• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

best approach in aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IGS 13 into hong kong (checker board approach)

But the best one I've ever done is VFR up and down the hudson. AT coex we used to fly the ATR's up and down the river. Depart EWR head for Govenors Island turn north bound and pass within 3/4 mile of the trade center, then right turn over central park, north tip of Rosevelt Island, LGA twr Cab, then exit over the south stantion of the Throgs neck. FREAKING inreadible. ALL at 1500 Feet! Inbound was the same just in reverse. Must have done it hundreds of times and every single time it was special. By dec of 2001 they opened the route up again and we flew it before the TFR was put into effect. Very Very sad.

Neatest one I did was a couple days after John Glenn came back from space and we didnt realize they had a ticker tape parade. The TCAS looked like a wall of airplanes about 200 ft below us! We lost count of helicopters at 35!

Ok One more, We were heading north bound up the river one night and my cap says, looks like Yankee is all lit up tonight. So I asked LGA tower if it was a world series game. He says Ya Wanna take a look? Did we HELL YA! So he says, ok stay rights at1500, you'll have the goodyear below you at 1000 and LGA departures above you at 2000. So we sat there over the world series doing turns around a point with 46 peeps in the back. Freakin increadible

BOS

Here is one for for the turboprop drivers:

Boston - ILS 15R transition to the visual 4L.

Fly the ILS to 15R down to 1000'. Turn right to enter the left downwind along the Charles river and head for the skyscrapers in downtown. Make the sharp left turn back towards 4L and wings level just as you touch down. For extra fun try and make Foxtrot for the turn off.

For departures try the Kennedy Nine departure with the Idlewild climb off of 31R in JFK. It requires an immediate right turn to 090 right after takeoff and a requirement to remain within 2.5 DME of the VOR before reaching the 090 heading. Considering you begin the takeoff already about 1.3 DME from the VOR it ends up being a very tight turn.

The best approach in aviation is the NDB-A at Portland-Troutdale (TTD). It's especially fun when flying against the traffic heading into PDX on either 28L or R.

"Troutdale tower, Cessna 1264U, Laker inbound"

Re: BOS

NEDude said:
Here is one for for the turboprop drivers:

Boston - ILS 15R transition to the visual 4L.

That is a pretty fun approach, even though it scares the passengers! The TCAS usually chimes in during that approach- "Sink Rate! Sink Rate!"

Another fun one is the visual into Palm Springs coming from LAX. Cross over the mountains at 13,000' on a 20 mile final- cleared for the visual.
'You're on a one-way express elevator to he11, going.......down!'

Two of the best

I would vote for the NDB-A into CDV (Cordova, Alaska). A great approach with a transition off of the JOH VOR to the HBK NDB then pick up the GCR NDB. Three different nav aids, timed MAP, circle to land... It's all good!
My second choice is the Arc to the Special VOR-2 into ADQ (Kodiak, Alaska) with a circle to land on rwy 36. Always a crowd pleaser with wind, rain and a low overcast at night.

River Visual

When I was an intern at AA I was jumping from JFK to DC, I got to the cockpit and asked what the winds were at DCA. They said perfect for the river visual, just what I was hoping to hear.
That was an awesome appch, and I am not sure if they are using it anymore, but what a thrill.

D

PS I am surprised that has not been mentioned yet.
PPS another favorite appch is any NDB since it usually requires some very creative maneuvering to get to the runway of intended landing

A couple of choices for me would be the NDB DME to DUT (Dutch Harbor, AK), or the MLS STOL RWY 6 to VDZ (Valdez, AK).

Haven't done either in many years, but to this day, they stand out.

Latest resources

Back