C-337s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
erj-145mech said:
this is crossing the fence, so you're about 10-15 seconds from touch down, so going around is very unlikely. Usually going around is determined before 1/4 mile from the threshold.

Fair enough. I always wanted to fly a mixmaster until now. Most of my go-arounds happen less than 1/4 mile from the runway.

I flew several hundred hours in a H model down low for a NOAA survey offshore. Easy to fly and seems to be very economical. We were limited to 110 KIAS for our survey, but in doing so we flew it leaned to 12 gph total.

Usually you start the taxi with the rear engine, to prevent sucking up dirt/rocks/gravel into your prop (it sits higher than the front) and our plane was placarded for starting the takeoff roll by leading with rear power (so you can be sure it is running).

I never thought the airplane was a dog. It climbed like a raped ape with 4 people on board and the mains full. Landing is a little different than most Cessna's, though. Seems like you can't really flare it and hold the nose off like you would in a 182, but rather give it just a touch of a flare in ground effect and almost "push" the nose down to kiss the mains on. Perhaps because the landing gear is so far aft? I don't know, but it always worked for me...the first couple of times I tried flairing like a typical Cessna single and never had a greaser.

Single engine is a breeze, although I didn't try it at full gross. With two people on board and 3/4 gas it will still climb pretty good, but I'm sure it gets sick like any twin when its hot and heavy.

And the sound? You can't miss it, that's for sure. Sounds like two Harleys with pipes going full bore. I loved it. Chugga Chugga...

As for building time for a job...the employers either accept it or they don't. None of the regionals I spoke with had a problem with it, nor did the freight company I am working for now. It takes a multiengine proficient pilot to fly it, but its not any harder than a Seminole or a 210, if you consider that hard. The only time it doesn't act like a typical twin is when your engine dies...

Xphile said:
If you are buying it to complete your multi engine work and build time, keep in mind that it is considered centerline thrust and the time is of little value when looking for that multiengine position in a standard twin.

As long as you get your multi rating in a conventional twin, it doesn't matter if your twin time is in a 337 or a 310. I got an airline job with most of my multi in a 337, and I now do interviews for that same airline, and Skymaster time isn't viewed any differently than any other twin time.

There are two engines, two generators, two crossfeeding fuel tanks, two generators... there's no difference as long as they're both running.

I used to fly a 336 Skymaster. The rudders are taller and the booms are about a foot lower than the 337s. It is very much like the 210s; if they are flown a lot, the maintenance is reasonable. If they are not flown, expect them to be hangar queens.

Landings in the 337s seem to be conventional, the 336 flap/trim interconnect was disconcerting at first. The 336 really likes to climb with flap settings per the Air Force flight manual. The P337 takes its sweet time to get off the ground.

I've not had any troubles with go-arounds from any altitude in 336s, 337s, or the P337s. I haven't flown the 0-2 yet. Look in the POH for the balked landing airspeed, pitch (up or down) for it, get the flaps to where they belong, then get out of Dodge. That balked landing airspeed is for directional control, not climb.

Lead with the rear engine on takeoff, do a reasonably prudent job of checking the EGTs before releasing the brakes, then go have fun flying them.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

If you are buying it to complete your multi engine work and build time, keep in mind that it is considered centerline thrust and the time is of little value when looking for that multiengine position in a standard twin.

Would you consider F/A-18 or F-15 time of little value as well???

Centerline-thrust only matters if you get your rating in one, not after

Propsync said:
Fair enough. I always wanted to fly a mixmaster until now. Most of my go-arounds happen less than 1/4 mile from the runway.

I find it hard to believe that most of your go arounds are 12-1500 feet from the numbers after a stable approach. Are runway incursions a problem?

I flew mostly at uncontrolled fields, with 3 flight schools, and fit in the pattern with numerous student pilots and the Traumahawks and One Filthy's and the only runway incursions were from animals entering the runway environment.

If you have a frequent problem of having to go around in the flare, then perhaps my technique is not suited to your style.

RightPedal said:
Saw an artical once where a guy in Texas remover the front engine and installed a 402/421 (?) nose and a PT-6 pusher in the back. Wonder what ever came of that?

There was another oddball 337 that had the rear engine removed and in place of the front one put a Garret turboprop. In place of the rear engine went clam-shell cargo doors. Bet that would turn heads wherever you landed

http://www.air-and-space.com/Conroy%20Turbo%20Mods/19740612%20Stolifter%20a%20l.jpg

Then there was (is?) the Riley Rocket conversion, replacing both engines with Cont 550s...300hp each!!! That would be one wild ride. :cool:

crash-proof said:
Then there was (is?) the Riley Rocket conversion, replacing both engines with Cont 550s...300hp each!!! That would be one wild ride. :cool:

Actually, it is dual 520's, 310 HP each. Normal cruise, 210 KTS at 20K.

SE ceiling is 14 K.

Try that in a (insert anyother airplane here).

What ever happened to the 337 that was suposed to out run Citations, or at least nip at their heels. Some sort of new super cam or something...ohhh hazy memory.

Latest resources

Back