Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babbit Selling out On the 1500 Min Hire Rule....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My apologies. I must have you confused with another Skywest poster.

Apology accepted. It is clear that we are both very passionate about this profession and the direction it is headed. Let's keep the campaign going. :beer:

There are a LOT of pilots at the regional level who could never make it as a military pilot. As it stands right now, all it takes to become a regional pilot is a nice installment from Daddy's (or Uncle Sam's) credit card. Zero to hero in $100k. As others have already stated, you are comparing apples to oranges.

And there are military pilots who don't succeed in 121 flying as well.

And there are military pilots who don't succeed in 121 flying as well.
Yeah,
The willingness to bend over and grab their azz cheeks, while buttering their own tater with epoxy and broken glass doesn't come naturally. 121 pilots set their standards low and frequently fail to meet them.
PBR

Let's not turn this into a pissing contest- Bottom line- we have an OPPORTUNITY to sway our congressman and media- CUSTOMERS WANT EXPERIENCED AVIATORS! They THINK they are getting experienced aviators and they are often NOT. There's no doubt about that- and they have no mechanism for knowing how experienced their pilots are - they buy a ticket on a legacy and can end up with any variable of the experience spectrum- this should be changed. 1500TT is not that limiting./ No matter how much talent and training you have- experience is key- I find it suspect for anyone to argue that they became a lesser aviator with experience.

Take the time to write your local paper- give them your resume and your viewpoint. Increase standards and experience. Take the time to write your congressman, and cc Babbitt, Obama, your senators, and your state lawmakers. Hell, write to your city council. NOW is the time for some long-awaited and LONG-NEEDED changes. We can affect that change. Talk to everyone you know- get them to write letters. Expand our circle of influence.

ive got a LOT of observations-- have you?

there is no reason to go to 1500, it is much more important to focus on the quality of the training received at the regional level

You have literally and seriously got to be JOKING with that statement. Talk about burying your head up someone's butt.

Apples and oranges, my friend.

A 200 hour military pilot has just participated in a training program in which he was a hunted animal, not a valued customer. Also, he's probably still in flight training (FRS, etc.), and if not is very closely monitored by personal-attention squadron standardization and training program (extremely unprofitable--lucky the military isn't in the business of making money).

It goes even further than that. To fly jets in the Navy, only the top 50% are eligible to start training. Not all of those guys select jets, so maybe 40% start in the T-45. Probably around 15-20% of those guys don't make it. So about a third who start Primary Flight Training go on to get winged. Knock a few more off who can't night carrier qual or have other issues. So the "200 hour" military guy is probably comparable to the best 1000 hour civilian. Then he flies as a wingman and is monitored for darn near the rest of his career (every landing, then various quals which are attained or you go home).

Still want to compare that, "Scrubby"?

When anyone tells me a 200-hour wonder trained anywhere is better than another 1000 pilot, I have to raise my eyebrows. I've flown with some great military guys and I've flown with a few I wouldn't trust to "haul rubber dog$#!%". Then there are the yahoos that think they are much better because they wore ties while being trained the "airline" way. Of course, there are those who think they are captain material at 500 hours and pissed off at the world because they can't upgrade in a B777 at 1,200.

At 2,500 hours (the minimum to upgrade at my Co.) most guys aren't even a pimple on the ass of a good captain. The best pilots I know are the ones that know the difference.

Babbit is doing what the deep pockets tell him, if he doesn't play ball they will just get rid of him one way or another. I heard deep sea fishing is lovely this time of year, what you say?

Latest resources

Back