• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quote: Was it a co-ed crew? Were they sleeping, or "Sleeping"? Lots of rumors floating around. Only in Hawaii, brah.

look out TROJAN, JO is going to SUE YOU!!

I heard "15 minites not miles on TV this morning.

Beats me. I don't fly Hawaii.

What's more common:

"Local reporter completely screws up an aviation-related story"

-or-

"Pilots fall asleep and fly past destination."

Either is possible. One is far, far, FAR more likely.

Unless you were in the cockpit, you don't have the facts, neither does the press, and there are literally dozens of other things that might have been taking place.

I'm embarrassed that any pilot would take an aviation-related story reported by the nightly news at face value.[/quote

I was on board that flight deadheading home. The FA had to bang on the door to wake them up.

As the resident "Mesa apologist", I feel I must point out a few things:
  • 15 nm off course in a jet traveling 6-7 miles a minute, while not exactly professional, isn't very far off course.
  • 15 miles "out to sea" [GASP!] - - I think anyone who's flown in JFK, IAD, ATL, PHL, etc. would consider 15 miles an insanely short downwind. 15 miles "out to sea" is nothing . . . especially when your entire flight was just conducted . . . "Out to Sea".
  • And they were "lost com" for 25 minutes? Again not professional, but it happens all the time; equipment, ATC failed-handoffs, crew dialing in the wrong freq, etc. Big deal.
No passenger in the back could possibly tell "there's something wrong with this flight path"; even if he did, wouldn't the prudent thing be to ask the flight attendant? This sentence is MORONIC . . . why would the press even include this, unless the flight path truly was unusual (LIKE, OH, INVERTED FLIGHT MAYBE?)

Like ALL aviation stories reported by the press, this story contains 1% fact and 99% twisted, "sexed-up" hyperbole and conjecture. I know MAG is the favorite whipping boy here . . . just remember, YOU could someday wake up and find YOUR flight in the newspaper being grossly mis-reported . . . .

Lost com and a bit of navigational carelessness most likely . . .

Asleep for a 9am flight? Hardly.

(However, I will plead the fifth on what I "heard" routinely happened on the 12am-2:30 am flights out of LAS when I was at MAG. Thank god, I surrendered by badge and my board a long time ago)

Dude Any flip'n flying hawaii local who travels every day, week or month knows the plane goes down well before the island runs out. What is a 20,000ft spread anyway?? Traffic? Too bad he was not wearing the same rose colored sun glasses you are. I think the FAA have a little more than a twisted story. YA

Last edited:
Beats me. I don't fly Hawaii.

What's more common:

"Local reporter completely screws up an aviation-related story"

-or-

"Pilots fall asleep and fly past destination."

Either is possible. One is far, far, FAR more likely.

Unless you were in the cockpit, you don't have the facts, neither does the press, and there are literally dozens of other things that might have been taking place.

I'm embarrassed that any pilot would take an aviation-related story reported by the nightly news at face value.[/quote

I was on board that flight deadheading home. The FA had to bang on the door to wake them up.

Watch It. They now know you

As the resident "Mesa apologist", I feel I must point out a few things:
  • 15 nm off course in a jet traveling 6-7 miles a minute, while not exactly professional, isn't very far off course.
  • 15 miles "out to sea" [GASP!] - - I think anyone who's flown in JFK, IAD, ATL, PHL, etc. would consider 15 miles an insanely short downwind. 15 miles "out to sea" is nothing . . . especially when your entire flight was just conducted . . . "Out to Sea".
  • And they were "lost com" for 25 minutes? Again not professional, but it happens all the time; equipment, ATC failed-handoffs, crew dialing in the wrong freq, etc. Big deal.
No passenger in the back could possibly tell "there's something wrong with this flight path"; even if he did, wouldn't the prudent thing be to ask the flight attendant? This sentence is MORONIC . . . why would the press even include this, unless the flight path truly was unusual (LIKE, OH, INVERTED FLIGHT MAYBE?)

Like ALL aviation stories reported by the press, this story contains 1% fact and 99% twisted, "sexed-up" hyperbole and conjecture. I know MAG is the favorite whipping boy here . . . just remember, YOU could someday wake up and find YOUR flight in the newspaper being grossly mis-reported . . . .

Lost com and a bit of navigational carelessness most likely . . .

Asleep for a 9am flight? Hardly.

(However, I will plead the fifth on what I "heard" routinely happened on the 12am-2:30 am flights out of LAS when I was at MAG. Thank god, I surrendered by badge and my board a long time ago)

THe FA was banging on the door. This is how the Passengers got a little freaked. Also saw Mauna loa behind the shoulder. Not good.

There are few things faster than:

1.The pilot grapevine in Hawaii

2. The FAA racing to the media to pat themselves on the back and

3. The local media rushing go get a story out with reckless disregard for the truth.

There is more to the story....

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASH1002/history/20080213/1925Z/PHNL/PHTO/tracklog
If you go to Google Earth and put in the coordinates 19.70-155.00 Which is the last track for them at 21,000 ft you can plainly see they were sleeping. You make right traffic to runway 26 into Hilo from the North to the South. These guys were past the airport higher than a kite!!

FAA probing whether go! pilots fell asleep on flight

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2]By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
The Federal Aviation Administration has opened an investigation into whether two go! airlines pilot fell asleep during a flight from Honolulu to Hilo last week.
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Go! Flight 1002 was headed for Hilo Airport around 10 a.m. last Wednesday morning but overshot the airport by 15 miles before heading back to land safely.
FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said today that the federal agency has opened an investigation of the pilots' actions during the 29-minute flight.
"We're investigating whether the pilot and co-pilot of a Feb. 13 go! airlines flight fell asleep while the plane was in the air between Honolulu and Hilo," said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor.
Joe Bock, a spokesman for go! declined comment, said the company is conducting its own investigation.
Gregor said the FAA plans to interview the pilots on the flight. Under FAA rules, the pilots could be subject to a warning, suspension or license revocation depending on the findings of an investigation.
A radar track of the flight provided the Web site www.flightaware.com, which shows that the flight remained at 21,000 feet as it flew past Hilo before returning to the airport.
Air traffic controllers, which had been tracking the plane by radar, were unable to reach the plane for 25 minutes, according to a report by KGMB-TV.
Go! is a unit of Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group, which has been a subject of complaints from its own pilots union about crew shortages and aircraft problems. Last year, the Mesa unit of the Air Line Pilots Association protested against the company, saying the shortages were hurting morale and were impacting the company's operations.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back