Becoming a Regional Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

I am interested in possibly becoming a pilot for one of the regional airlines. I have looked through the internet and aviation magazines and have seen ads for some of these "professonal pilot" schools that "specifically" train individuals to become pilots for regional airlines. Can anyone give me some advice on either becoming a pilot for the regional airlines or spending the HUGE amount of money attending these schools.

These schools are a waste of time. Get you licenses, flight instruct, then get hired to make well under 20,000 dollars your first year. Don't expect to make over 40,000 for at least 2-3 years of working for a regional.

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Why would you want to buy your way into a dying career, that will cause you financial trouble, ruin your family life, hinder your chances with women, and force you to find another career when your 30. This is the way it is, anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something. Once again, I state this career is NOT what you think, its a miserable existence. Here at NWA, they are worried about some of us commiting suicide, that should tell you a lot.

Also, the jokes on you if you go to one of those schools in the magazines.

The schools are BULL$HIT. Big fat waste of money. Get your ratings at a local FBO for about half the money or less, get a job instructing where they pay you about twice what the 'big' schools will pay you, and save yourself a ton of money. Believe me, you'll need it on regional wages. I made from $23-$35 an hour as an instructor at my local FBO, where the 'big' schools might pay you about $12. We didn't even have a twin trainer. You'll get twin time, you just have to be patient. Somebody will buy a Seneca and need 25 hours with an MEI for insurance. Some old codger will have an Aztec or something that he's scared to fly by himself.

Those big flight schools are there for one reason and one reason only......to dick you out of money. They have no interest in you as a student, seeing you move on, getting you to an airline, or whatever else they love to print in those shiny happy dancing leprechaun f-ing gumdrop house magazine ads. Truth is, most of 'em suck. Only thing they give a crap about is getting as far into your pocketbook as they can. Learn at your local FBO. It's cheaper and better.

YourPilotFriend said:
Also, the jokes on you if you go to one of those schools in the magazines.

If you HAVE to learn the hard way about the industry...

Go to a local flight school and get the same ratings for 1/3 the price. Unless you are a card carrying member of the golden sperm club, you will need the money for your first year or two in the business.

Second, go to a fractional or find a corporate gig. The "regionals" are dying on the vine, as they have been infected with Mesa/Ho-Jet cancer. Sadly, this is going to take a few more years to cure.

..... (decided to be thankful for what I had instead of complaining)

Last edited:
The main reason the big flight schools flourished over the last few years is because
they all had some sort of an agreement with a regional airline that enabled the student
to fast track to a regional job. By attending one of these schools you could get an
interview with around 1200TT and 100ME. If you didn't attend one of these structured
programs you typically needed 3000TT and 1000ME and probably some turbine time to get
an interview. As a result they were able to charge a premium for their
services.

Now that some regionals are hiring low time pilots again there is no reason
to spend the big bucks required to attend one of the brand name schools.
There are more than a few second tier Part 141 flight schools that provide a fast paced
structured learning environment but don't cost an arm and a leg. They will be a bit more
expensive than a mom and pop FBO but the advantage to these schools is that they usually hire
their CFI graduates and have a steady stream of students for you to teach. There is also
probably a better chance at getting some ME time as a MEI.
In today's hiring market a CFI with 1200-1500TT and 2-300ME will be able to break into the
regional ranks. It's still very competitive, but it's doable and not a longshot.

Plan on 6 months to a year to finish your ratings through MEI. Budget about $30-35K. CFI for
about 12-18 months and then start to apply to the regionals. Everybody wants to start out
in a CRJ or ERJ but take the first job you can live with. There are several 1900 operators that
will hire a low time pilot. You may also spend a 6 months to a year flying single pilot freight
while waiting on that first 121 gig. The pay will suck for a while. Kept your non-training debt
low. Don't get married until you can really afford it.

Some of the guys scaring you off are just cynical. Flying for a living is not a bad way to go.
It's not for the feint of heart. There will be setbacks. Go read the recent thread about
perserverance. You could be flying at a regional about 3 years from today if you stay focused
on your goal. Good luck.

Do not go to those academies....It's a rip off. N need to go there. Go to your local airport, find a descent flight school with 6 to 12 airplanes, a twin and start study. Get your licences, CFI for a year or two, then apply to the regionals...if they are still there. you will spend around $30K , instead of $60K in one of those academies. You will have the same chances to get hired at the end. I did.

no1pilot2000 said:
I am interested in possibly becoming a pilot for one of the regional airlines. I have looked through the internet and aviation magazines and have seen ads for some of these "professonal pilot" schools that "specifically" train individuals to become pilots for regional airlines. Can anyone give me some advice on either becoming a pilot for the regional airlines or spending the HUGE amount of money attending these schools.

how about this...get all your ratings..then be a flight instructor..then maybe be a multi-flight instructor...then get a job flying checks in a baron...then upgrade to an MU-2 or a LRjet..and get a type in the LRjet...build your time and then you will have some quality experience to operate an RJ and carry my family members...do that for a few years and then come sit next to me....or go into our armed forces..protect our asses for 10 years and then you can apply anywhere...it's that easy...

Latest resources

Back