Becoming a Regional Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JSky26 said:
I love to fly and I could see no other way of making a living. I would rather be a poor pilot than a rich investment banker. Is that wrong to say? Maybe I am naiive but I guess we are supposed to be at this age.

That is precisely the attitude you're going to need to get past training, instructing and your first few years at a regional. So at least you've got that going for you. I say go for it. It sounds like you know exactly what you're getting into.

My advice to anyone who really wants to do this job is to find a good PUBLIC university or college with a flight department. I've flown with several San Jose State grads and they've all impressed me. I'm sure there are some other state schools with good aviation programs. The private schools like ERAU are not worth the extra money.

JSky26 said:
I would rather be a poor pilot than a rich investment banker. Is that wrong to say? Maybe I am naiive but I guess we are supposed to be at this age.

Right now I am single and don't have a lot of responsibility (except my education), but I guess if I have a family one day it will be hard. How do some of you guys deal with the family issues? I realize it is hard but I know some people make it work.

Thanks for the insight.

The problem is once you have a family and a mortgage there is a neverending supply of kids willing to do your job for free. Wages will always be lower in the regionals. Once people spend some time in the industry their outlook changes and they become a bit more practical. If you want to do something fun when you're young that doesn't pay well try being a ski bum or boat bum. I've been both of those and that beats any job.

Dave,

How long were you bummin' till you realized you couldn't do it anymore? :)

I do attend a collegiate program so I feel good that I'm not wasting my money by going to Riddle or DCA (even though it is still expensive as hell...I can't imagine how some of those kids finance that). The little money I make on the side is playing drums in shitty ass bars on the weekends...its not much but it is a great time...couldn't take that away from me

5ontheglide said:
This guy is pretty funny. This was posted at 11:16 today. Take a look at the post in the Aviation Mechanics forum at 15:38 TODAY - a mere 4 hours and 22 minutes later. Wow we must be some unbelievably disgruntled pilots to be able to turn a newbie this fast. That must be some kind of record!!! All said - it's probably for his/her best.

Disgruntled... naw that's for Post Office employees. We are far beyond that point.

Be careful what you wish for! I wouldnt recommend this career to anyone. I love flying, but I wish I had a good paying, steady, 9-5 job with stablity. I live like a nomad and have pennies. Maybe someday I will have a nice 75k a year corporate job flying. But I will be 35 years old. Most of my friends are in their late 20's with nice houses, wifes, and cars.

You can get to one without spending all that money. And you can get to one spending all that money.

You can get all your ratings on your own for less, instruct a little, and then apply when you have the minimums.

The regionals will have a hard time getting qualified pilots for a few years so it won't be too tough to get on.

I would not spend a ton to get into this business.

Have a backup and don't go into big debt to get here.

It is fun but I would be careful.

Good luck.

av8er2 said:
Have a backup /quote]

Best piece of advice you will ever hear about going into this business...

I unfortunately got an A&P as my backup to flying thinking it was the way to go, :confused: if I could do it again, I would obviously get into something totally unrelated to aviation.

I agree with all those folks regarding going to a flight academy or an accelrated school. I went to CAPT and am now 3+ months on the streets trying to land a job. I pretty much spent all my money and now I'm dead broke. I can't even work for a regional because the student loan payments monthly is horrific and I won't be making enough money to eat and have a roof over my head. I'm going back to my old career path where it's stable.

Ilikeairplanes said:
Be careful what you wish for! I wouldnt recommend this career to anyone. I love flying, but I wish I had a good paying, steady, 9-5 job with stablity. I live like a nomad and have pennies. Maybe someday I will have a nice 75k a year corporate job flying. But I will be 35 years old. Most of my friends are in their late 20's with nice houses, wifes, and cars.

I'm in my upper 30's, and I'm still waiting for the nice houses, wives, and cars! (Okay, I do have a nice wife, who is standing over my shoulder right now).

Latest resources

Back