• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-5 down at Dover (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was thinking maybe smoke in the cockpit so bad they couldn't see much inside or outside.

More speculation for the fire.

I've read that #2 TR deployed, pilot shut down #2 and proceeded to return to the field, on the approach #1 TR deployed resulting in loss of control.

Eggman

The Plane beleonged to the 436th Airlift Wing, the active duty unit based at Dover, but being flown by a crew from the 512th Airlift Wing, a reserve unit.
There were two active-duty personel on board as well as 11 reservists, 10 from Dover 1 from Wright-Patt. AFB. Four Civilians were also on board

#1 The object of the game here should be to figure out what happend so we can prevent it from happening again in the future.

#2 There is nothing wrong with speculation so long as everyone knows it is just that. SPECULATION!

#3 EVERYTHING is easier to figure out with the benifit of hindsight. Unless the pilot or crew was grossly negligent, NO ONE should be blaming them for this crash.

My $0.02

huh?

LJDRVR said:
9G,

The PIC elected to abort. They did a 360 degree groundloop during rollout, skidding to a stop less than 100' from the end of a 10K runway. (With a much lower accel-go distance for that particular takeoff.)

What does accelerate-go have to do with that scenario?

I am just speculating here... Two crews leaving leaving Dover... Probably on the way over the pond to Germany... Looks like pallets possibly up front... I am thinking a fully loaded bird at max weight... What is max landing?? Would they be dumping fuel to make landing weight??

Just incredible that there was no fire ball...

Thank God for this one!!!

They were going to Spain, and hell they were so overweight for any type of landing no wonder the thing split up. No ones fault here. What is the Max Land weight of the C5 anyways??

If you look at the pictures, on the news anyway, it appears that the gear had not fully extended. Unless they turned on impact, it looks like they were still pointing inwards.

Latest resources

Back