• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Being let go on probation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At my airline, the mgmt routinely forgets to do probation interviews... go figure. The 1-year recurrent is a watered down oral/checkride profile... no biggy. What airline flunked you on the MEL? And how did you flunk it anyway? Don't you just fill out the book and read the rules for whatever is broke?

Out the airline. Who wants a newhire doing MEL's anyway (no offense at all)? All new FO's need to do is know to tell the captain something is broken. After that, the captain writes it up. I can see this as something to go through in cruise during OE as a working scenario. Just reading the book doesn't mean you'll be a write-up wizard on day one. MEL's can be complex, and expecting newhires to know it all is absurd. I'd rather them know more about the systems, so if a MEL comes up, they'll at least know what will be affected. Even on the line, if you had a question about an MEL, ask the captain. Most would be more than willing to show you how it will affect operations.

Long story short, bummer dude. You aren't the first, and won't be the last. Take it as a learning experience and you'll be more successful the next time around.

It sounds like the company is Eagle.

I was thinking the same thing....and that would have been his first mistake.

On a side note, if it is Eagle I know at least one pilot who failed his 1 year check ride, resigned in lieu of termination, that we have hired here at Republic.

Last edited:
Don't let a failed checkride get you down brother. Everyone has tanked one at some point. Like the other posters have said, just be honest about it when asked and use it as a learning experience. Pilots are subject to a pair of very insidious diseases that hit us at the absolute worst times: white coat syndrome is one and checkride-itis is the other. You get used to the checkrides after a while, but there's always going to be a little twinge of anxiety no matter how jaded you are.

Just enjoy a few cold barley sandwiches, sleep it off, and you'll be fine.

As far as future employment goes, I'd recommend getting your training folder from Skywest to see what is in it. They should provide this to you for a nominal fee, if anything.

Future employers will get the file, so there's no point sugar-coating what happened if they're going to find out from a PRIA report anything you're trying to hide.

Just my .02. Always best to be honest in an interview, but there's no point volunteering dirt on yourself if you don't have to.

As far as future employment goes, I'd recommend getting your training folder from Skywest to see what is in it. They should provide this to you for a nominal fee, if anything.

Well if Skywest has my training folder I'd be scratching my head as to why. haha However, you do have really good advice about getting hold of my training folder. I'll get in touch with my old employer and make that happen. It would be nice to see what was said. I guess I do need the info to properly defend myself in the future.

7574ever,
the biggest difference is :
- did you fail the training?
- did you resign? (did it show as such on your records)

You can always request your PRIA records.

It took me two years to recover from the ********************ty treatment i received from SW and found a courage to apply for another regional. I did it and got hired. I was lucky enough that the seniority #1 pilot in my interview agreed with me that i was not treated fairly.

If you are not a hated minority like i am it will be a bit easier for you to get hired when the hiring picks up..

Good luck..

Where's our "Mesa Sucks" post in here? Shouldn't that have shown up?
Anyways...you may want to try a corporate out fit with a King AIr, small jet etc....findapilot.com is a good place to start (assuming you don't want to instruct too much). Usually these places do not care too much about how you have fared at a 121 place. In any case, like I said before, it's not necessarily the kiss of death that it feels like.

Latest resources

Back