• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Being let go on probation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of us go through rough patches in life (I'm in a real bad one myself right now - probably losing my medical). Whatever you do, don't sit and stew over it. Talk to some close friends or family. It's happened, life will go on. It can be hard to see out when you are at the bottom of the pit, but eventually you make it out. Best of luck to you.

I completely agree. Things will get better. I'm just a little edgy right now.

My last post wasn't directed at you. I'm frustrated because I don't take alcohol and flying lightly. I just don't want to be made out as something I'm not. Since I've started this thread I've been flooded with PM's of people wanting to help me and offering job leads. I don't want this thread to turn into something that makes me out to be a young punk who has issues with alcohol...all due to some overblown story of something that happened a year ago.

I appreciate all the help and encouragement from everyone so far and all those that have sent me PM's.
It seems to me that your problem is not that you drink too much, but that you don't drink enough. If you had put in the effort required to build your tolerance up then you wouldn't have been shaking your fanny up on a table after three and a half white wine spritzers.

Also, you might want to buy a pair of steel toed boots, find the guy who was showing everybody the party pictures, and kick him repeatedly in the nads.

The fact of what happened a year ago in training (which was nowhere near the big frat party it has been made out to be on here....if it was I think I, and pretty much the entire class, would have been let go right then and there) would come back to bite me after a year of me trying to be the most professional and courtious pilot I possibly could.

One of the inherent problems in this industry is that too often it puts in power small, miserable people who have long memories and short tempers. Meaning, you never know what will be held against you and when. Never mind one year down the road, some of these SOBs remember things for decades.

Go fly cargo. You're not "drunk" until you're being carried out on a board to be thrown in the street. "Too drunk" is only used in extreme situations (eg. "Bob got a little too drunk last night and wound up at the morgue".) And no cheese-eating punk will cost you your job over what you do when you're not on duty because no one believes that what you do when you're not on duty is any of their business.

Last I heard Ameriflight and Flight Express were still hiring. Airnet is hiring in to a pool, I think. Something to think about, anyway.

Regardless of what you do, don't sweat this kind of thing. Maybe they needed to get rid of some junior F/Os and don't want to pay unemployment. Maybe some anti-fun type is still playing payback for all those lockers he was stuffed into. Who knows. Relax, go get another job, and call that chick and tell her to lose your number.

You have to be careful, we had a guy fired for going hard the night before recurrent, which I thought was the whole purpose of recurrent. The company drove him to the hospital for a BAC test, was above FAA(company) limit and was terminated. Company reasoning was he was on duty at the start time of recurrent and violated company alcohol policy. Weak and ridiculous but technically correct.

As long as I have been at SkyWest I have seen very few people fail there probation ride. More fail there upgrade then probation at SkyWest. I don't know why everyone is so scared of the non-union thing. It was way worse when I was at Eagle.

This guy is not even talking about SkyWest. He is TSA or Eagle. My guess Eagle they had very hard probation/check rides.

I didn't even know Skywest had a first year probation. Pretty low key here compared to other airlines with unions.

No oral for Skywest guys?

Latest resources

Back