• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awful landings???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know you had a hard landing in a Dash 8 when half the overhead bins come down, and you have a couple of the caution panal lights stuck in you teeth!!

The first time I ever did the Expressway visual into LGA, I banged 'er on pretty good, and bounced around for awhile. In my defense, it *WAS* a gusty crosswind, I was still really new in the 145, and had NO feel for a stabilized visual approach. At the exact time we impacted, the tower controller opened his mike and started to clear somebody for something, and as I was bouncing along trying to keep it right side up and on the runway I could CLEARLY hear somebody in the background in the tower say "Holy Sh1T!! Did you see that?" I wish I could say they've improved. They haven't. ;)

sleddriver77 said:
...and as I was bouncing along trying to keep it right side up and on the runway I could CLEARLY hear somebody in the background in the tower say "Holy Sh1T!! Did you see that?" I wish I could say they've improved. They haven't. ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:beer:

There's definitely a difference between a bad landing and a SCARY landing. Getting within about 5 feet and then slamming it in- uncomfortable, something to laugh about, but not scary. 100 ft flare at idle floating along with no airspeed- that's scary.

"The captain was asked why she closed the throttles prior to touchdown, as the airplane was slow on the approach. She reported that she closed the throttles because it was company procedure to close the throttles at 50 feet."

That's good stuff...........the airplane is well below Vref and no doubt sinking like crazy, and she pulls the throttles to idle because "it's company procedure".

Hello,
I've seen alot of DASH-8s land and have flown on them both in the cabin and jumpseat. It seems like a pretty tough airplane to get a consistently smooth touchdown in. However, I don't grade professional pilots for a living, but if I was to design a grading system it would have the smooth touchdown way down the list. Being on-speed, on-profile touching down in the TDZ and on centerline is much more important.
A popular saying comes to mind when relating landing stories. "Those that have and those that will". I'll attest to that for some pretty crappy landings in the 1900 I've made.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

mrnolmts said:
I'd say as long as you are in one piece, and stay within the runway limits, everything is A-ok. Talking about staying within runway limits: Here's a guy that didn't:

DANG! It looks like the FO was over the centerline... cuhrazee.

acaTerry said:
Here's a classic; a case study example of poor CRM, poor airmanship, and an attempt to "get away with it" afterwards.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20011030X02159&ntsbno=NYC02LA013&akey=1
While it is obvious she messed up, it's also very easy for us to be Monday Morning Quarterbacks here. I'd be surprised if either one of you can honestly say they've never made a mistake in their flying career. How many of you have had firm landings without reporting it? Question is, how hard does it have to be before a report is warranted? I'm not sure I know where the line is, are you? All I know is, I'd report it if I personally felt it was beyond "the norm", but it would still be a subjective assessment. Yours may vary greatly from mine. I am by no means saying she was correct in making the decision to not report it, because obviously she should have. However, could it be as simple as her train of thought being "It was a hard landing allright, but we inspected the aircraft, and found no visible damage, so I guess it's ok"? Flawed as it turned out to be, I can see a few guys making the very same decision.
Obviously, they should have noticed the tailstrike damage on the postflight inspection. However, notice that at least one other crew preflighted and flew the airplane without noticing, so maybe the damage wasn't that obvious? I don't know. Also, there were at least one positive here: She did inform the pilot taking the airplane the following day, who by the way, was a company check airman (!!!), and did not take the time to check the airplane out, nor did the crew who wound up actually flying the airplane out.
I'm just having a hard time dealing with people putting other people down, when they were not there, and were not the ones making the decisions.
:beer:

Last edited:
I was a pretty new F/O in the ERJ coming into IAH on a pretty windy day... IAH always seems to have a wind shift during the last 50 feet.especially 26R.. Any one who flys in and out of there expects it... I didnt..

Caught a wind shift and had to kick in the power... I put too much power in (speed runs away) and then pulled waaaaaay to much power out...

The airplane did a Wylie Coyote fall from about 5 feet... The masks stayed up but the baby changing table in the back feel down. I kind looked at my Capt (great guy) asking "what in the hell did I just do??" And he simply remarked that I pulled the power out a little early... and that was it.

We get to the gate and the FA opens the door with a rousing greeting of "What in the Hell was that, I think I have to pull my underware out of my teeth!" and a few passengers made rude comments as they got off the plane... At this point I was pretty de-moralized when the wise CA looked at me and said.....
"I will never rag on an FO for a bad landing.... The FA and the pax always do a much better job"

Wise words... 100% true...

In reality we all manage to grease on a few and we also have all left dents in the runway... Landing an aircraft is not a science sometimes you get it right and other times you look like a one armed monkey in a Uniform!

We all screw up....No need to play Mr. Superpilot!!! :)

Latest resources

Back