• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bad News for Indy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ANDY, When you refer to "greedy SOB's" I hope you mean some of the folks running the show. Perhaps some of the pilots would fit the bill (by drinking the coolaid), but most are just working for a paycheck and want their company to do well. As pilots, we have no control over our managements behavior...wish we did though.

In any case, if FLYI goes ch.11, couldn't that hurt UAL? They get to stick around while not paying bills. Doesn't look like they are taking any traffic from UAL though after reading the load factors from both airlines.

46DRIVER,

I wish we had more of a brotherhood. I wouldn't gloat over anybody's troubles. Say that reminds me, you posted something about "mortally wounding a major airline," way back when FLYI was getting going, referring to the affect they would have on UAL. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Andy,

If you were at ACA a year and a half ago, would you take a 3% pay cut and sink or swim on your own or let Ornstein and Mesa steamroll over you and then do the same work you just did for 30% less? The whole idea of working for JO (=Frank Lorenzo) was enough to make me puke. I would have left this place within months and done my **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**edest to drag the whole place down.

UAL was able to replace FLYI alright. With Mesa, Transtates, Shuttle America, Chataqua, Air Wiskey. Besides ARW, Im sure I forgot some other regional who used to fly for UAL ex but wasnt good enough but now is providing sooo much better feed and level of service. Oh, and that on time % is greaaattt....and customer svc, wow's everyone. And the facilities....they dont call the G terminal at IAD the Ghetto terminal for nothing.

The company felt that there was too much risk staying with UAL. For me I would rather fail on our own than be Mesa's ho. Only time will tell I guess...

As far as FLYI pilots being responsible for taking your job...give me a freakin break. Yeah, we were the ones who rammed airplanes into buildings. Yeah we were the ones whose management gave you Contract 2000, gave you 'Lets merge with USAir', gave you 'we'll get the business traveler back'. And, boy I tell you what, UAL's business plan has really changed alot since 9/11. Is that why UAL keeps getting those exclusive extensions in BK court bc their plan is so good??? No offense to any UAL pilot, including you, but take a look at the events around you, your management, and look in the mirror.

I wish you no ill will, only good luck. No matter where you work in this industry today, we all need that.

The "B" word

Pencil I-Air onto the bankruptcy rumor list: After just four months of operation, I-Air is "looking at large losses" and a potential Chapter 11 filing" by January, said a Wall Street analyst quoted by The Washington Post (free registration). "It's clear to us that Flyi's business plan isn't working," UBS Investment Research Robert Ashcroft wrote in a research note. I-Air spokesman Rick DeLisi wouldn't comment on the Wall Street change, telling The Associated Press: "We wouldn't talk about something that's speculative." The carrier is scheduled to report its third-quarter results a week from today. Ashcroft said high fuel costs were primarily to blame for his dire projections on I-Air. Ironically, Delta's woes could also have an impact on I-Air. Ashcroft tells AP/Forbes that if Delta files for bankruptcy — as many expect — such a move could saddle I-Air with rent payments on 30 planes it previously operated as a regional partner for Delta, which would likely walk away from its leases. Now, for the good news: Even if I-Air does file for bankruptcy — and that's a BIG if — the carrier would likely continue to operate as normal for the foreseeable future as it reorganizes in bankruptcy. I-Air's earnings report will give a better glimpse if bankruptcy is a real threat — or just speculation. Posted at 9 a.m. ET

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm
Doesn't Look good, Best of luck to my formers employees and friends.

it might work out better for Skyway with the DOrnier jets. If deltas cash is to low to assume the leases, flyi will be stcuk with them , something they can not afford. so they might get rid of them really cheap, just to lower their burden.

skykid said:
46DRIVER,

I wish we had more of a brotherhood. I wouldn't gloat over anybody's troubles. Say that reminds me, you posted something about "mortally wounding a major airline," way back when FLYI was getting going, referring to the affect they would have on UAL. I wish you guys the best of luck.
If you say I did, then I probably did - but I would like to see the entire quote in context. It sounds more like an analytical observation of what I thought would happen - not wishing ill upon any of the employees there.

Andy,

Thats a crappy comment to make! What comes around in this busy, usually goes around. Enjoy your furlough and your attitude!

To my ACA brothers! I want to wish you luck, I have a bunch of old FlightSafety people over there! Good luck, I can say your one of the few Regional Airlines that has a pair!

andy, im sorry that you bought into all that military spoon-fed bull while drinking martinis at the 0-club in spokane. you werent owed "your" united job and flyi didn't "take" it from you if you have been on the street that long you could have gotten two different J4J jobs with both skywest and mesa that all you had to do was to show up and sign up for some work.. you wouldn't even have to go to the trouble of knocking your squadron ring on the table for the job. it was given to you by your alpa brothers at mesa that "took" your job. but i guess since you are a skygod why would you want to fly anything like a rj for second year pay.

in other words, cry me a river biaatch and get a job...

I shorted the stock when they announced they were going at it alone. I just thought they would have a hard time at first like so many startups. I guessed right. I was thinking about covering the short until this new press release. Instead I placed a stop-loss order to protect me against any upswings and still allowing profit if it sinks any lower. Anyone else playing this game?

"It sounds more like an analytical observation of what I thought would happen - not wishing ill upon any of the employees there."

46DRIVER, I think that is a fair statement. Changing subjects, I don't think anyone can blame FLYI mgt - planning fuel expenses at $30/barrel was logical - now contending with it over $50? Absolutely crazy.

Latest resources

Back