Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
340drvr said:
F***ing Ridiculous Economic Disaster

I had always heard it stood for Forever on a RED X. Any C-5 drivers care to define it? I don't think I'd call the Galaxy an economic disaster, either. I think it's proven itself over the years.

looking for some advice!

One of the pilot's on the C-5 is a good friend of mine, I flew with him on Friday on a Lear trip, he's a part time captain for my charter company, as well a number of C-5 drivers. I tried to call the Hospital, the respond "we have no one here by that name". I went to the Hospital they refuse to let me in. Anyone have any advice on how I can get through to see or talk to him?. His father says the military is giving him a backround check every time he wants to visit.

I understand the military is closely guarded over the situation, I just wanted show that his friends and other pilots are glad that everything turned out for the best. Plus, he owes me 50$ for a late night in ACY(kidding!). Any help would be appreciated.

FRED does stand for F**** rediculous economic disaster. It has proven itself over the years, but initially, it had its problems.

If I remember right, the max RECOMMENDED landing wt. was 635,850 lbs.

max landing weight

so what happens if you have a emergency and are above max landing weight?

You Land. Then what? Gear inspection, structural inspection, etc.

I think Swissair 11 (flight number?) discussed "landing weight" issues at length and wasted precious time getting the cockpit-smoke-fire emergency on the ground.

Of course, landing weight is not an issue for them at this point.

727Plumber is right, Max Landing Weight is the same as max Takeoff weight 769,000 lbs. (There is also a max wartime takeoff weight of 840,000 lbs, but this is rarely used) Fredflyer is also somewhat correct, there is a Max "Normal" landing weight of 635,850, but all that means is that above 635,850 there are some sink rate limitations for your touchdown. However, as long as you at least think about flaring, you've met the "normal" landing weight limitations.

I don't want to get into the crew proficiency/experience food fight, but I will offer this observation after having a few years of flying Freddy under my belt. C-5 crews are exceptionally well versed in handling in-flight emergencies because they happen, unfortunately, quite frequently. A guy from my squadron uttered the following words from the grass infield adjacent to the runway after a high speed abort, blown tires, evacuation, etc. on day 4 of a trip that was plagued with multiple malfunctions each day - "Why do we even bother going to the sim, we do this sh*t for real every day!" Of the 3 "heavy" airframes I've flown, my time in Freddy has taught me a lot about handling IFEs...

satpak77 said:
so what happens if you have a emergency and are above max landing weight?

You Land. Then what? Gear inspection, structural inspection, etc.

High chance of a brake fire landing near max weight.
Sounds like this is attributed to engine problems, possible multiple engine problems. Maybe this will light a fire in the Air Force's pants to get the CF-6 engines on the C-5.

I will also attest that reserve crew are very well trained. Most reserve pilots have airline gigs also.

C-5 info

Look at the pictures very close guys http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS/60403023&theme=C5CRASH&template=theme ...I wont say what happened, since these guys are my friends, but speculation is healthy and free therapy, not blame, but speculation...talking about it helps us deal with the fact that some of us are rattled by seeing our invincible mammoth broken into pieces as we drive to work in the morning

Tail 840059
B Model
Max TO Weight: 772K (840K emergency war order)
Max Lndg: 769K

Time of crash was a little before 0645- sunrise 0645. LDG Rwy 32 has PAPIs no ILS
Wind 7kts, OVC010 to OVC020, 9999, DRY
They were heavy...going to spain. So they were over 700K which is considered heavy.

FRED F'ing Republican Economic Disaster ...mix and match the R.

When we used to airdrop, the Rangers called us "The Big Nasty"

The GPWS wouldnt give warning, not because of inhibit mode, but because the gear were down and locked, therefore you wont get the Terrain warning, just sink rate if over 1700ft/min below 300'AGL.

From the photos, the flaps were 40% not full and the slats were out. The TR's appear retracted on all engines, even in the photos.

The C-5 lost at Ramstein 16 years ago...TR's were never listed as a factor...ever. Although us pilots think otherwise. The sole survivor from that crash is still a loadmaster at dover.

God was looking out for those guys yesterday.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back