• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burden on Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speaking of what Island Driver said....my very favorite thing I ever heard on the radio......and this is no BS.....

"Yo YO Yo Clevie...______1627 keepin' it real at one-five thousand"

I had my thumb on the way down to the PTT, but just couldn't think of quite what to say...

Agreed 100%

Sometimes ill just key up when im flying to ask for direct APE. Cause with some of these wonderkids, it takes 4 radio calls to accomplish what i do in one.

The following words should not be comming out of an airline pilot's mouth:

"This is..."
"AND center..."
Calling every ATC facility (including tracon, tower, ground) "Center"

Feel free to add yours...

Whats wrong with just saying center? If your on the freq your on the freq. Sometimes I say So Cal instead of "southern california approach". Maybe I'm trying to save some airtime so every other airline pilot can ask for ride reports.

Oh and the captain I fly with says the co pilots job is to take the blame for everything - "thats why your here." Ok man, whatever floats your boat. As long as the company keeps sending me 3000 bucks every two weeks and pays for another bottle of 60$ wine with dinner we are storted. Say whatever you want bro.

Serioulsy, I never argue with the captain, I always do what he says and I try to learn from vicious brow beatings. Even though they seem like vicious brow beatings at the time I usually learn something.

As for other pilots skill levels I can't say much. Since I fly corporate I've only flown with 4 other captains. All of them were very experienced. I have noticed younger pilots are almost universally quick to jump all over a pilot they percive as inexperienced. Underhanded backstabbing cocky nonsense seems to be the norm for the under 25 catagory. I feel sorry for captains making starvation wages who work IOE with a wunderkind in the right seat. I wasn't ready to fly the CJ1 at 800 hours. Things are easy now but flight instruction can't prepare you for everything you see above 5000'.

My opinion, for what it's worth...

I have found that 300 hour FOs coming out of schools like Flight Safety and other similar programs are extremely better prepared than the 600-800 hour new hires coming in "off the street". Also, I think any pilot who initially trained in a fast paced environment (Class B airports, busy airspace) are more on top of things in the cockpit than those who did their time in, say, Podunk Kansas....first officer or Captain.

The quality of experience matters. Being new, there is going to be a decent learning curve, chances are you've been there yourself, so don't hate. FOs take the chance to learn everything you can from your captain (good & bad), and captains show your new FOs how it's done and what you'd like to see. Let's work together & fly SAFE! :beer:

-FW

Oh and....

The worst thing I have heard (and this was a few weeks ago) was another regional pilot upon receiving their HOLD instructions:

"Ok, you want us to go around the racetrack again. Gotcha. ABC airline out!" Yikes! :eek:

-FW

Whats wrong with just saying center?

I dont have a problem with saying center. Im as lazy as anyone. I have a problem with approach handing us off to tower and the idot checks in by saying "good afternoon center, xxx123 on the ils 18L....roger xxx123, Cincinnati tower, cleared to land 18L."

I dont have a problem with saying center. Im as lazy as anyone. I have a problem with approach handing us off to tower and the idot checks in by saying "good afternoon center, xxx123 on the ils 18L....roger xxx123, Cincinnati tower, cleared to land 18L."

Have a few 26 hr days and you will understand

Ok well fair enough. That is retarded.

Funny that most of these comments about dealing with FOs come from Captains who bought their jobs! Remember the day that you were the FNG.

Epic!:

I think you're naive. Not to be blunt, but one day you will understand that there is more to flying a jet under Part 121 than you will ever realize. I didn't know what was all involved when I joined up. You're not only a pilot, but a 3 ring circus conductor. I do believe now the new F/O's are worth what they are getting paid. The captains now should be paid more than they are.

CM

Last edited:
The worst thing I have heard (and this was a few weeks ago) was another regional pilot upon receiving their HOLD instructions:

"Ok, you want us to go around the racetrack again. Gotcha. ABC airline out!" Yikes! :eek:

-FW

Sometimes the FO just rattles something crazy out before you have a chance to stop him.

Latest resources

Back