• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA to hire 80+ more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're a US furloughee and you come over to AWA before the PID and integration of the lists, your subsequent seniority once the lists are merged will be based on your AWA number, not your number on the US list. You may technically still have a number over there but it won't mean jack. Can't have it both ways.

HAL said:
Captain Overs,

And since you said it:

Dude do you even have any clue about the airline history? Oh, wait. You're probably a "low time wonder" hired by AWA with little or no PIC time. So you wouldn't be old enough to be a student of airline mergers and history.

I will say that there are no 'low time wonders' hired here. Every single pilot I've met has been knowledgable, experienced, and well versed in how airlines operate these days - and in the past. The captains I've flown with in the last year have also said the same thing - that this latest group of people hired at AWA is among the best they've ever seen there.

So again, unless you have flown with these people, degrading them without knowing them personally only shows you own lack of judgement and class.

HAL

Well, I know of a few hired at AWA with NO PIC time. Many Eagle F/O's, a few corporate dudes, some Mesa 1900 F/O's, and even a guy from Air whisky who can best be described as a MARGINAL aviator. I know every airline has them, but to say AWA has none is not correct.

Last edited:
HAL and Jet, thanks for taking the high road. Assuming that DP is right and that the company will be viable in the long term, this should work out just fine for us.

Oh wait, Captain O says we should be careful because cutbacks are imminent...and if you're in the pool and you're lucky enough to be called to class, don't be stupid. Stay at Mesa...they offer a modicum of career stability that is worth holding on to. Seriously, the CASM's just don't align and fuel is $$...this merger is going nowhere. Please!

Like HAL said, in a couple years the junior AWA guys will be happy at a growing carrier or you will be able to gloat. The way I see it, either way, you're pretty much a prick.

PositiveRate said:
HAL and Jet, thanks for taking the high road. Assuming that DP is right and that the company will be viable in the long term, this should work out just fine for us.

Oh wait, Captain O says we should be careful because cutbacks are imminent...and if you're in the pool and you're lucky enough to be called to class, don't be stupid. Stay at Mesa...they offer a modicum of career stability that is worth holding on to. Seriously, the CASM's just don't align and fuel is $$...this merger is going nowhere. Please!

Like HAL said, in a couple years the junior AWA guys will be happy at a growing carrier or you will be able to gloat. The way I see it, either way, you're pretty much a prick.

We'll see. I just don't want to hear you crying on this site if things hit the fan. Then again you will be a PPuussyy because you take this site way too seriously.

I would take the job if offered, beats dragging the ditch in the twatter, not that it is a bad job just that there must be something better and I know the ditch will always be waiting

Hiring at AWA -- YES!

Back to original topic on hiring: Joevollers is correct. The word I (personally) got from an ACP was that we will hire for October and November training (that is from 2 weeks ago). We are short bodies at Vegas for sure and I know the PHX guys want to get some movement. There are some long-time reserve sitters there now. Cactus73 – we can’t wait for furloughed USAir guys before we hire from the street. New blood is needed today in Vegas. Anyone work the hurricane on Sunday night? The poster that said we ran out of reserves is correct. I know two Captains that got Involuntary Pay because they were re-routed out of the 11 PM goes into the 10 PM goes as scheduling “shelled- gamed” bodies to cover the schedule due to inadequate staffing. Don’t think AWA can hold off until a merged list is agreed on. That is costing us money today due to inadequate numbers. Fly/n/High, your right! The drop/pick up system doesn’t work when you are flying 83-88 hours a month, nobody can pick up what you want to drop because there is no beans left in the bucket. I’ve had several posts of complete giveaways and nobody stepped forward – in my mind, folks working to hard to pick it up (even two day trips!). So I think you will see us (at a minimum) bring on some of the poolies in October. I think you are joining a great team and one that is going to get better with the USAir deal. Be realistic and try to take a balanced approach – a few ney sayers in the crowd but I think you find most AWA guys looking forward to working with the USAir guys. I am. Nobody can promise no furloughs, but I think most of us feel it is highly unlikely.

On the merged pilot list: up to 100 days of negotiation once we get an approved PID and then to arbitration if no agreement by the 100 days (could take another 50 days in arbitration) and the ALPA president (and merged parties) can agree to extend the deadline …. Could be well into next year before any combined list is even presented. Training Department is already accelerating recurrent for guys because they have too much training capacity with the lack of new hires. That’s not efficient and costly to maintain a big training department with no new pilots coming on property.

On the merger issue. My personal feeling is there will not be any AWA furloughs. I have high confidence in Doug Parker – the vast majority of other AWA pilots I meet say the same thing, not everyone, but most I think. Not everyone at AWA agrees that every USAir furloughee should be brought on/interviewed before new hires. The US Air MEC made the LOA with their US Air Management and we will have to wait to see what our MEC proposes with respect to them and what is finally adopted between the two MECs. Some at AWA feel all pilots looking for work should have the same opportunity: Mesa, Horizon, etc, should not have to wait behind 1000+ US Air furloughees. If you are furloughed from US Air don’t wait for the “system” to protect you. Apply and try to network to get aboard here now. In any case, whatever is proposed by our MEC is what AWA pilots will line up behind.

On the leaves of absence offered, the numbers were very small. If I remember correctly, 1 FO and 1 Capt at LAS in August, so they really don’t impact the shortfall that exists today at LAS. 1/75 is small potatoes.

HAL, JM, and PR – thanks for holding the high road with your posts. Our goal is to pass along factual information, offer our opinion, educate others about AWA from our perspective, and help new guys get aboard without flaming dudes in cyberspace we don’t know.

Luke – you’ve got great wisdom for all of us. In this industry it is really tough to tell where the grass is the greenest. Riding the storm out with your current employer or jumping ship is never an easy task. Good luck to all. TWA dude -- you rock as always, make sure your voice is heard as we integrate the lists – you’ve got to much experience to stand on the sideline.

joevollers said:
Either you are flame baitin' or Don't really know what you are talking about---
Crap wages eh?--

Refresh my memory how you NJA guys are doing?

Flame baiting... no. I mean what I said.

As for your question. NJA pilots make not only crap wage, we make BULL$HIT wages.

A year ago that was true. To the best of my knowledge, that no longer applies.
HAL said:
Yes, I was referring to currently furloughed USAirways pilots. No airline requires you to resign your seniority if you find work while on furlough.

"Attention all furloughees. We don't have a job for you, we won't be paying you anything, but you are not allowed to find other work in the career you trained for. Go on welfare and wait for our call. That is all." I don't think so.

There was a USAirways furloughee in my new-hire class at AWA a year ago. He is still on the USA seniority list, as are all the other USA furloughees I've met here.

HAL

Hi all,

Well I'll chime in as one of the poolies.

I've heard many answers for how many of us there are. (ranging from 45-80)

Many of my friends who have gone through recurrent/transition training recently have been hearing the same thing...new hire classes around sept/oct with the pool empty by the end of the year.

Will I go if/when the call comes? I'm leaning faily strongly towards yes.

Obviosly the big concern is how the US Air furloughee's get treated. I sure would like to have it resolved before I have to decide, but I live in vegas....I'll roll the dice if I have to.

I have called my friends on the street from US Air to get their opinion. They are hearing from the union an unrelenting "Your job is secure", but hold little hope.

Latest resources

Back