• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burden on Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To put a different spin on all this: I have flown with green FO's who were a true asset (knew the books & had the appropriate level of respect for my position and responsibility) and are a joy to share the cockpit with. Then I have flown with people who are not anything like what I just described, and in addition I have to watch them so much, that a normal day is very fatiguing. I am not shooting from the hip, this stuff has happenned to me literally hundreds of times.

To any concerned FO's: if you are worried that you may be one of the culprits, chances are good that you ARE NOT! :) The people I am talking about don't take their job seriously, and don't really care (as much as you do).

A good acid test whether you are an asset is if you are making good catches so the Captain doesn't have to catch them all. He will be thankful. But be careful not to make yourself an ass in the process.

- john

Hello,
I've flown with some really low-time guys and most catch on pretty quickly. It's a near necessity to catch on quickly flying the Beech 1900 with no autopilot. Most are eager to learn and do a good job. What worries me the most is the level of experience in the left-seat coupled with low-time F/Os. Therein lies the true safety hazard, and on any given day you could have a new Captain with an equally new F/O. Not "green-on-green" by the FARs, but potentially just as dangerous. This hazard will continue as the legacies begin to hire in the next couple of years. Stand-by for heavy rolls as we used to say...

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

They would not make it a week flying night freight.

Particularly since they need 1200 to fly night freight.

I just came off of my first IOE trip and my greatest fear going onto the line is a captain who has your apparent attitude that every FO they get is a 200 hr wunderkind.

For what it's worth in my newhire class of 22 I was, at 31 years old with 2300 TT, in the middle of the pack on both of those numbers. We had 2 20+ year Air Force guys, 3 with previouse 121 experience, and 5 coming from 135 (including me out of the above mentioned night freight world). That makes a little less than half the class with significant operational experience and those are just the ones I know of for certain. I believe we only had 2 with under 1000 TT. But I suppose that's the benefit of bringing in guys that aren't hung up on the fastest upgrade.

My IOE captain was fantastic and I appreciate that. I made some mistakes and he helped me out quite a bit but (and he might disagree) I don't feel that at any time I put the safety of the flight in jeopardy. Perhaps you could give your FOs the benefit of the doubt.

"Usually a chick"

Ever think that your preconceived notions about female (NOT CHICK) pilots causes you to not work well with them? Go back to CRM training. Sometimes the FO is a stronger pilot than the Captain, however they are still the Captain and you are still the FO. Its your job to work together to achieve a acceptable level of safety. I'm sorry you have problems with women being in a position of authority. Welcome to 1960...ohumm.. I mean 2007.

The "chicks" I have had a problem with are the queens of failed training events, pro standards complaints, and FO's refusing to fly with them. While their skills were not up to standard (with a few self induced dangerous encounters) their attitudes and use of CRM flat out sucked and was their weakest skill! They take offense to anything and I mean anything! You tell them something they are not aware of that affects the safety of flight, and you get yelled out because they already "know that!" They treat crew members, passengers and the ground personnel like garbage! They are very well known and hated through out the system. One of them only asked for and valued my input when she would loose control of the airplane and I was told the controls were mine! After words I would hear every excuse in the book how it was the airplanes fault....

I have no problem with women pilots, I just have yet to fly with one that was any good! Sorry, but the truth hurts!

Last edited:
. What worries me the most is the level of experience in the left-seat coupled with low-time F/Os.

It is easier to point fingers and place the blame game on the weak FO's thus the CA's can divert attention and convince themsleves that thier own low time and experience, and pathetic attitude isn't a factor.

The "chicks" I have had a problem with are the queens of failed training events, pro standards complaints, and FO's refusing to fly with them. While their skills were not up to standard (with a few self induced dangerous encounters) their attitudes and use of CRM flat out sucked and was their weakest skill! They take offense to anything and I mean anything! You tell them something they are not aware of that affects the safety of flight, and you get yelled out because they already "know that!" They treat crew members, passengers and the ground personnel like garbage! They are very well known and hated through out the system. One of them only asked for and valued my input when she would loose control of the airplane and I was told the controls were mine! After words I would hear every excuse in the book how it was the airplanes fault....

I have no problem with women pilots, I just have yet to fly with one that was any good! Sorry, but the truth hurts!

OUCH!! it does hurt....but I agree

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back