Brutal IPC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
Let me assure you, I am a current CFII and I have probably more experience in icing conditions than you have total time. I am also a current CFIG, so I know a thing or two about operating without an engine. To put it bluntly, your attitude and bravado are troubling; but hey, what do I and the other highly experienced pilots that frequent this board know. Teach us oh learned one.

'Sled

PS - I doubt if you would be able to get through one of my instrument compentency checks. I'd be surprised if we even got past the oral.

Hey Led, I issued the same challenge to him earlier and even told him that he won't pass an IPC that I give. I don't think he is serious because now two offers are made to him.

I offered too, but when the only 182RG you've ever flown/soared/iced is the MicroSoft Flight Sim one, you don't NEED an IPC :)
Nice anti-Semitism, too. Very classy.

If you were so good you wouldn't be an expendable pilot flying dangerous missions with a 10% annual fatality rate. Doesn't that tell you something? it should, think about it, you fly the most dangerous type of flying, people die doing what you do with 10's of thousands of hrs because it is dangerous, regardless of your so- called experience. I doubt people would even know you died since you have few friends. I think you need to re-examine your life and start enjoying it instead of ripping those that do.

Always good to hear from an expert in the field. An expert with lots of experience in his own single engine piston airplane doing private flying. I know you're an expert, because you keep telling us all so...after all, that IS the point of this thread.

You ought to know.

People die doing many things, td. Fighting fire to gardening, arresting felons to choking on pumpkin seeds. Whatever the outcome, (as an aside, you may have noticed that I'm far from dead yet), I'm deeply grateful and fortunate to be able to be doing what I do, "expendable," or not.

Your character is clear, and that's what's important in this thread.

gern_blanston said:
I offered too, but when the only 182RG you've ever flown/soared/iced is the MicroSoft Flight Sim one, you don't NEED an IPC :)
Nice anti-Semitism, too. Very classy.

It's called "anti-Israelism" most Jews in this country have it and are disgusted by the way Sharoan(sp)? is running the country, the leaders over there are ruining their country.

I will not take up offers for an IPC from some punk that has less than 10,000 hrs and most of it must be flying 135 Cargo in a plane without known ice. Or from some ERU grad that never saw a cloud, sorry fellas.

Like I said earlier, I already found the guy with the logbook and grey hairs to get me up to speed, thanks anyway.

Last edited:
I will not take up offers for an IPC from some punk that has less than 10,000 hrs and all of it in Cargo in a plane without known ice.

Hold the phone. You have less then ten thousand hours...a lot less. And you fly around single engine piston engine airplanes in icing conditions for which SIGMETs are provided...without known ice.

In other words, you just don't want to fly with someone like yourself. Got it. None of us would.

avbug said:
Always good to hear from an expert in the field. An expert with lots of experience in his own single engine piston airplane doing private flying. I know you're an expert, because you keep telling us all so...after all, that IS the point of this thread.

You ought to know.

People die doing many things, td. Fighting fire to gardening, arresting felons to choking on pumpkin seeds. Whatever the outcome, (as an aside, you may have noticed that I'm far from dead yet), I'm deeply grateful and fortunate to be able to be doing what I do, "expendable," or not.

Your character is clear, and that's what's important in this thread.

Why you and Phil have always made it pretty clear who the "experts" are. I agree, it's always good to hear from one in the feild, you just ain't one of 'em.;)

Since the "point" of this thread has escaped you, it is about getting a Brutal IPC, hence the title. When you learn to read and comprehend all at the same time you can then comment. In the mean time you offer nothing as usual. Goodbye!

Last edited:
avbug said:
Hold the phone. You have less then ten thousand hours...a lot less. And you fly around single engine piston engine airplanes in icing conditions for which SIGMETs are provided...without known ice.

In other words, you just don't want to fly with someone like yourself. Got it. None of us would.

I am where I am by learning from others with more experience than I, not from some babbling idiot that claims to be someone he isn't, now do you get it?

I hear there is a great BBQ joint out there, Carsons?

Lots of equipment in a plane is lots of fun for some of us CFIIs. There are certain failure combinations that can really keep a pilot working. There are some normal operation combinations that can also keep a pilot working.

What do ya do if everything is working? Does the 396 have the flightplan crossfilled from the Trimble, or do you have to enter everything twice?

Are all of the needles pointing to something, or do you have to scramble if one radio quits?

Do you manage your workload in advance, or are you constantly behind the eight-ball when told to change frequencies?

Can you recognize the subtle failures, like a glideslope out of calibration, or an altimeter that is 50' off? Is an altimeter 50’ off a failure?

Is all of the paperwork in order? (My number one problem found in the preflight.) Are the required handbooks that 'must be accessible to the pilot' accessible? Or are they in the baggage compartment? Does the baggage compartment door have the placard? Is the compass card dated, legible, and current?

Is the pilot aware of the NTSB's decision regarding "known ice", which is more restrictive than the FAA's? How about the recommended penalty for conducting flight in known ice (hang 'em high)?

Is the equipment on board working properly or does the pilot make a bunch of excuses for how they cheat the equipment into doing the job, especially the autopilot?

I usually do a ‘9 Lives’ exercise in the sim before flying with a pilot for an IPC, sending them off to an IFR checkride, telling ‘em good luck on their airline interview sim ride, or moving on to the airplane. The ‘9 Lives’ lets me know what needs work. It’s a simple cross country that requires clearance-copying, CFIT avoidance, lost comm procedures, partial panel recognition, unusual attitude recoveries, navigation along airways, navigation equipment failure recognition, three types of approaches including a single-nav non-precision approach, checklist adherence, missed approach procedures, holding patterns both for the missed and in lieu of a procedure turn, alternate airport selection, fuel management, and a whole host of other skills. It’s unrealistic as all of the failures ‘probably’ won’t ever happen to anyone, but even a single one has caused pilots to kill themselves. So, to keep it fun, it’s a game. If you make it through with one life remaining, you win. You lose a life if your pitch exceeds 20 degrees in either direction, if bank angle exceeds 60 degrees, if you spin, hit a mountain, lose control, exceed altitude by more than 2000’ up or 200’ low, run out of fuel, land gear up, go missed at MDA in a non-turbine twin, and a few other things.

After the sim session, we know what needs work. Most of that can be accomplished in the sim if needed. Or, we step into the plane and get to work there. The IFR PTS dictates what a CFII must see in order to sign off an IPC. The pilot’s performance must be up to PTS standards. The PTS gives CFIIs no choice. I must see a circle-to-land approach, and if the airplane is so equipped, a GPS approach and an autopilot-coupled approach. If they show up with an IFR Garmin 480, we’re going to Carlsbad to do a precision GPS approach.

My IPC syllabus is dictated by the pilot and the airplanes they usually fly.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Last edited:
Thanks Jedi,

If you were close I wouldn't hesitate taking your program, it sounds thorough and difficult. That's what I need, having all this good wx in the midwest rotted my skills and I need them back, I found a guy that flys in everything, all the time. He is a legend in the midwest and has taught me a lot or as much about instrument flying as Kirby did with aerobatics.

Thanks for the ideas and possible gotchas!

TDTURBO said:
It's called "anti-Israelism" most Jews in this country have it and are disgusted by the way Sharoan(sp)? is running the country, the leaders over there are ruining their country.

I will not take up offers for an IPC from some punk that has less than 10,000 hrs and most of it must be flying 135 Cargo in a plane without known ice. Or from some ERU grad that never saw a cloud, sorry fellas.

Like I said earlier, I already found the guy with the logbook and grey hairs to get me up tO speed, thanls anyway.

Time in a logbook is no judge of how a man handles an airplane, nor is age. I know a young man who is 16 years old who can fly a Navajo better than most people I know. He has had excellent instruction and the opportunity to fly many different types of aircraft. So while you are off looking for the old grey haired guy who looks like he would be a good teacher, there is a others around you who could give better instruction. What I am saying is don't judge a book by its cover. Actual experience may vary, results not typical, one per customer. Residency restrictions apply, not valid in Maine or Florida, use only as directed, not responsible for lost or misdirected mail, odds of winning depend on the number of entries received,two score and seven years...god dang biatch set me up, I didn't have sex with that woman...

Latest resources

Back