• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burden on Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was'nt saying there is a magic number of 1000 hours I was merely making the point that at 250 hours your probably not ready.

There is a big difference in teaching someone how to land an airplane and dealing with the specifics of "transoceanic" flight.

Its called empathy. Either you understand it or you don't. No pun intended...

If you are hired to be an accountant, teacher, etc., you are expected to be at least proficient at the tasks required in your position. I am tired of flying with people that could not hold their own in a 172, let alone a jet.

You fly with your FO's in C172's too? Wow...it is nice to compare. So you are going to be a big boy "pro" in a wide body right out of IOE.... I know I won't be and i'll be looking to the Capt to guide and direct me to be a better pilot.

They would not make it a week flying night freight.

Are they trying to make it flying night freight?

But I am expected to train them on basics they should have acquired before coming here.

Yes you are expected. If you don't get it then we all have a problem. it is what it is... why are you trying to control what you can't?

I am not bitter towards these people, just disappointed in a system that allows this to continue.

Sorry, your earlier posts suggested you hate the players.. but its really the game?

I don't care if the FO just came off a four day with your "empowering" captain or a poor one,

I do. I'd rather you fly with an FO that I worked with to be better than fly with a FO that you disrespected and chided... but hey that is just me...

I would sometimes rather have an extra 200 pounds of fuel than someone sitting over there f'ing everything up.

Like I said if you can't put value in the guy that highlights your skillset...

Time out there! While there will always be those who slip through the cracks because their daddy knows the right people, most folks moving on to legacy carriers are NOT 250-500 pilot mill kids. By the time the time they move on, they can talk on the radio, they can discuss how to work through a problem, they understand what to expect with windshear, etc. Huge difference there between the two contexts. So much difference, it really does not hold enough water to discuss.

Not sure if I will ever fly widebody overseas but if I do I hope the Capt will have pateince and show me how to fly the atlantic/pacific/polar and function in the hundreds of different cultures, ATCs, international aviation rules etc...

I guess all the guys moving on to legacy carriers know all that stuff...

Last edited:
No, it means you have attained the absolute minimum standards necessary to be and apprentice pilot. If you have some other real-world experience behind you, then you are ahead of the game. Would you say an instrument rating is proof that the rated person is competant to fly in all types of conditions? Of course not, it means that person has demonstrated the ability to perform a set of tasks to the minimum requirements of the Practical Test Standards. They are minimally qualified to fly in the IFR system and to start learning about all that goes on in it. The rest of it takes more effort to learn safely than the rating did.

I dont begrudge all the captains the priveledge of b!tching about it, but it is the new reality. New hire qualifications keep going down and the reality is that you will be instructing/mentoring/babysitting/etc whether you like it or not. Maybe its not what you signed on for, but if you dont take the time, they wont get any better. And a lot of them really do want to do the right thing. (More or less, what the Rez said)

Any of you low-time guys lucky enough to get upgraded fast: be careful out there! I hope you were paying attention for that brief time in the right seat, and got as much as you could from the good captains you flew with.

"apprentice pilot"

Are you kidding me? With that attitude you sound like a "Apprentice Captain." I guess the FAA requires two crew members because they figure its the only way you can train a real pilot. Give me a break.

Lets talk about the CA who is a burden on the FO! Ive been there and its not fun having to baby sit somebody (usally a chick) that has been around for a while. That shouldnt be any FO's job! Its amazing how some CA's havent figured out there is more to it than being good with the paper work and call outs!

"Usually a chick"

Ever think that your preconceived notions about female (NOT CHICK) pilots causes you to not work well with them? Go back to CRM training. Sometimes the FO is a stronger pilot than the Captain, however they are still the Captain and you are still the FO. Its your job to work together to achieve a acceptable level of safety. I'm sorry you have problems with women being in a position of authority. Welcome to 1960...ohumm.. I mean 2007.

It's not just a problem in the regionals. The heavy freighter business has a lot of problem FOs (and some captains). The companies just pass them through because they need seat fillers and make 'em the captain's problem.

Lets talk about the CA who is a burden on the FO! Ive been there and its not fun having to baby sit somebody (usally a chick) that has been around for a while. That shouldnt be any FO's job! Its amazing how some CA's havent figured out there is more to it than being good with the paper work and call outs!

FYI This is the year 2007AD. You an idiot. (I spelled it correctly this time.)

Latest resources

Back