Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
funny stuff

no1pilot2000 said:
I am interested in possibly becoming a pilot for one of the regional airlines. I have looked through the internet and aviation magazines and have seen ads for some of these "professonal pilot" schools that "specifically" train individuals to become pilots for regional airlines. Can anyone give me some advice on either becoming a pilot for the regional airlines or spending the HUGE amount of money attending these schools.

This guy is pretty funny. This was posted at 11:16 today. Take a look at the post in the Aviation Mechanics forum at 15:38 TODAY - a mere 4 hours and 22 minutes later. Wow we must be some unbelievably disgruntled pilots to be able to turn a newbie this fast. That must be some kind of record!!! All said - it's probably for his/her best.

no1pilot2000 said:
I do appreciate everyone's advice on my interest in becoming a regional airline pilot. In addition to your helpful comments, I also have talked to several people who are currently working as pilots the regional airlines and they are not happy with their career choice. These pilots need a second job as a CFI just to suppliment their regional pilot job. I can cross this "particular career" in aviation off my career list.

Thanks again all!!

Buddy,

I read your post earlier and didn't post for fear of coming across as too harsh or even selfish. But in light of what appears to be your final decision, I have to congratulate you for looking at the facts that have been presented to you and making the SMARTEST decision you've ever made. This industry is going down the crapper faster than a bonanza full of doctors (as someone else once quoted). Just ask anyone that has attended those Air Inc conferences. A thousand pilots for 200 slots. Those are the odds. Unreal and depressing to be exact. Thousands of pilots with the same or better qualifications than you and only a few slots to be filled. In the real world, as I like to call it, you will have much better odds with much better compensation, no question about it. I do realize that it's hard to let go of something you like. But you're still in the beginning stages and soon you'll be living a better life and it will all be a distant memory. If.... and that's a BIG IF, this industry ever comes back to what is used to be or even close to it, then and only then, you can perhaps think about doing it. Otherwise, you have chosen well for yourself. Remember, shiny pretty jets don't put food on the table. The amount of money you bring home to your family does. I'm a regional Captain, and I still have to find other things to do (businesses) to supplement my income in order to have a descent life. Good luck and again my hat's off to you for proving that you're alot wiser than we first gave you credit for.

Last edited:
I'm just curious....

How many of you, if you could start all over again would choose a different profression and why? What would it be?

There still has to be some decent flying gigs out there...corp/frac?

lol...I don't even know why I look at this board anymore...it is pure discouragement for me to be working on my comm ticket at the same time.

don't get discouraged....there is a lot of bad crap going on in this business right now..so you will hear about it..but there are also great jobs out there..i feel lucky enough to have one...good luck

JSKY26, regardless of the muck being said here I still wouldn't change my profession. Perhaps that's naieve (perhaps I might be able to spell one day?) but I still thoroughly enjoy my job and flying. Beats sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours a day making more money (and I've done that!).

I'm truly sorry that you have to read what this board has to offer. However, there is a wealth of somewhat accurate information on here. This whole thing about the airlines being the worst that they've ever been is not a myth. It is the honest truth. Again, thousands of pilots and very few good slots to be filled. You can go to regional if you so choose. But I guarantee you, in less than a year you will have the same pains some of us are having. Reasons, well they might be debatable but here's my prospective; too many pilots due to recent furloughs and perhaps pilot factories, managements eversince 911 trying to take us for all our worth with paycuts and QOL life issues, managements starting separate companies to pin one group against the other and create division, holding companies using the legal system to create elaborate schemes to again lower our wages, managements using the threat of cheaper labor by others to subdue you into taking paycuts and last but not least, BECAUSE THEY CAN. They know that for every ONE of us there are 100 waiting at the door just ready to jump in that shiny new jet. Some even for free since they may have a big trust fund. Bottom line, if you want to make a living in this field, the odds are totally stacked against you at this particular time in history.

As far as other careers, I would chose something in the oil business, attorney, medical, international business because of the growth in China, or engineering of some sort. Just my take on it...

Last edited:
It ain't hard getting a regional job. Just instruct til you got 1200 hrs and get 200 multi. Its easier to get the job then trying to get 200 multi. If you have to, just split the multi time you buy with someone.

The regionals will take anyone.....just don't pay very much money. Pilots have been hired with less than even 1000 hours. Lots of slots are opening up becasue many pilots are walking away from the job.

Go for it my man.

I guess I have one thing going for me is that I am young (20). If I do decide to switch career paths it won't hurt as much..

But simply to say I don't think I could sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. I know there are jobs out there that have you up and about but there is something about that alure of flying as a profession. Obviously the glamour is gone but I'm not in it for that. I love to fly and I could see no other way of making a living. I would rather be a poor pilot than a rich investment banker. Is that wrong to say? Maybe I am naiive but I guess we are supposed to be at this age.

Right now I am single and don't have a lot of responsibility (except my education), but I guess if I have a family one day it will be hard. How do some of you guys deal with the family issues? I realize it is hard but I know some people make it work.

Thanks for the insight.

Sad but True

Unfortunately, it's true that this has become one of the more depressing times in the history of commercial aviation. On the bright side though, planes tend to fall out of the sky far less frequently than they used to. Sure, you've got your occassional Airbus that decides to land in the woods or refuses to listen to steering commands, but they're working those bugs out. And no matter how hard managements try (and they are trying REALLY hard), they can't take the joy out of the experience of flying. If you really love to fly it's a feeling you are unable to ignore. I often find myself frustrated by this career choice and have thoughts of walking away from it. Then I go fly again, and all the nonsense that goes along with this job seems to be left at the gate. If I had it to do all over again I would first go get a degree in some specific skill in high demmand that pays well (aka: doctor/lawyer/etc...), then I would make some money and get my ratings. At some point I'd get myself to a position to both practice my trade and get a job at a regional. A good example would be the several doctors that we have flying at ASA. This way you've got something to fall back on if/when you lose you medical and/or your company's management decides their Golden Parachutes are worth more than having a healthy company and the whole thing goes tango uniform. Also, if you've already got some financial stability that first year pay thing won't hurt quite so bad. (Another idea is to fall in love with and marry a rich woman.)
Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Blucher:beer:

i went to an academy and yes it was a massive ripoff that i will be paying for for a long long time. This industry is the most f'd up industry i have ever seen too. whoa, the only thing that is good about it is the flying. it is a lot of fun . but everything else SUCKS

Latest resources

Back