Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
eggman76 said:
More speculation for the fire.

I've read claims that on climbout #2 TR deployed, pilot shut down #2 and initiated 180 to land, #1 TR deployed on final.

Man thats just a bad day if thats the case. Like having one of those sims with compound emergencies where you think "there's no way this could all go wrong at the same time."

I was just looking at the pictures and it occured to me: Thank god for the switch to JP-8. Twenty years ago you would have seen a totally different outcome when 250,000 pounds of JP-4 ignited.

Politically correct comment:

I hope the Air Force recycles for the environment.

(just think all of the beer cans that'll make!!!)

((enough to keep pilots drinking for a day....mabie two))

CE

Anyone got a crew list? My friend may have been the loadmaster on that one. I haven't heard from him and I have been trying to reach him.

Looks like the crew still had a little left in the "bag of luck" thank God. Someone was looking out for them and I'm real glad to see that all 17 walked away safely.

I've also heard it was an Active Duty airplane and Reserve Crew (must be associate) and they had an ANG deadhead crew onboard.

Last edited:
Kind of like the F16 fighter pilot with engine problems having to be number two behind a B 52 on a 10 mile final with an engine out saying Oh the dreaded seven engine approach.

Just my 2 cents.... The end result I'm afraid will be CFIT. First, the emergency was declared 10 minutes after takoff. Departing at 250 kts minus time to accelerate puts Fred between 30-40 miles from Dover. (Less SID departure turns etc.) The odds of the airplane being recovered all the way back to just 1/4-1/2 mile from the runway then losing control, almost 0 percent. (Could happen, just don't go to Vegas with those odds.) Second, from the pics I saw, almost no signs of scorching or fire from number 2 engine. Third, the right MLG was still intact showing a controlled rate of descent not high enough to destroy all the gear. Forth, my bet is maybe a 40 flap approach with weight around 725-750K with GPWS inhibited, with assoc loss of descent warnings. Fifth, I would wager the runway in question has no ILS or VASI, setting up the potential for a short appch. Finally, I would want to get a MET report to see how much available light there was and the general lighting conditions at the time of impact. This is just my first guess, and there is always the potiential of a multiple failures in the last five seconds prior to landing. From my experience it doesn't seem likely. Anyone else have a theory?

LJDRVR said:
I was just looking at the pictures and it occured to me: Thank god for the switch to JP-8. Twenty years ago you would have seen a totally different outcome when 250,000 pounds of JP-4 ignited.
I can't imagine what the flashpoint is of JP-8 but it's amazing the thing isn't burnt to a crisp.

Shrek said:
How about just wait until the report comes out huh?

Here we go again. These post-accident threads here are always the same. We have a few "glad they made it out alive" threads or "prayers to their family" threads depending on the outcome. Then one guy takes a guess as to what happens. Immediately you get one dude who likes to get up on the soapbox and berate the guy who took a guess and tell him just wait for the report to come out. Anyway this is the Air Force, there's not gonna be a public report n this one I bet.

You can't stop people from speculating. If you don't want to read it, don't read the thread!

So why is a C-5 called Fred? Does it stand for something like the B-52 and BUFF?

Latest resources

Back