Awful landings???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingFerris said:
What's wrong with trying to greasing it in the TDZ then? Of course the airplane I fly it's hard not to have a good landing, not that I haven't pounded one on now and agian.

Greasing the ERJ in the touchdown is nearly impossible without floating. A moderate crosswind actually makes for the best greasers in the TDZ - at least when I'm flying.

It's okay to try for a greaser, but if you float for 1 to 2 seconds, just plant it.:D

Mother nature will eventually humble even the best of pilots. Ask the SWA crew that went through the wall at MWD. She's a bitch and she will try to kill you!

Well, I've had my share of good ones and bad ones, including the good ones that were "bad" because they were past the touchdown zone. (Yes, I got the same lecture in the right seat -- "whatever you do, don't put it down past the touchdown zone on your type ride!!") But there are three landings in particular that stand out in my mind as particularly firm.

I know a check airman who was very dejected one day because he pounded on the 700 so hard. He was so disappointed with himself that he called his wife and said "I landed, THEN I flared!"

One of my boys was waiting to take-off out of DCA (Windy Day) when this guy that sounded like the United Captain kept asking for wind checks. My Buddy was like, 'What a nub to be asking for so many wind checks'. Then this United 727 bounces off the runway so high that by the time it starts to settle down on the runway there is a chance that they might run out of pavement. At just the point of it coming down a big ball of black fire comes out the engines and plane wollows into the air, just as the gear is coming up on the go around, the tower asked, "wow, united guess you are going around". Then my bud said a teenage girl sounding voice says, "Yes, United going around". Dope!!

Last edited:
Back in the day when Comair Academy was running their "Hired" ads in the magazines....

We were holding short of RWY 4 at LGA, single runway ops, on a lousy weather day with high winds a Comair CRJ porpoised on landing. While these guys were busy at settling down their errant ride somone spoke up on frequency with the comment "Hired".

Time2Spare said:
All that changed when I flew with a 50+ yr old grandmother who happened to be a check airman at our company. I pulled off one of my amazing greasers and on the taxi in she said to me in her distinct southern drawl "that was the worst landing I've seen in a long time" What!?

She was kind enough to pull me aside and educate me that landing 2000 ft past the touchdown zone was unprofessional and unsafe despite what the passengers may have said. She said the mark of a true pro is to put the airplane into the touchdown zone every time regardless of how smooth or hard the landing felt. A little old granny with a two-pack a day Marlboro habit had reduced superpilot back to a subconscious student who could barely muster a sentence. And she was 100% right.

Excellent post. I have heard of the Check Airman that you speak of, and I agree with her 100%. I certainly don't claim to be the next Chuck Yeager, but I try to put more emphasis on flying a good, stable approach followed by a landing within the touchdown zone at the proper speed. I don't understand why some folks put twice as much effort into greasing their landings as they do flying a proper approach. A firm touchdown may get you a few smirks from the passengers as they deplane...but flying a bad approach may get you on the front page of the next day's paper.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back