• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lack of fuel Very unlikely. A BA source says the plane landed with more than ten tonnes of fuel, more than normal after a 12-hour flight.

Well, usually when there's a crash and no fire = no gas.

1. They landed it on wet rain soaked grass = not a lot of sparks

2. In a fuel starvation incident, it is astronomically unlikely that BOTH engines would quit at the EXACT same time.

3. Lots of talk about the APU, did it actually start?

1. They landed it on wet rain soaked grass = not a lot of sparks

2. In a fuel starvation incident, it is astronomically unlikely that BOTH engines would quit at the EXACT same time.

3. Lots of talk about the APU, did it actually start?

The right wing was nearly ripped off? No fuel spillage? Hmmmmm.

Really?

From BBC Website:

"A significant amount of fuel leaked from the aircraft but there was no fire"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7197506.stm

Ok... Is the BBC reporter a reliable source on aviation technicalities? How much did they actually say? A large puddle? A hundred gallons?

I would think a 777 under normal conditions would land with at least a few thousand pounds on board. If that much fuel spilled on the grass those tree hugging Brits would be acting like the Exxon Valdez just parked at Heathrow. Yet you see no large containment or cleanup efforts.

If that much fuel spilled on the grass those tree hugging Brits would be acting like the Exxon Valdez just parked at Heathrow. Yet you see no large containment or cleanup efforts.

Maybe they're waiting for that investigation thingy to move along?

Yeah, I personally don't trust any water table that doesn't have MTBE in high concentrations.

Now if you'll scuse me, I think I'll go shoot a bald eagle or two.

You don't know much about systems do you? Are you a pilot? I'm starting to think you are a poser:rolleyes:

Generators stay on line at an N2 setting just bellow ground idle, they will not come off line until the N2's drop bellow this %of N2 wich is much lower than the flight idle setting. If the engines quit, the generators would have being powering the A/T system and the drop of N2 would signal the A/T to add power.(the engines are dead but during this period while the N2's are droping, there is still AC power on the A/C) Once the N2 would drop bellow the ground idle setting (well bellow the flight idle setting.) at that point is when the emergency lights would come on and the APU autostart would kick in.

So now the Gen was deffered Hum?
No I didn't say a GEN was deffered, I gave a possible reason for why the APU door was opened as you pointed out.

The passengers did not mention anything about a dark cabin just before impact. So your battery power theory has a few holes in it.

most sincerely,

Poser

Lack of fuel Very unlikely. A BA source says the plane landed with more than ten tonnes of fuel, more than normal after a 12-hour flight.

10 tonnes =22000lbs = about 1:45 minutes remaining. Go missed, divert to alternate, hang out for 30 mins in holding pattern at 1500ft and 5% (or 10%) reserve. Normal desired and standard B777 fuel over destination with a close alternate like LGW on a VFR day.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back