• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-5 down at Dover (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thats such a huge aircraft, i get to see a few this weekend at an airshow... i hope everyone is ok

Thank goodness no one got killed. I just wanted to say "thank you" to our brave aviators of the USAF or USAFR...

Saw the initial report on CNN by some idiot newscaster that obviously did not know his butt from a airplane wing. He pointed to an engine on the ground in front of the cockpit and said that is the tail that broke off the airplane. Also lots of really stupid speculation about the cause of the crash.

With most journalists, I guess keeping talking takes presidence over facts and accuracy.

C-5 goes dowm in Dover, De

Watching the news and seeing a C-5 in pieces on the ground in Dover. No one hurt. The dreaded three engine approach. The reporter (uneducated idiot) is saying it was the #2 engine that caught on fire so the crew tried to return and couldn't make the runway.

Could some BIG IRON drivers chime in and go over why a C-5 could NOT make it back to a runway on 3 engines.

I know all the facts are not in and that the media never lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

Anybody know if 1) reserve or active duty crew? 2) Dover or Travis crew and airplane?

EDIT: did my own research. Sounds like a Dover mixed crew of AD and RES.

from www.af.mil............The huge cargo plane crashed at 6:30 a.m. EDT today. The Airmen on board are members of the 436th Airlift Wing and the Air Force Reserve’s 512th Airlift Wing.

Last edited:
I've got enough 3-engine approaches in Fred to say that if that was the only problem they should have been able to make it back. We use to do 2-engine approaches at max gross weight in the sim. I have a feeling that a single engine failure was not their only problem. Who knows, though? It'll be a while before we hear what the causes were.

Slug

Every C-5 pilot practices plenty of three engine approaches in the aircraft and the sim. Shouldn't be any big deal at all. If I were guessing, I'd say they had another problem. Fortunate that everyone survived the accident.

I think it's remarkable everyone survived!

Cpt. Underpants said:
From CNN:

There is some SEROUS Aerodynamics at work here!
So according to CNN you can fit almost three Nuclear aircraft carriers in once C-5. WTF do we need carriers for then?

Glad to hear everyone's ok. That'll buff right out...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back