UAL." Welcome to CAL. FYI "reserve reassignment" is a redundant statement at CAL. It's practice not anomaly.

There is every possibility that scheduling will learn to not call a UAL pilot because they won't allow the abuse. They'll call the CAL pilot to avoid the hastle and keep the UAL pilot home as a kind of reserve for the reserves. They treat us badly because we let them treat us badly. Hope we can all learn from this.

This will be easy enough to verify mid way through the summer by comparing the hours the CAL reserves are flying vice what the UAL reserves are flying. It will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
They already are not putting up with it. A new-hire UAL pilot posted on another board that he called in fatigued before the end of his very first block of reserve days. Min rest, days rolled, FAR limits, unplanned fuel stop, add-on turns, the usual chaotic reserve pairing. "I got reassigned in one week more than I ever got reassigned in a year at UAL." Welcome to CAL. FYI "reserve reassignment" is a redundant statement at CAL. It's practice not anomaly.

There is every possibility that scheduling will learn to not call a UAL pilot because they won't allow the abuse. They'll call the CAL pilot to avoid the hastle and keep the UAL pilot home as a kind of reserve for the reserves. They treat us badly because we let them treat us badly. Hope we can all learn from this.

This will be easy enough to verify mid way through the summer by comparing the hours the CAL reserves are flying vice what the UAL reserves are flying. It will be interesting to watch.

Oh boy...is this crap for real?

Its gonna be a fun summer for the reserves. Did it last summer, hopefully not again this summer. I hope the UAL guys coming in will not put up with the garbage that we at CAL have been used to putting up with for a long time. Hopefully at least 100 vacancies on the next bid, which supposedly does not reflect any retirements. If they wanted to be staffed for the summer, they couldn't train enough people between now and then.

Not to worry. Plenty of RJs to pick up the slack.

Yes. He had 25 flying hours + 12 deadhead hours. His 5 days of reserve turned into 6 when they moved his Reserve day off to a later date. After his last flight, he was assigned another flight to ferry an aircraft ... that was when he replied that he was fatigued and did not accept the assignment. If I were exhausted, I would have also stated that I was fatigued and not accepted the assignment.
I expect to be 'hired' at CAL in the next batch of UAL furloughees and will probably be on the line this summer. I'll fly what I can but I'm too old/tired/worn out to push it beyond certain limits. Unfortunately, those limits are less than they were when I was in my 20s/30s/40s.

Three UAL new hires already quit CAL. That might tell you something as well. The treatment starts before you even get here--UAL pilots are already talking about how to get the CBTs done before they get to training because their predecessors are telling them what a firehose it is. Although there is time allotted in training for CBTs, the schedule is so packed that if you walk in without them done you'll feel behind from day one. It is designed this way, to work on your days off without pay.

Three UAL new hires already quit CAL. That might tell you something as well. The treatment starts before you even get here--UAL pilots are already talking about how to get the CBTs done before they get to training because their predecessors are telling them what a firehose it is. Although there is time allotted in training for CBTs, the schedule is so packed that if you walk in without them done you'll feel behind from day one. It is designed this way, to work on your days off without pay.

Well, I've done two training cycles at CAL (73,756) and never once did I do a single CBT prior to my first day in class. I don't like them but the idea that they cannot be completed is a bit absurd. I think CBT's blow but they're not that hard to get through. I really don't care if UAL guys quit. There'll be thousands of applicants to he hired off the street if enough UAL guys bypass. The company want's bodies.....they'll get bodies. UAL furloughees or not. I personally think training at CAL is some of the easiest I've ever done.

The fact of the matter is that the contract blows. If UAL guys don't think they can work under the agreement, than they should stay on furlough. If UAL guys are given a legal assignment and they refuse it, they'll answer to someone for it. If they do it enough times, I suspect they'll find themselves back on furlough. Either way, I don't care. I don't blame them either. Everyone makes choices and I wish them all the best but I hardly think the company is concerned.

There will be qualified applicants lining up for jobs at L-CAL this summer. Unfortunately, the company knows this all to well.

Last edited:
Yes. He had 25 flying hours + 12 deadhead hours. His 5 days of reserve turned into 6 when they moved his Reserve day off to a later date. After his last flight, he was assigned another flight to ferry an aircraft ... that was when he replied that he was fatigued and did not accept the assignment. If I were exhausted, I would have also stated that I was fatigued and not accepted the assignment.
I expect to be 'hired' at CAL in the next batch of UAL furloughees and will probably be on the line this summer. I'll fly what I can but I'm too old/tired/worn out to push it beyond certain limits. Unfortunately, those limits are less than they were when I was in my 20s/30s/40s.

Sounds like the 73.....

I'm not on that aircraft. This month I flew 46 hrs on reserve. I've never been double pumped on reserve and only once did I have a single day rolled. I wasn't used and was on the 1600 flight home. I just completed 4 days on reserve without an assignment. 73 guys my seniority are getting pummeled.

73 reserve is pretty awful. If I were a UAL guy considering a position at CAL...Id only do it on the 756.

Latest resources

Back