• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

binding arbitration for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed. Unfortunately, it appears that your MECs weren't interested in such a scenario. "Those that fail to learn from history...."

Right, like how APA offered Eagle ALPA to staple Eagle to the bottom of the seniority list right after 9/11. So the ~ 3000 or so layoffs would have all virtually Eagle guys.

Guess who gave who the finger?

I've heard Alaska Airlines....they own the west coast. They fill in Deltas missing link and might tie into why they are giving Horizon the shaft these days.

Last edited:
DAL will be buying UAUA's Pacific assets that will be fragmented shortly. The rush to get the SLI and DCC done is to take advantage of capital that will become available when the deal is done. Moak is accepting binding arbitration because the gains for everyone on the combined list will be far greater than the downside of dragging the SLI out and losing the opportunity of those routes to a competitor

Super92:

Flows don't work well. Consider how Nicolau's seniority ruling effected the US Air pilots who flowed to Mid Atlantic.

Compass is a virtual copy of Mid Atlantic's bilateral flow.

Pilot Disadvantages from a flow:
  • Pilots sold a promise now that the Company might not keep in the future.
  • Usually pay rates are lower to offset the mainline career promise (pay now for something I might not get)
  • Pilot longevity is destroyed as the pilot crosses certificates
  • ALPA has a conflicting duty of representation
  • Pilots separated by an arbitrary line which can effect seniority integration and recall rights **
Consider the alternative, One list
  • Pilots know they have a number
  • Pilots know their longevity
  • There are no "rights" that give rise to an RJDC type lawsuit - everyone is treated equally by their union
  • Scope includes pilots on the list. Company can buy what they want and they WILL BE FLOWN BY MAINLINE PILOTS
  • Mainline flying grows
  • Mainline can buy the best airplane for the market and use it to kick the competition's butt. Why do you think Delta has so many CRJ200's? It wasn't because they were the best choice.
PCL, do you disagree Sir?

** Lets say you and I flow to Compass. The Delta buys Hawaiian. Our seniority would be an afterthought to Hawaiian's 717 drivers. Heck, we are not even on the "property" at Compass. But, you can hold 320, or 757, now. Fair?

One list is a whole lot cleaner. If you don't know who's been winning the scope war, look out the window.

Scope out RJ's and I would never admit it, but we want the same thing. The only way we are going to win is to scope them IN!

Excellent post! ONE LIST IS THE ONLY ANSWER. A staple for the Compass, Comair, and Mesaba would work well for most at all of the pilot groups involved.

You can't set us up and not deliver, who you think?
I remember hearing Whitehurst say, before he quit, that Hawaiian was attractive because they have:
14 767-300ER:

4 767-300:

11 717:

Hawaiian to replace 767 fleet with six A350-800s and six A330-200s
Initial A330-200 delivery in 2012; A350-800 in 2017

The NW guys already are good at flying the A330 and I have heard that RA likes that airframe. The 14 ER's are worth their weight in gold.

Excellent post! ONE LIST IS THE ONLY ANSWER. A staple for the Compass, Comair, and Mesaba would work well for most at all of the pilot groups involved.

Why lump Comair and Mesaba into the same mixer as Compass. The Compass situation is very much different than the other two. Compass employees are under much higher risk. With greater risk comes greater reward. Knowing that there is a high likelyhood of my being furloughed by the end of the year because of flow down (it will be my 3rd furlough in 1 year) I would be offended if Comair or Mesaba with their non-flow down rules were included in a staple and ended up very much senior to me.

Why lump Comair and Mesaba into the same mixer as Compass. The Compass situation is very much different than the other two. Compass employees are under much higher risk. With greater risk comes greater reward. Knowing that there is a high likelyhood of my being furloughed by the end of the year because of flow down (it will be my 3rd furlough in 1 year) I would be offended if Comair or Mesaba with their non-flow down rules were included in a staple and ended up very much senior to me.

I agree. Also, CPZ didn't hire 300 hour wonders. A majority of the new hires at CPZ were VERY experienced for a regional airline. I hope CPZ can be added to the SLI.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back