• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa/usairs Arbitration In !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look at whats happening in this country! The middle class is eroding, and it seems like its gonna be a two class society in this country!
I hate to break it to you, but it's already a two-class society, but the easy access to credit masks that fact. In the good old days the poor knew they were poor. Now the poor think the Suburban they really can't afford parked in the driveway of the home they really can't afford makes them middle class, while they buy groceries with a 4th credit card.

Absolutely remarkable. I admit that I expected the post 1999 hires to be stapled. (Although I could have argued that those hired by AWA after the merger announcement should have been placed below the furloughees -- they knew what they were getting into.)

But I am mystified as to why those hired in 1987 and beyond were not given SOMETHING for their years of service and the sacrifice they have made for this company. Some of the AWA pilots were 9 years old when their junior counterparts at US Airways was hired!

I would expect mass resignations from ALPA and, very possibly, a retreat from negotiations by East. Why bother with a combined contract now? Keep them separate as long as possible to enjoy the benefits of what little seniority they have.

As far as the post-1999 furloughees, I would imagine that the company will go through the remainder of the list with lightning speed now. Why would anyone return? I would expect the company to be hiring off the street by autumn.

Astounding. I have absolutely no respect for ALPA anymore and I can promise they will never get another dime from me.

(I'm not placing any blame on the AWA pilots who simply fought for the best possible deal and were awarded a windfall.)

If it is true that the East pilots presented doh to the arbitrator, then they need to get better lawyers. The Shuttle America pilots presented the same thing in the Chautauqua merger. It was a much smaller scale, but still shows that doh to arbitrator accomplishes nothing. History repeats itself again only on a much larger scale.

No its not true, the basis of it was DOH but with all kinds of adjustments for years of service and fences.

From the AWA MEC Chairman:

Fellow AWA Pilots:
As most of you are aware, the MEC received the merged seniority list late last night under a directive by Chairman Nicolau to release the list at a specific time. That list and the decision is on the secure AWA MEC website and available for download.
The MEC is working with the Merger Committee and outside counsel and advisors to determine what the impact of all the conditions and restrictions will be and what effect and impact each of these conditions and restrictions will have on our 1865 pilots.
Clearly, I have concerns about this list. While on the surface it may appear to many that we prevailed in our ideas about the construction of the list, I will say that placing 517 AAA pilots on top of our Captain list is problematic. Add to this picture a potential change to Age 60 in the very near future (more on that in a bit), a potential third merger and/or industry downturn, and I start to worry.
I hate to be the wet blanket, but from prior experience, I know that this is just the start of a very long process to interpret and enforce the hearing board’s decision, and the pilots of America West pay me to look at and analyze that big picture. We will continue to analyze, interpret, defend and communicate to you as we learn more. Please remember that this merged list cannot be utilized by management until a joint contract is in place.

Yea he has concerns about 517 senior AAA pilots, most of whom will probably be retired before the list is ever integrated. A potential 3rd merger? WTF? Is he worried about a comet taking out Tempe and possible shortening an 05 hires carreer too? And finally he is worried about an industry downturn, well he should'nt, his 05 hire now has 1700 guys below him (all senior) to protect him.

Yes for those who want to work here, get the applications and resumes ready US will be hiring off the street very soon in large numbers.

Would the STFD crowd kindly tell me what that is going to accomplish? I'm sorry you feel you got screwed but what exactly did the company have to do with the integration methodology that was used by the arbitrator and pilot neutrals? And what's with all the personal attacks flying around like we're members of some rival gang in the hood? Talk about misplaced anger. If vengeance is your thing and you somehow think that it Will bring about a justice to your perceived wrong doing, I ask you to just take a step back, think with a clear head, and find a more constructive avenue. We're all going to have to co-exist around here for a long time to come and it's up to us as to how we want our work environment to be in the future. For the record, on a percentage basis, I went back wards in seniority with this award but I'm not going to hold it against any of the east guys personally or the company. It is what it is and I'll move on.:beer:

This kind of misplaced anger only helps to drag the company down and make the competition stronger.

But in retrospect...one should observe the differences in career progression between a company that grows from within and one that grows through mergers.

Growth plan, cost control, corporate culture, consistent profitability...If you have that, you won't need mergers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back