Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

TDTURBO

I know there are a lot of CFII's out there and would like to know if anyone has an IPC format or sylibi that is nearly immposible to pass. I want my CFII to give me one tomorrow becuase Chicago hasn't had much IMC this summer and I don't want to lose my edge I've enjoyed for several years.

If anyone has a difficult syllabus, I would appreciate a look. I would prefer a lot of partial panel even though I have a R182 with SS(slaved 1000X), coupled HSI, S-Tec 50 coupled, (this runs off turn coordinator and not the A/I), engine monitor, Trimble 2000 IFR GPS, KR-87 ADF, DME, Garmin 295 on a ram pedastal between the seats, another DG, back up Vacuum, (precise flight), AD pending, so it's being removed with a sporty's electronic A/I with battery bac-up, KX-165 with GS, KX-155 as back up, A23 portable with VOR, 48 spare baterries under seat and a 396 on order possibly, if they get the magnet out of the antenna.

Did I mention a new stereo PXE PS engineering audio panel with stereo/FM/CD/MP3 player and cell phone interface?

This is used as a distraction in these types of situations and I never have in on when in a terminal area in the clag, so don't worry.

I was going to gut the panel and upgrade to a 480/MX20 but am I glad I didn't, I don't do much as it is shooting approaches to acutal minimums, so I felt no overwhelming need to part with 40K when I have a handheld and 396 for 2200 bucks.

Bottom line, I am so well equiped that I find it hard for a CFII to get me in a jam with failures. Instead I would like to concentrate on intersection holds with left turns off radials, ILS back courses, DME arcs, LDA's, DP's, STARS, VOR A's with slam dunks, ect.......... Using only my handheld at night under the hood with a total power failure maintaining ATP standards. I know, it sounds rediculous but I don't expect to pass, I just want to know the best I can do, fail or not.

I think it would be a good workout. This of course with all the necessary VOR checks and paper work up to snuff. I doubt this CFII will challenge me but I do know people on this board have some sadistic lesson plans and would like to pilfer what I can.

I don't like to waste money with CFI's building time in the right seat, I want my brain to hurt so bad that a root canal would be a picnic compared to this anticipated flight.

The usual IPC I get consists of a VOR into OXI, ILS into VPZ and a published hold on each ending with a VOR A into Lansing. Needless to say I am getting bored, I know some of you guys/gals have brutal lesson plans and would like to explore other options.

Does anyone have a link to this sort of info?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

TIA,

td

Last edited:
here is what you do, give me your airplane and go rent a cheap-0 172 with the basics. If you can maintain situational awareness in one of those you should be ok in life. But seriously if ya got, it use it. like hell I would turn anything in that cockpit off during a hard IFR approach (minus the sound system)

That's a good idea, but I only fly 2 planes, S2B for my aerobatic training and my R182. I don't want to get two sets of numbers interchanged by flying different models, I can fly an ILS hands off in the 182 because I know the numbers to give me 500 ft/min decent at the OM such as 12" and gear down with a half turn of nose up trim. If I go to another plane, it will just f*ck me all up. I want to be proficient, as one could possibly be, in MY plane, not someone elses.

The Instrument PTS now lists specific requirements for the IPC. It pretty much covers everything of substance that can be thrown at you. There's your syllabus, subject to your CFII's choice of emergencies and diversions.

mislife is correct,but youcan choose how hard tomake it. You can do the whole thing partial panel, do the arc right after the missed from an NDB apprach, do it on a windy and bumpy day.

An IPC is only hard if you haven't flown any instruments in a while.

have fun and good luck.

Almerick's got the right idea. Quit trying to impress us with all the widgets in your plane, rent a 172 and have at it. The challenge of flying an unfamiliar airplane sounds like it'd be right up your alley. Take your handheld along if you want to try that partial-panel/handheld scenario. As for numbers, well, if you can't figger out how to fly an ILS in a 172 without hours of practice, you might wanna' consider gettin' out of flyin' altogether. And flying a different plane is one of the best things you can do to sharpen up your scan. You wanna' get better? Fly a different plane once in a while. You allude to this by saying that you know the numbers and you'd get all f*cked up in another airplane. That's a bad sign. Very bad.
And any CFI worth his salt will tailor the ride to the capabilities of the equipment and the pilot AND take into account any desire on the pilot's part for a little torture. That's half the fun of being a CFI!

Fly on down here to KDMW and I will give you a doosy- all in the ADIZ with unfamiliar fixes and appraoches. It will be at night though, and you will never see the runway.

So, are you not instrument current anymore? Why do you need an IPC? Just grab a safety pilot and go for it. Heck, an instructor and a sim would work too!

Anyway...

TDTURBO said:
If I go to another plane, it will just f*ck me all up.

Wasn't that the idea?

Seriously, doing an IPC in your own airplane that you know well is one thing, but doing it in an unfamiliar airplane is quite another. If you want a real challenge, you should go do it in a completely unfamiliar complex airplane. If you just want to look good doing a "brutal" IPC in an airplane that you know well, then stick with your own. I mean, you do remember how to fly, don't you?

-Goose

You all have good points, but the bottom line is I want to be as proficient as possible in MY plane, not someone elses.

It can be argued that you always go back to what you were taught and mixing planes as well as mixing rigs can kill you. If I learn to fly a basic 172 with different switch placement in a dark cockpit then go ahead and try to find that switch or lever in another plane unsuccessfully, then I am defeating the purpose of getting good at flying and handling emergencies in MY plane. Look what happened to Janet at Mt. El Capitan, Yosemite(ooops). She was borrowing a different jumping rig that had the pilot handle on her leg strap instead of the BOC while doing a filmed base jump. This is what they believed to cause her death since she reverted back to her "ingrained" training with over 300 jumps with her rig. She borrowed a friends rig that day because she didn't want hers confiscated, (park policy), and consequently died as a result of flying unfamiliar equipment.

I only wish to become familiar and proficient with the equipment I have so if all fails, I can find every switch, lever and handle blindfolded. Switching planes would only mess me up in a pinch because human nature always goes back to what is ingrained in the neuro-pathways, that's why I want it done in My plane. I am legally proficient but still get a full IPC every 3 months to stay current and proficient. There is never "being too proficient", so I do my best to achieve this. The best way for me is to use the same plane. I hope you get it, if not, you will some day when you are flying an unfamiliar plane and things go wrong, you will automatically go back to what you were trained in the most.

The bottom line is safety, to accomplish this, flying the same plane day in and day out is the best way I can think of to maintain excellence.

So, does anyone have a link to a good IPC workout?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back