C-5 down at Dover (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One less C-5 to mothball...:rolleyes:

They had some kind of onboard emergency but I don't know the nature of it.

CE

CrimsonEclipse said:
One less C-5 to mothball...:rolleyes:

They had some kind of onboard emergency but I don't know the nature of it.

CE

You sick person. I am almost positive I know people on that flight! Thank GOD they all survived. There is never anything positive about losing any aircraft.

No seriously, why is a C-5 crashing on three engines?

This is assuming that #2 shut down, which of course is totally incorrect cause we're dealing with reporters, but given that it did and that there were no other extenuating circumstances, the accident is surprising. My understanding-- admittedly not backed up through experience, so gimme a break-- is that an engine out in a four-engine jet is one of the more innocuous emergencies.

I'll reply to myself because it's hard to get help from a lot of you guys:

"Yep 9G, there must have been extenuating circumstances.... we'll have to wait for the details because three-engine RTBs in C-5s historically have not turned out like this one did due to the fairly routine nature of the procedure."

9G,

Your Monday-morning quarterbacking is coming from the standpoint of somebody without experience, but since you're self-effacing and humble, here's my take, minus any speculation.

Transport category aircraft, both civil and military have specific performance guarantees in regard to accelerate-go with an engine failure occurring after V1. Military FE's are extraordinarily well-trained compared to their civilian counterparts. It's unlikely that you'll see anything involving an error on the takeoff data card or preflight performance planning. The military briefs even routine flights to a degree you would not believe. Like any airline guys, this crew would have been simulator trained and proficient on a variety of abnormals including ones similar to what may have happened.

Unfortunately, there are simply too many variables and possibilities for anybody here to answer what happened. Even the mishap crew at this point is probably not aware of everything that occurred on the jet. Although aircraft performance is guaranteed, the margins are small, and there are abnormals that will kill even a competent crew that did everything right.

Here's an example. Some former colleagues of mine were departing BIKF (Keflavik Iceland) in a Lear 35. Full of gas and people. Legal. They experienced an explosive MLG tire failure 2-3 knots below the V1 speed for their takeoff. The PIC elected to abort. They did a 360 degree groundloop during rollout, skidding to a stop less than 100' from the end of a 10K runway. (With a much lower accel-stop distance for that particular takeoff.)

"Stuff" happens. (In other words there's sometimes a huge difference between what we real pilot get out of the jet versus what the test pilot got while collecting data points in the carefully controlled flight test environment.)

Does this help at all, Sir?

(I've never flown anything much bigger than 50K pounds, but the heavy guys on here will tell you the one thing they never want to see outside the simulator is a catastrophic failure involving engines or tires on a heavy jet close to the runway at MATOGW.)

Any of you FRED guys or gals want to pipe in here and help this guy understand why there's no such thing as a routine (read that easy to handle) engine failure during takeoff on the C-5?

Last edited:
I sensed from a CNN report that they thought the fact that they crashed was because a reserve crew was flying, obvisously they must be really confused and on drugs..........I think I had more time than the active duty IP, and two fresh Lt's combined crewing a 17 I deadheaded on last fall........not to mention the total time of my crew (pilots) was approaching 18k (All reservists)......

LR[EMB]DRVR,

Thoughtful post, thank you.

My apologies to those of you who fly jets for suggesting that powerplant-related emergencies are 'routine'...... didn't mean to trivialize them.

Guess from Lockheed

More speculation for the fire.

I've read claims that on climbout #2 TR deployed, pilot shut down #2 and initiated 180 to land, #1 TR deployed on final.

BZ to the pilot for keeping everyone alive.

Eggman

The last C-5 crash was caused by a thrust reverser deployment on takeoff (Ramstein AB). The C-5 has also had problems with asymmetric flaps and slats. I'm just glad everbody got out OK

Latest resources

Back