Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Black leaders unhappy about Delta Air Lines’ diversity.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have a dog in this fight, but as a history major in college I would like to point out that a meritocracy is a myth in this country. You all prove it with the rolodex you have of your buddies that work at such and such a place for when you need an in for that interview down the road, myself included. We all get where we get based on who we know whether we are a minority or otherwise, not necessarilly on qualifications alone. Can anyone of us honestly say there weren't better qualified applicants than ourselves that did not get the job simply because they did not have the right contacts. Why do you think Harvard, Yalies and Ivy Leaguers end up where they are. Don't kid yourselves.

I had to use wikipedia to learn more about Meritocracy. I found it very interesting.

When I turned 18 I didn't know anybody else that was a pilot. I got all the way through my MEI with a creative combination of odd jobs and large loans. When I decided instructing wasn't a very good job I still didn't have any good connections but I was able to land a decent freight job. I quickly upgraded to PIC based on recommendations from captains that could vouch for my competence. From here on out it will be walked in resumes, but merit got it started.

Hmm... I never had anyone to walk in a resume for me, anywhere I went. I'm sure they just hired me because I'm white and have a nice haircut.

I am a white male and spend 12/16ths of the year,or maybe even 3/4ths, working out of that $hithole. I am a minority. There IS a major need for diversity. How about hiring someone that is white,mexican,asian,etc.? I am not speaking specifically of Delta. Everywhere you turn and especially the airport, the employed are 97% African-American and the rest are of other races. I realize demographics play a huge part in all of this, but, how can anyone HONESTLY say that that the African-American population is not getting their fair share of the pie in ATL?

When the white man makes an issue of it then you are called a white supremacist.

I used to work for a City of Atlanta contractor. We were REQUIRED to retain a minority business partner with ties to Mayor Bill Campbell. He, the 57th Mayor, went to prison following his term. Our 58th Mayor is far less corrupt as far as milking the system for personal gain, but still all the offices and policies remain:

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Business/DoingBusiness/contracts_procurement.aspx

The Office of Contract Compliance (“OCC”) is another office that plays an important role in the bid process. The Contract Employment Report Form ("CER") found in the Bidder's Application Package is reviewed by OCC. Additionally, certification for minority and female business enterprise status is handled through OCC.
And then the government wonders why white, male, blue collar, professionals have been hit much harder in this recession than in previous recessions? 80% of all jobs lost have been amongst the only non-minority group. My easy answer is that when governement is driving the economy and not much is really getting produced the market is distorted by government policies.

Rather than just getting rid of the offending programs that waste so much money and time, I am sure they'll have some sort of task force to fund a government study and set up a new bureaucracy to administer some sort of program to try to reverse the discrimination that is allowed in other branches of government.

As for freedom in this nation, I give up.

Last edited:
It so easy to hide behind your computers! Isn't it you cowards...none of you would have the b*lls to say this stuff to an african-american pilot's face...maybe you should try it sometime!

It so easy to hide behind your computers! Isn't it you cowards...none of you would have the b*lls to say this stuff to an african-american pilot's face...maybe you should try it sometime!

I have said it many times myself. Like I posted most I have talked to feel that the efforts of these so called leaders cheapen their accomplishments.

The last african-american pilot I flew with was pissed about crap like this. Why? He was qualified to get his job and a dam#ed good pilot. He didn't rely on affirmative action.

I agree that in our profession the best qualified, and most proficient applicant should get the job. Those of you who have your noses so high in the air at someone other than a white male can rest easy knowing that no airline HR department would hire solely based on race. Those of you who think african-americans or any other race, or women are getting hired mainly because of race or gender...where is your proof? Why don't you concentrate on keeping the wings level and not who is coming in the HR door! I'm mainly directing these comments to ignorant, bigots like this:
Where's my axle grease when I need it?

Now would black leaders be concerned about Delta's lack of an old wooden ship.:laugh:

Hey jetjock6 why don't you explain this nice comment. Don't forget to use elementary terms so all of your (simple) like-minded friends can understand it.

Well-

At least ASA was a great leader in "diversity" by having the first "All-Black, All Female-All star Flight Crew." That was awesome!

-May I suggest a few innovative options Steenland and Anderson can consider:

-First "All-Gold-Toof" flight crew
-First "All-Former-NFL-Gansta-Covict" flight crew (Mike Vick is gettin out!)
-First "All-weave-and-press-on-nails" flightcrew
-First "All-I-Ain't-'Bout-To-Get-Up-To-Serve-No-Drinks-On-Dis-Flight" -lazy-ass flight crew.

-Just go and run with those! I won't charge a thing for the ideas!

-ATL is fertile ground for more important milestones such as these. I am sure RA and Steenland can come up with some more noteworthy exampless of "diversity."

Latest resources

Back