• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pile O', yer back! Word on the street was that your last catfight got a bit out of hand and you earned that dreaded third strike. How ya been? Excited about Merger Mania? Sounds like there could be a new uniform in it for you which, plus a full length mirror, would be just like a brand new girlfriend, huh?

Retard:
Still hanging out in the men's room looking for dates I see!
Stop back when you have less time!

Did you cross an ocean after the failure?

As the box jockey stated, relatively speaking, Atlantic crossings aren't all that critical. Smart? That's too difficult to define and too subjective. Safe? Well, BA and the PIC had numerous hours to develop a new gameplan/flight plan, fuel burn, etc.. before they coasted out, I'm guessing they found themselves over the revised burn and decided to land short. I highly doubt that they decided to coast out without developing new ETPs for an additional engine out, rapid D, 3 engine divert.

How much gas was in the tanks when they landed? Might have been a relatively conservative amount, might not have been. We don't know, so why waste time second guessing. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he determined that he could legally and safely continue his flight, then why not move his passengers closer to their destination and his aircraft closer to a company maintenance base. I don't see anything wrong with that. That's what good pilots are supposed to do, once they are assured the safety of the airplane and pax are not in jeopardy.

I suppose the safest course of action is always: don't take off. Or drive to the airport, for that matter. Or petition Boeing for a 5th engine on all 747s. But then I guess people would start diverting immediately if one failed.

Some interesting pictures taken by a Heathrow resident photographer can be found here:

http://www.heathrowpictures.com/pictures/pictures.html

A pilot attempted the same 'double engine failure' scenario at 400-600' in a 777 full motion simulator and found that the glide distance and subsequent touchdown point was almost exact to where the BA plane seems to have been put down.

Guys, look at the picture of the damage to the rear right wing area. It looks like the RAT was deployed. That certainly gives credibility to the dual engine failure scenario.

I did not mean to imply low on fuel to the point of a fuel emergency. Just perhaps low because they were at the end of the flight. The redispatch function as I know you are well aware of, is just a way to carry less fuel and perhaps more payload to destination. Yes 10 hrs is relatively a short flt in the 777, but still a redispatch is still in good order to minamize the fuel requirement while maintaining a good margin of safety.

Regardless there have been some good points so far on this thread. Hopefully it was not just a run out of fuel situation.......

Birdman
Bagram
On tour with the 82nd Airborne

For what it's worth, there is hardly any benefit of redispatch flight plan on a 10 hr B777 flight under the U.S. regulations with 5% international fuel reserve exemption in place. Since the international fuel reserve is a function of percentage over the duration of flight, the longer the flight, the higher the benefit from re-dispatch, reducing the high amount of reserve fuel you have to carry along the entire way. Without it, say for a 15 hr flight on BOM-EWR, It makes fuel over destination too high thus raising the overrall fuel requirement high, putting pressure on payload it can carry.

Last edited:
EWR-HKG released only up to PEK, continegent upon fuel burn progress enroute, carry the enroute burn from EWR-HKG, then the paper destination alternate (assuming the weather is good in HKG) 30 min holding at 1500ft but reserve fuel required for the entire segment is calculated 10% of the flight time from PEK-HKG portion only. If that amount is lower than carrying 5% reserve fuel for the entire 15 hr flight from EWR-HKG, then you have a winner, reducing the overral fuel requirement thus allowing more payload.

This site must be well inundated with requests.

Some interesting pictures taken by a Heathrow resident photographer can be found here:

http://www.heathrowpictures.com/pictures/pictures.html

Error 503 - Service Temporarily Unavailable

This error means that the web server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overload.
Please try to reload the webpage in a few seconds.

Latest resources

Back