• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Becoming a Regional Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you're flipping through some magazines and you see an ad that says you can be a pilot in 6 months? How good a job do you suppose that could be? I haven't found too many ads saying, "Become a neurosurgeon in 6 months!" " I went from a dead-end job to Cardiologist and you can too!"

Realize that your entire career and quality of life from training to "retirement" will depend on access to easy credit, since you won't really make much money. Take a break from the drums for a weekend and seriously think about how practical it will be to live on $40,000 or less for the rest of your life. The wages you see today, as bad as they are, are likely to be the highest they will ever be. If you look at this job realistically and throw out all the nostalgia and stereotypes about the Captains with the Harleys and the sailboats, and realize what you are getting into is a job with about the same salary and benefits as a department manager at K-Mart, then you may escape the disillusionment that many here are facing.

The FedEx guy likes his job and for good reason: his company is in a business with sufficient margins to pay him AND make a profit. Most airlines are not like that and they are making up their revenue shortfall by taking it from the employees. They are not changing their business model to make more money, they are merely adjusting the expectations and payroll to accomodate the failed business plan and hoping for cheap fuel someday.

Life is only so long, so do what you love. But love something loveable.

Working ramp will give you a feel

I worked ramp until I graduated college only to get furloughed!! thats right a furloughed ramper but I also got an upclose view of what life would be like a s an RJ pilot....I am now in the insurance industry saving money (32k 1st yr)to finish off my ratings and an AFB aero club. I was one week away from going to ATP with financing in hand and told them screw it. I can finish off for 20k at an local aeroclub(offut AFB) versus 50k which turns into 100k once you get the loan paid back. My point is that I miss this industry very much but I will NOT get into a rush to BOW DOWN to mediocracy!!! (i.e Mesa..etc) so I am taking my sweet A$$ time ,I would rather CFI for 5 years and then "upgrade" to single pilot ops versus regional flying right now in a CRJ with low time. To all you aspiring pilots thinking about an academy, remember there is no rush, you probaly have no real concept of what life will be like as an RJ pilot. DO YOUR RESEARCH!! Many of you will probably change your mind, and for those of you who have it in your blood, (God Help us all) do everything you can to bring this industry back......STOP FLYING FOR TURDS INSTEAD OF DOLLARS.... I know its a cool jet but trust me you wont care after two week s when you get that 1st paycheck..and you want to vomit....All of this comes from my observations of this industry as a ramper.....so there you have it .

JSky26 said:
Dave,

How long were you bummin' till you realized you couldn't do it anymore? :)

too long. way too long. now i'm playing catchup so i can start doing it again on a more permanent basis.

MAPD a good option

I went through the MAPD (Mesa) ab initio program a few years ago and had a lot of success with it. It's a hard program and somewhat costly (my total flight costs were about $36K), but if you graduate with a high enough GPA, they'll interview you for a job. Most grads get hired. I went into the Dash-8 right out of school. It was very tough but it can be done if you work hard.
I think you'll hear pretty much the same thing from any MAPD grad. We were all very happy with the program (in my class at least). Most of my classmates have moved on to the majors (SWA, AirTran, and Alaska).

The FBO/instructing route is also good, but those guys didn't seem to have an edge in ground school or sim training at the airline. 50% of my Dash-8 new hire class washed out, and all of them were CFI types from Mom and Pop FBOs.

Again, it all depends on you, your preferences, and how you learn best. You have to be very disciplined and willing to dedicate your entire life to training as you are working your way toward that first job.

Regional airline flying is tough and the pay is low. The airline industry is hurting right now. It's a hard life sometimes, so do a gut check and make sure you REALLY love flying. If your gut still says GO, then set your goals and go do what it takes to acheive them.

Best of luck to you!

ROJO said:
Regional airline flying is tough and the pay is low. The airline industry is hurting right now. It's a hard life sometimes, so do a gut check and make sure you REALLY love flying. If your gut still says GO, then set your goals and go do what it takes to acheive them.

I would do more than a gut check. Do a financial review of what you bring in and what you need to pay out. Also keep in mind the life style of a regional pilot as well. I read a lot of people within pistol range screaming about quality of life. I'd find out what the screaming is all about before you decide on anything.

Its a better direction to become a dentist or an accountant or somethin. Then you will be able to afford to fly for fun...

Getting a Regional Job

Yeah, it really isn't all that terribly hard. Just sign up and agree to work for no money. No real experience necessary. My first year at Comair under their industry leading contract GROSSED 15 thousand. I could have made more working a kiosk at the CVG airport. This after I made $110K the year before with AA. But I desperately needed a job with medical benefits so there I was.

I am now in my first year at CAL and may make 30K. One of the problems is that there are to many young pilots who only care about flying jets and laying flight attendants. They don't mind living 5 people to a 2 bedroom apartment because it reminds them of living in the dorm at the college they just left. Just pay them enough to buy beer and sate their imature egos by posting signs in flight ops like "Through these doors walk the worlds best pilots" and life is good.

I can't recommend anyone to get into this business today. The economics are such that salaries and benefits will continue to experience significant downward pressure because the blood sucking public wants cheap tickets and doesn't care if it results in an entire industry of working poor. I know that is strikingly harsh rhetoric, but it is for the most part true. I am 40 years old with 2 children, and feel very little security looking forward.

When one is young and flying a Beech 1900 for $13/hr, one doesn't see the long view. I remember those days well, and the pride I felt looking at that "big" airplane and thinking, 'Wow, I really made it'. The only problem is those low wage and benefit expectations will follow one throughout ones progression. The notion that one will just uprgrade visa vie Captancy or to a 'major' airline to better pay is fools gold.

United for example is better than Mesa, but it is true that purgatory is better than hell. It doesn't mean that one got a good deal.

The ubiquitesness of pilots from low paying carriers like Chitaqua and Mesa at the 'low cost large carriers' is no accident. The management of these airlines know that these people are conditioned to cruddy work rules and low pay and expectations, and bank on that attitude when they negotiate with their respective pilot groups. Hence, high management pay and low labor pay. That is how you end up with Jet Blue pilots who think they have this wonderful deal with crap pay,crap work rules, no labor protection to speak of, and getting to re-interview for their job every 5 years. Of course they will tell you through their blue Kool-aide stainded lips that this is all just a formality. Lets' see if it stays that way as labor costs continue to creep up for them.

Add to that that your government which is totally bought and paid for by big business is about to let a foriegn owned air carrier into the US and force wages downward even more. Additionally, NWA airlines is exploring the option of having cheaper foreign crews fly some of their international flights ie outsourcing. All this with record numbers of furloughees out on the street.

Sorry to be so negative, but times are tough, and if you have a choice, think long and hard. Don't end up 40 years old with a family of 3, endlessly starting over. I only have the 10,000 hours in my logbook to market myself with, this is all I have ever done. My degree is literally in flying airplanes. When I was 25, I thought that was all I would ever need. Then I grew up and found out I was wrong. If you can avoid that road, do it.

Good luck-all.

Last edited:
I'm just curious - what are the flight benefits of working for a regional? Do you have a free flight pass that allows you to fly wherever you want/whenever you want? Is there an opportunity to take your spouse on free flights? I know it may seem like a stupid question, but my girlfriend and I rack up close to $2,000 a year in flights (domestic). It doesn't make up for the crappy pay, but is that a "benefit" one should consider?

Latest resources

Back