• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA to hire 80+ more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why not give a US Air guy relative seniority for the time they had active. If you were hired 12 years ago but have only 4 years active time, why can't they go in as a 4 years of seniority credit? What do you guys think of that?

TWA Dude said:
I'm with you. As of the closing of the merger which is anticipated by early October all AWA newhires should be USair furloughees. I wish our poolies only the best and I sympathize with their position but this is the way it has to be.

I did disagree with you (and Cactus73).

It would be very unprofessional to interview a pilot, offer him a job, put him into a pool for class and then put a thousand or so other pilots ahead of him. But after thinking about it, it would be more unprofessional to actually bring them on the property before any of the furloughed USA guys looking for a job with us. I hope that the poolies are all working for us in the future (I have a couple of friends in the pool), but any furloughed US guy who is looking for a job with us should get priority.

I’m afraid the poolies at AWA are on the short end of the stick. Maybe the professional thing to do is to give their positions to the US furloughees. SWA hopefuls should also give their positions to the ATA furloughed. Maybe this will become the standard; that with any collaboration between two entities, they must first hire the troubled company’s furloughed employees. What a mess

Last edited:
DustyBottoms said:
It would be very unprofessional to interview a pilot, offer him a job, put him into a pool for class and then put a thousand or so other pilots ahead of him.
I realize we are in agreement but I'll just point out that "professionalism" has nothing to do with it since it's the unions which control seniority.

DustyBottoms said:
I did disagree with you (and Cactus73).

It would be very unprofessional to interview a pilot, offer him a job, put him into a pool for class and then put a thousand or so other pilots ahead of him.

What is the difference between "offering him a job", and being hired?

aroundtheblock said:
Why not give a US Air guy relative seniority for the time they had active. If you were hired 12 years ago but have only 4 years active time, why can't they go in as a 4 years of seniority credit? What do you guys think of that?

Furloughed is Furloughed. They come back to the bottom if AAA would servive on its own. They come back to the bottom of the combined list.

Look, I'm all for giving the AAA furloughs first crack at any new jobs at the bottom of the newly combined seniorty list. I see nothing wrong with that.

But the harsh truth is that the AAA furloughs are not even a consideration in the merging of the two lists. Only the active pilots will be merged together. That's just the way it is.

We can't really say that we will "recall" them because they will not have recall rights at the new airline. It will be more acurate to say that we will give them first shot at any new jobs.

I can't say whether or not this is the "right" thing to do, but it is generous and I think that most AWA and AAA pilots would like to give the AAA furloughs the first shot.

Luke said:
What is the difference between "offering him a job", and being hired?
In the airline business the difference is everything. Until you actually start class you're not on the payroll and hence not "hired". Being in a pool is a non-binding intent to hire. It's just the way it is. Heck, technically I'm still in the pool to be hired by ACA. Nobody told me otherwise but I'm not holding my breath.

Flyn-n-HI....

uhmmm..what are you smokin these days??? Are you AWA pilot or just trying to stir the pot some more???? (which pot I'm not sure, maybe put a crack into a few things)

Anyways.....the arbitrator will determine what is right and what is fair...pretty much guarnteed. Besides....what your spouting is fairly worse than what was discussed with one of the AWA Alpa guys (just a committee guy, not really anything to do with the merger, that I know of) BTW...watch out for flash burns ....hehehe

Latest resources

Back