• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-337s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On short final, when I'm crossing the fence, I trim full nose up, holding down the yoke so that when I pull the last of the power off, all I have to do is relax my push and the airplane will flare itself. I'll be holding about 75-80 kts on short final, and this will give me about 900 ft landing distance with moderate braking. There is a flap/trim interconnect cable that will trim nose down when the flaps retract.

I haven't noticed a heavy control input pressures, it flies pretty much like a 210.
One time when I was at altitude and wanted to see about max rate decent, I slowed to 100, put in full flaps, and opened just the gear doors, and to maintain 90 in the decent, I was pegged out on the 6000 ft VSI. To open the gear doors, extend the gear, when the doors open, return the gear handle to the down/neutral position. This opens the doors and the gear is still in the uplocks.

As I recall, the later airplanes have the elec. hyd power pack gear system, with just the two position gear switch. But it's been a long time, so I may be wrong on that.

Did the earlier airplanes have all hydraulic gear.

To open just the doors on the elec. planes, you simply extended the emer. hand pump and started pumping, thus beginning the extension sequence.

As I recall from ground servicing, you reset the breaker which engaged the powerpack, thus bringing the doors back up.

Last edited:
Right, be sure to pull the breaker before you start pumping, no electrical power, doors open, power on, doors closed. This is on 1973 337G's and on.

erj-145mech said:
On short final, when I'm crossing the fence, I trim full nose up, holding down the yoke so that when I pull the last of the power off, all I have to do is relax my push and the airplane will flare itself.

Sounds like a great technique. I'd the same to teach elevator trim stall above 2500' AGL. You must refuse to go around then, correct?

ultrarunner said:
Phantom, I owned an H model for several years, and I liked the airplane. The H models were some of the last ones built. It was normally aspirated and the Cont. IO 360's we're quite reliable in my experience.

The later turbo models did tend to be dogs down low as they suffered from cooling problems, especially the rear engine. They were also a bit heavier. I would NOT buy a turbo or P model.

While working as a mechanic in the '80s, when a C-337 (very distinctive sound) entered the pattern, we all headed for the time clock to punch out. I worked on a P-337. Solid airframe. The rear engine is extremely baffeled for max cooling and, oh, it was horrible to time the mags.

Ever see Bat 21 with Danny Clover and Gene Hackman? A true story. Great shots of the O-2.

Best wishes with your purchase.

T8

Last edited:
Saw an artical once where a guy in Texas remover the front engine and installed a 402/421 (?) nose and a PT-6 pusher in the back. Wonder what ever came of that?

I like the 337. Never flew one but I read that it's a safe twin. An artical I read spoke of numbers like 50% power got 150mph on 18+/- gph. That's not to bad is it? Know some guys that flew them in Nam and sware by them.

If you are buying it to complete your multi engine work and build time, keep in mind that it is considered centerline thrust and the time is of little value when looking for that multiengine position in a standard twin.

Propsync said:
Sounds like a great technique. I'd the same to teach elevator trim stall above 2500' AGL. You must refuse to go around then, correct?

When you pull the power off, the nose gets heavy and it keeps you from pranging the nose on. The nose is tough, but it can't handle 4400 lbs of airplane trying to push it thru the asphalt. Like I said, this is crossing the fence, so you're about 10-15 seconds from touch down, so going around is very unlikely. Usually going around is determined before 1/4 mile from the threshold.

On the O-2, the elevator bob weights and springs weren't installed and the elevator has about 5 degrees more travel than the civillian counterpart, so the pitch forces are much different, and less.

I own one. It is a 69. Has the aux tanks. Has De-Ice, which removes some speed from cruise. Plan on 155KTS true. Have about 600 hours in mine. Just spent a lot of time in the gulf coast with it. Wouldn't have flown anything else.

the proper website is

www.337skymaster.org

The other one is defunct.

There is a largish user group, with annual gatherings.

Latest resources

Back