• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burden on Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The place I see the most weakness on the "New FO" is basic IFR procedures and ATC procedures. It does not have to be low time FO's.

I do a lot of IOE with "New FO's" It is one thing to try and orient them to a new airplane but to teach hold entries, How to fly using enroute charts, how to make an initial ATC contact, how to even repeat back ATC calls, etc. That is where the challenge is.

I do not expect the candidate to fly the aircraft perfect but they are instrument rated and most have CFII's but yet they can not even talk to ATC properly....they make the operation look real weak and embarass the callsign. They are commercial instrument rated CFII's they should be able to do that...regardless of time because they have the ratings...the problem is that they did not "earn" the ratings they "bought" them.

I have to be way on top of taxi instructions and hold short instructions etc..It is harder than single pilot IFR at times. When I was single pilot at least I knew I was single pilot.

On the other hand I have done some IOE with 400 hour guys (and girls) that handle the IFR enviornment well. I honestly place that to the fact that they had a good foundation in a good school that taught how to use the system from day one.

Just my observations.

ID

I have to be way on top of taxi instructions and hold short instructions etc..It is harder than single pilot IFR at times. When I was single pilot at least I knew I was single pilot.

As a Line Check Airman, I concur. There is a reason that the LCA gets paid an override - it'd be easier and faster to do it yourself, but you're getting paid for patience. By extension, any Captain that flies with new guy after his IOE should logically receive a progressively diminishing pay override. Impossible, obviously, but it points to the tremendous value of experience.

I do a lot of IOE with "New FO's" It is one thing to try and orient them to a new airplane but to teach hold entries, How to fly using enroute charts, how to make an initial ATC contact, how to even repeat back ATC calls, etc. That is where the challenge is.

How the heck can someone hired as an airline pilot not know how to do holding pattern entries or talk to ATC? I just don't get it

I have a read numerous threads talking about how low time FO's can be a burden on their captain. What exactly is meant by this? I figured if someone can pass the interview, and complete training they are well qualified to operate the aircraft.

The reverse is true also, I seen more than enough low time wonder captains be a burden on their F/O's.

EXPERIENCE (or lack of)

Here's my take on the Regionals right now. We have new hires with less than 500 hours total time and what appears to be just enough multi time to get their Commercial Multi add-on. Pair them together with new Captains who are upgrading for the first time, and we have a nice recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

I hate to think that for the regionals, it is just a matter of time before we have an accident or an incident that causes some light to be shed on us in the public forum.

Unfortunately, there is a pilot shortage and this is what we have. Guys and Gals with temporary Commercial Certificates getting jobs flying around at Mach Speeds in and out of some very large and busy airports as well as some obscure and podunk airports with paying passengers on board.

In my opinion, it's the nature of the beast of the regionals now, and hopefully nobody gets hurt or killed as a result.

Fly safe.

Last edited:
As a Line Check Airman, I concur. There is a reason that the LCA gets paid an override - it'd be easier and faster to do it yourself, but you're getting paid for patience. By extension, any Captain that flies with new guy after his IOE should logically receive a progressively diminishing pay override. Impossible, obviously, but it points to the tremendous value of experience.

Half of the check airman override to the captain for the FO's first 100 hours shouldn't be too hard for them to calculate

The place I see the most weakness on the "New FO" is basic IFR procedures and ATC procedures. It does not have to be low time FO's.

I do not expect the candidate to fly the aircraft perfect but they are instrument rated and most have CFII's but yet they can not even talk to ATC properly....they make the operation look real weak and embarass the callsign. They are commercial instrument rated CFII's they should be able to do that...regardless of time because they have the ratings...the problem is that they did not "earn" the ratings they "bought" them.

On the other hand I have done some IOE with 400 hour guys (and girls) that handle the IFR enviornment well. I honestly place that to the fact that they had a good foundation in a good school that taught how to use the system from day one.

Just my observations.

ID

Agreed 100%

Sometimes ill just key up when im flying to ask for direct APE. Cause with some of these wonderkids, it takes 4 radio calls to accomplish what i do in one.

The following words should not be comming out of an airline pilot's mouth:

"This is..."
"AND center..."
Calling every ATC facility (including tracon, tower, ground) "Center"

Feel free to add yours...

Agreed 100%

Sometimes ill just key up when im flying to ask for direct APE. Cause with some of these wonderkids, it takes 4 radio calls to accomplish what i do in one.

The following words should not be comming out of an airline pilot's mouth:

"This is..."
"AND center..."
Calling every ATC facility (including tracon, tower, ground) "Center"

Feel free to add yours...

wearing hats
wearing backpacks
wearing ipods
spiked hair

Latest resources

Back