Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babbit Selling out On the 1500 Min Hire Rule....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez,

I want to hear ALPA's stance on this issue. And don't give me the, "it's inevitable" line we got with age 65. Not only are the 200 hour pilot factories unsafe but they have caused a LOT of damage to our profession.

A 200 hour wonder has no business being in the right seat of a commercial airliner, PERIOD!

But he or she can fly a high performance jet or a large transport in the military to defend your freedoms? I am not ex or present military!

There are a LOT of pilots at the regional level who could never make it as a military pilot. As it stands right now, all it takes to become a regional pilot is a nice installment from Daddy's (or Uncle Sam's) credit card. Zero to hero in $100k. As others have already stated, you are comparing apples to oranges.

"zero to hero in 100k"....thats well put...

Rez,

I want to hear ALPA's stance on this issue. And don't give me the, "it's inevitable" line we got with age 65. Not only are the 200 hour pilot factories unsafe but they have caused a LOT of damage to our profession.

Since you're a non-union "Skywest Pylot," why do you care? Jerry will just take care of everything, right? :rolleyes:

Since you're a non-union "Skywest Pylot," why do you care? Jerry will just take care of everything, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the stereotype jack@ss. Maybe if you did a little research you would figure out that: 1. I am pro-union (voted for representation during my time at SkyWest). 2. I don't work for SkyWest anymore but pay ALPA dues just like you.

Rez,

I can't give you ALPA's stance... not sure if they even have one as of yet... I can offer my personal view....

Legislation is the better way to go.... Babbitt wants to fix the problems "in house" so he can get the credit... that is fine. But the problem is.. policy changes are easier implement AND to reverse or alter than a CFR.

I'd rather see "an Act of Congress" then a FAA department policy. Recall, GWB changed the DOL's LM2 reporting requirements for unions costing us dues payers millions of dollars in admin costs...

It might be that a President a couple of terms from now, simply has the FAA or DOT secretary change, not for the better, these polices that Babbitt made...

Concerns are in the details... policy or legislation with vague words that allow corporations wiggle room. Worst is language that allows airlines voluntary compliance. Airlines will never comply. As soon as one airline ignores a voluntary compliance and gains a competitive edge, the others will follow... perhaps 8 hours scheduled rest is an example...

Even after the policy or legislation is real, there is the lobby to deal with the interpretation of the language....

We will have to see...

Last edited:
Thanks for the stereotype jack@ss. Maybe if you did a little research you would figure out that: 1. I am pro-union (voted for representation during my time at SkyWest). 2. I don't work for SkyWest anymore but pay ALPA dues just like you.

My apologies. I must have you confused with another Skywest poster.

Every man has his price... It didn't take long for the ATA to figure out Randy's!! Hes in there pocket. What shocks me is how blatantly obvious they push their agenda without any recourse..

I can't give you ALPA's stance... not sure if they even have one as of yet... I can offer my personal view....

Legislation is the better way to go.... Babbitt wants to fix the problems "in house" so he can get the credit... that is fine. But the problem is.. policy changes are easier implement AND to reverse or alter than a CFR.

I'd rather see "an Act of Congress" then a FAA department policy. Recall, GWB changed the DOL's LM2 reporting requirements for unions costing us dues payers millions of dollars in admin costs...

It might be that a President a couple of terms from now, simply has the FAA or DOT secretary change, not for the better, these polices that Babbitt made...

Concerns are in the details... policy or legislation with vague words that allow corporations wiggle room. Worst is language that allows airlines voluntary compliance. Airlines will never comply. As soon as one airline ignores a voluntary compliance and gains a competitive edge, the others will follow... perhaps 8 hours scheduled rest is an example...

Even after the policy or legislation is real, there is the lobby to deal with the interpretation of the language....

We will have to see...

I've already emailed my congressmen and hope that my colleagues are doing the same. I believe we have a unique opportunity to bring about some very positive changes. Thanks for the information and keep it coming.

Latest resources

Back