Brutal IPC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
labbats said:
Why don't you concentrate on flying in actual instrument conditions while it's raining, foggy, etc?
He prefers to fly in actual icing conditions for which his airplane is not certified, and I don't think he could talk a CFII into going with him.

TonyC said:
He prefers to fly in actual icing conditions for which his airplane is not certified, and I don't think he could talk a CFII into going with him.

Actually it was the 10,000 hr CFI's idea that we go into the thin layer of ice with warm air below to see how it effects the planes flying ability, it was one of the best lessons I ever got. I guess you missed that part of the discussion Tony, you usually don't miss much.;)

I have over 150 actual but that doesn't do me much good since the wx in Chicago has been unusually good all year. I just want to be at the top of my game come September when it gets bad for 7 more months.

You got a problem with that?

Good grief guys. Personally, I think it's commendable to want to be at the top of your game and you're probably going about it the right way. On the other hand...

It's been my observation that those who claim too loudly or too often to be at the top of their game probably aren't.

'Sled

Sounds to me like youre doing ok flying wise, just watch that look what I have/can do attitude when youre in a mess of clouds up there....wait wait FAA..Uhhh...Commercial..Uhh....oh yea Macho attitude, I'd hate to see it kill ya.

tdturbo said:
Actually it was the 10,000 hr CFI's idea that we go into the thin layer of ice with warm air below to see how it effects the planes flying ability, it was one of the best lessons I ever got. I guess you missed that part of the discussion Tony, you usually don't miss much.

TD, I recall that thread and that's not what you said, I looked it up, here's what you said.

tdturbo said:
I know from flying my plane in ice a hundred times exactly how much it takes before I need to take action quickly… No biggy if you have warm air underneath you and plenty of altitude. A good way to see what your plane can handle is find a thin icing layer up high and dive in it and watch what happens. The scarey part is listening to the chucks shedding of in the decent slamming into the horizontal stab!.…. I Fly in and through ice routinely in the winter with a 182rg. I am usually very light and can shoot up through it or I make sure I have warm air aloft or below, but I usually get dusted either way. If I stayed on the ground every time I read a sigmet, I would never get anywhere… Today was a fun day in Chicago, I specifically requested a hold in IMC after getting a Sigmet for ice. I wanted to do this to see how long my mighty 182rg could fly before feeling a stall buffet from the tail. I can't wait for the FZ rain tomorrow.

If I only new where minitour lived I could hold over his house.

It sounds like you do this a lot by yourself, you never mention flying with a CFI in ice until now, unless you've erased it from your former posts (there was a lot of erasin going on).

I can never tell what you're saying is real or not. I hope you've decided to be careful around ice.

TD...
I'm tempted to take back some of those warm fuzzy thoughts I was having.

TDTurbo said:
I know from flying my plane in ice a hundred times exactly how much it takes before I need to take action quickly… No biggy if you have warm air underneath you and plenty of altitude. A good way to see what your plane can handle is find a thin icing layer up high and dive in it and watch what happens. The scarey part is listening to the chucks shedding of in the decent slamming into the horizontal stab!...I Fly in and through ice routinely in the winter with a 182rg. I am usually very light and can shoot up through it or I make sure I have warm air aloft or below, but I usually get dusted either way. If I stayed on the ground every time I read a sigmet, I would never get anywhere…Today was a fun day in Chicago, I specifically requested a hold in IMC after getting a Sigmet for ice. I wanted to do this to see how long my mighty 182rg could fly before feeling a stall buffet from the tail. I can't wait for the FZ rain tomorrow...
I'm afraid you may have a mistaken understanding of the meaning of experience. Having experience doesn't mean that you manipulate the controls “better”, it means that you just fly “smarter”. You mentioned that "I Fly in and through ice routinely in the winter with a 182rg." and "If I stayed on the ground every time I read a sigmet, I would never get anywhere…" I'm going to cut you some slack on this and assume that you were taking a bit of "journalisitic liberty" with what you've actually done.

Flying in ice in an airplane not properly equipted and certified is foolish and dangerous and not to mention illegal. The fact that you've never gotten into trouble in your vast 100 hours or so of "actual" instrument experience means absolutely nothing. You can ignore the dangers, and place your trust in the laws of probability. But remember, if you choose this path, the danger doesn’t go away, it merely lies in wait. Like the pilot said when St. Peter met him at the Pearly Gates, “It never killed me before!”

By the way, here’s another old aviation saying that you might ought to reread. I think pertains to the situation…

“A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills.”

OK, sorry about that guys. It's time to get off the soapbox.

'Sled

Again, it seems with this rehashed topic that the poster knows more than the collective group who have operated safely in the ice for many many hours.

IMHO you are beating a dead horse. And like the dead horse, someone in a 182 who plays with ice ..........

It will be a NTSB report and a hike in insurance for all others to pay for such stupidity.

Maybe he will win the Darwin Award...?????

A link to read about the other people who "knew better".....

http://www.darwinawards.com/

JAFI

Today was a fun day in Chicago, I specifically requested a hold in IMC after getting a Sigmet for ice. I wanted to do this to see how long my mighty 182rg could fly before feeling a stall buffet from the tail. I can't wait for the FZ rain tomorrow...

I know my last post was a mere joke about the macho attitude, but man that type of stupidity WILL kill you...just a matter of time (if what you're saying is indeed true)

More recently he bragged about flying his airplane over chicago for an hour with the engine off and the prop stopped...he was advocating the practice for low experience pilots, and ardently defended the idea. But he can do that, you see...who could tell him differently? He knows more about that airplane, and flying it, than any other soul alive.

If only someone out there could challenge him, but alas and alack, he's the best there is, and it's sad when one has no competition at the top. Now all he can do is help elevate the rest to his level...

If you are serious about finding someone who is better at flying your plane than you, pay for a plane ticket for me and I will be happy to give you a IPC you wouldn't pass. But you have to realize that I don't give sign-offs, they are earned. If you want a challenge I will be glad to help you.

I hope that you are not all type and no action.

Latest resources

Back