• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking Colgan Alpa News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys have been brainwashed by the free lunch ALPA clones. You know what sold me was when I had a conversation with a lady who represented ALPA and was not a COlgan pilot and she told me how she defended the pilot who landed on a taxiway at EWR . Remember that story. Yeah well the pilot still flies. I am sorry but ALPA protected the weak in that situation and that is pathetic.

I can't wait until you screw up. Regardless of how good you think you are you will screw up. With nobody there to defend you that should just about be the end of your career in a cockpit.

It was a very disappointing day. Unfortunately, some pilots failed to realize the importance of this vote, and their apathy has cost the pilot group a great deal. That "family company" that Mikey keeps telling you that you work for? Well, I hear that Buddy Casey (management at Pinnacle) was present at the NMB offices yesterday for the results. This is a family company? Where exactly does Buddy fall on the Colgan family tree? Not a good sign for our Colgan brothers.

To everyone at Colgan, no matter how you voted, please thank the members of the OC. These guys went out there and risked their livelihoods to try to help the pilots of Colgan and the industry in general. They've sacrificed every waking moment for almost 9 months for this effort. They are some of the finest people I've had the opportunity to meet and work with, and they would have made excellent ALPA leaders. Please don't forget to show your appreciation to them.

Now it's time to start thinking about the future. Is this over? Not by a long shot! The Colgan Pilot Group will soon be proven to be the management-controlled sham that it always was. Pinnacle will soon begin to exert more and more control over the Colgan operation. Things will get worse before they get better. But ALPA will be back. Only 355 days until ALPA can file another petition with the NMB. Hope isn't lost.

LMFAO ALPO couldn't even get 155 votes at Colgan? Fred Rogers will you still be all those pilots neighbors? Godfather are you now going to hunt down the no voters and whack them? This is a loud and clear message that states pilots no longer have faith in ALPA. Decertification at other airlines both major and regional is surely to follow. In fact I would love to get the ball rolling in decertifying them at my new airline, have to wait til my year is up though.

Boy what happened to all that it will pass propoganda? Don't worry pilots always love free food so im sure ALPA will be welcome to campaign anytime at colgan as long as there is free food.
Yeah,
Wait for your year to be up, you dog dirt eating piece of $hit, I am so glad you are someone else's problem! This will rock, you lead the campaign to decertify ALPA at your airline, wham, go to your annual PC and fail, whoop, whoop, you are fired no recourse! But I hope the a$$ cancer gets you first!
Ola
PBR

And I'm sure George when you land the Q on that same taxiway, your gonna sing a different tune as your being thrusted ball deep by the Fed's and the Colgan family stands idle eating Ho-Ho's. A check airman on the Saab in the IAD system, very antiunion needs it more than anyone, considering while giving IOE he landed without clearance, so George it goes to show even you and your antiunion buddys that claim to be such rockstar pilots, will and do make mistakes.

ANYONE who says they will never make a mistake or says they know it all is someone I do not want my family to fly with.

Seacow - Awesome avitar.

Good point Brother anyone who was spinless enough to vote no question. Will you work for any of the majors?????? Remember before you accept that brand new job with CAL, DAL UAL AA They are ALPA So you better hold on to your anti alpa flag S#itbag

Funny thing is he has no problem going to an ALPA carrier though. Imagine that....
[/quote]

I would not use DAL or UAL as good examples with ALPA. Especially UAL. That is a very broken house. AA labor is not very happy with AA management and that has yet to truly be wrung out. I am not longer at CJC, and all I can say to every pilot there with 1000 PIC. GET YOUR RESUME AND LOGBOOK UPDATED. Union or no union you cannot believe how much better it is on the outside. However, SWA, AAI, and FEDEX are non ALPA carriers. They are the industry leaders as far as profitable companies and business plan. Captains at any of those companies are making from six figures to very good six figures. A good portion of the FOs are making as much as regional CAs, but unlike regional CAs that are at top end of scale, the FOs have much better financial prospects. AAI FOs are a bit underpaid, but they will upgrade faster than the other two companies. So there is some balance there. The point is, those pilot groups have legally binding contracts with their respective companies. The difference is that the unions represent their pilot group only. So they do not have to compete for union attention like ALPA carriers do. All of them are part of CAPA, and they meet to share information etc . . . Union dues stay in house, and they are used to represent the pilots that are actually paying the dues. The Teamsters used to be a labor force that had power for the groups they represented. Over the last 20 years they have lost much of that power. ALPA has followed suit. Perhaps ALPA was not the best union choice for CJC. It would have taken years to ratify a contract. The company only has to negotiate, but they do not have to say yes. The regional business model just is not set up for the workers. The regionals that are ALPA leave a lot to be desired. A few have been in negotiations for years for a new contract. While CJC pilots tried to get a contract, and paid dues, the existing work rules would become the tentative contract. Therefore, everyone would have all the same gripes, but still be paying dues. No company rushes to sign a contract. They will delay it as much as they can. The problem with the union drive at CJC was that it was kneejerk. PCL announced buyout, and people scrambled. A thought out evacuation plan saves more lives than a mad dash for the exits. The pilot group should have introduced a better thought out union plan as opposed to bringing in ALPA that has been on a downward slide in credibility for years. So there is no need to pronounce union dead at CJC, but rather get some advice, and weigh ALL options. Then try again.
For those that voted no to any union, and have been there a few years. Make no mistake, TIMES ARE CHANGING. People do not sell a company to become employees. The family is leaving. Outbasing will go away. Plan on commuting to LGA, PIT, IAD, and EWR. PCL will maximize crew usage. You will be looking at 4 on 3 off as a standard schedule. Even less for reserve lines, YES reserve lines will come to CJC. Upgrade to Captain will now involve a few months of reserve at those new bases. Do you have minimum duty pay? Imagine sitting in a dump of a crashpad in LGA or EWR for 12 hours at a time. Getting called for one round trip to cover for a guy close to timing out. If you do not have mimimum duty guarantee then they do not have to utilize you well. So you spend a lot of time getting paid very little. No commuting clause? Try commuting to those very high density bases near holidays, or school leaves. Ramp inspections at CJC? I used to get them routinely, and with a new type on property they will camp out at the gate. Do you trust CJC or PCL to keep those planes TOTALLY up to snuff by FAA eyes? I agree that unions do protect those who deserve to get canned at times, but as Captain you dont really have to do anything wrong to get nailed. Think about those MELs, are they always dealt with correctly? Are the MEL limits ALWAYS adhered to? Do you think the new FO with 200 hours will spot every problem on a walkaround? Do you think the 18 year old FA does her job well enough if the FAA happens to be sitting in the back on a flight? Like many former CJC alumni I have seen how green the grass really is. GET OUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN while hiring is still strong. You have to network, and work your ass off to get a chance. If you do not have an updated logbook, resume, letter of rec, and really knocking doors down then you are doing yourself a disservice. I will have 23 days off this summer, and I make more than I made as a CJC CA working my ass off. I have yet to even make a fraction of what I will make. So try for GOOD union representation, but do everything possible to be gone before the contract is signed. Peace all.

CoolSidePillow, you're absolutely right that guys need to be looking for a way out of Colgan, but you couldn't be more wrong about ALPA. Those independent unions don't have near the protections and resources that ALPA provides. I know, because I work at one of those carriers with an independent union. Quite simply, nothing compares to ALPA.

I know that ALPA has more resources, but is it really the best option for a small regional carrier? No union is perfect. I know the company you work for, and its union, and it isnt the best company to work for. Is there a perfect company? Is there is best place to work? I admit, I never worked for an ALPA carrier, but in the current corporate world, it doesnt look like the ALPA carriers, in general, are doing the pilot groups well. UAL, DAL, USAIR, plus a good many of the ALPA regionals have very unhappy pilot groups. When you are trying to bring a new union on property that might not have been the best option to show a pilot group that has no union experience, and very little airline experience. My point was really focused towards the CJC pilot group, and what might work best for them. Just my opinion, and I welcome yours.

I know that ALPA has more resources, but is it really the best option for a small regional carrier?

Not only is it the best option, it's the only viable option. Independent unions don't work for small pilot groups with low average incomes. They simply can't support even a basic organization.

Just because a pilot group is unhappy doesn't mean that ALPA has failed them. Pilots have some ridiculous expectations sometimes. ALPA can't save you from a crazy right-wing bankruptcy judge. ALPA can, however, limit the damage, which is exactly what it did at the carriers you mention.

Latest resources

Back