• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awful landings???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On my IOE, we did the beaumont overnight. I flew the leg from IAH over, beautiful night. Just a little chilly, not even windy. Nice stabilized approach, I start to flare... then SLAM!!!. I'm like what the heck? Then SLAM!!! again from the nosewheel. Gotta love it. As the passengers are deplaning, with the cockpit door open. The captain gets on the PA and announces that "We would like to thank the First Officer for waking all of us up and announcing our arrival in Beaumont. Please be sure to visit your chiropractor at your earliest convenience."

That was a really fun 2 day .. and I mean that sincerely.

Nick

Nick,

How's EWR..? Oh yeah youll have more of those!! I dropped one out of the sky in Richmond when I worked for TSA!! Passenger looks at the flight attendant and says that must have been the kid!!

Cheers,
Stinker/ Shawn

To add to Wsurfs things on the -8, when the flashlights hit the floor (i guess that happens anyway, that velcro is tired), the extra lightbulb pack comes loose, J/S lifevest comes down like a falling O2mask. Also doesnt help the cause when the yaw damper decides to take a nap in the flare going into the older, narrower HXD runway, and a MEL'ed ECU to go along, and its windy. And thats my excuse and im sticking to it. Ill remember that one. boom!

I remember another HXD one. Mine. Slammer. Nighttime, broke out of the low overcast (held all the lights off, we'll remember to get them them when we break out), coming down, coming down, can see the runway lights fine, getting closer, closer, things still look odd, down, down. Man its darker than usual out here. 30, 20, 10, dang, could you get those landing lights on please, yank. Slam. Lights help at night.

STINKER said:
Nick,

How's EWR..? Oh yeah youll have more of those!! I dropped one out of the sky in Richmond when I worked for TSA!! Passenger looks at the flight attendant and says that must have been the kid!!

Cheers,
Stinker/ Shawn

Heya Shawn,

EWR's well.. it's EWR, cold, windy, kind've scary late at night, but it's pretty fun. How're things goin' with you??

Nick

JohnnyP said:
I remember another HXD one. Lights help at night.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! OH, man. So true.

How about ROA at night, with gusts above 30? It was my first (and only) leg with this CA, and he STILL thinks I'm a dork... which is justified and another story. But I look over at him and say, "I'm gonna just fly it on."

He snickered.

Our jumpseater, an infamously cool Spaniard (;)) laughed too.

He shouts out, "HERE IT COOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
prang
prang
prang
disc.

I have never laughed so hard out of that strange melange of shame and genuine amusement in my life. Ref and 10.... blam. AND blam. And again, blam.

Haven't done it since. In Roanoke, anyway.

lastout said:
in his/her defense...

the dash ain't the easiest to land. i've had 20 year captains knock a few fillings loose(and i've certainly had a few that i'm not so proud of).

is it my imagination or do certain dash's @ PDT just not EVER land nicely?

Amen Brother, I'm ex PDT'er from JAX.

As I was reading the original post, I was thinking to myself that one of the worst landings I have ever had was in a DASH. Especially after a long vacation.

It is a Beast (100 series), Now the Dash 8-300's are wonderful! A landing that you think your about to pound on, seems to gentle glide on the runway in a 300 series! Kinda nice when you swap out and get a 300.

LR25 said:
I was thinking to myself that one of the worst landings I have ever had was in a DASH. Especially after a long vacation.
I seem to think of the first couple after a long absence like golfing after a year off. No swing thoughts, just go hit the stupid thing. Usually goes pretty straight until I start thinking that the club should be perpindicular at the top, etc. Then I chunk the buggers about 20 yards. Same in the DHC.

Sig said:
prang
prang
prang
disc.
Great post!

Latest resources

Back