• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see you edited your post to make it even nastier.

I see you have an ex ValuJet plane as your avitar. Work for Citrus? Couldn't get on with BA eh? Sorry to hear that.

Yes I do, you're powers of deduction are quite astounding.
I did apply to BA once back in the early nineties, they sent me a very nice letter to inform me that they were only hiring from their own school in Prestwick. It all worked out, I much prefer living in the US and enjoy my position at ValuJet, as you like to call us. I assume that was some sort of veiled insult on your behalf, very original I must say, first time I've heard that one.
I am a little choosy who I enjoy a beer with and I'm afraid you would not fit the bill.
Good afternoon madam.

On just about every page of this thread someone chimes in with "We shouldn`t speculate about this, wait for the official report". I`m here to tell you that we are pilots, and speculation is what we do. I have said it before: this web site is an electronic version of a ready room or pilot lounge. Pilots gather, pilots BS, pilots speculate. Get use to it and get over it. Retired Guy out....

Yes I do, you're powers of deduction are quite astounding.
I did apply to BA once back in the early nineties, they sent me a very nice letter to inform me that they were only hiring from their own school in Prestwick. It all worked out, I much prefer living in the US and enjoy my position at ValuJet, as you like to call us. I assume that was some sort of veiled insult on your behalf, very original I must say, first time I've heard that one.
I am a little choosy who I enjoy a beer with and I'm afraid you would not fit the bill.
Good afternoon madam.

Clearly no big loss on my part. You are most certainly poor company.

On just about every page of this thread someone chimes in with "We shouldn`t speculate about this, wait for the official report". I`m here to tell you that we are pilots, and speculation is what we do. I have said it before: this web site is an electronic version of a ready room or pilot lounge. Pilots gather, pilots BS, pilots speculate. Get use to it and get over it. Retired Guy out....

Nice pic in the avatar. Looks 'analog', and real.

Yea, my bit is since the pilots said (in the AAIB statement) the autothrottles commanded a thrust increase and it didn't happen, and then they applied the thrust levers forward and it didn't happen, presumably while the engines were failing, that the A/C had some sort of autothrottle failure (power loss to them) or electronic fuel system failure of some sort. If the autothrottles failed or lost power would they disconnect automatically or not? If this happened would the engines fail? Would you be able to use the thrust levers manually if the autothrottles failed or lost power? Thanks 777 drivers.

Those BA pilots are still too much. I was working for Lockheed on their L-1011 program when BA bought a bunch of the TriStars. In those days in addition to the sim training, we did 25 hours training in the actual a/c. On my first training flight as part of the instructor crew, we had two BA Captains as our students. I was flying in the FE seat and we had an instructor pilot in the right seat and one of the BA guys in the left seat to start off.

I noticed a nose wheel steering wheel handle on the co-pilot side in addition to the normal one on the left side. I asked the instructor pilot what that was all about. He said BA insisted on Lockheed installing a nose wheel steering handle on the right side and it was cheaper not to remove the left one, so it remains.

Here's what surprised me: the BA student Captain said "Oh, BA Captains don't actually taxi the airplane, that's beneath us, that's what we have co-pilots for"!!

And you were foolish enough to believe that? BTW, all B777 have both left and right tillers installed howver I cannot recall ever seeing anyone doing any serious taxing from the right side.

When an airplane runs out of fuel, both engines do not quit at the same time.

When an airplane runs out of fuel, both engines do not quit at the same time.

That's a very good observation and does throw a different light on the subject. Here is another one. If the crew had the two crossfeeds open to balance fuel thay may have run a wing tank dry and in turn flamed out both engines at once. Boeing does not approve of fuel balancing during this phase of flight and in addition the aircraft is not very susceptible to any out of balance fuel condition. There may be some sort of an EICAS warning for this fuel config during landing but I cannot recall. Nothing more than pure wild ass speculation at this point so I guess we should stand back and let the pros sort it out.

The Brits are reporting that the aircraft had 10 + tonnes of fuel on it when it started the approach, and the elctrical system was operating normally.

Yeah...and it had some 100 tonnes of fuel when it left Beijing.

What matters is how many tonnes of fuel it had when the engines spooled down.

My guess is ZERO tonnes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back