• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My buddy at USAirs told me the current talk is of no DOH integration to appease the AWA pilots and to appease the USAir pilots, the current PHX based AWA pilots will have to relocate to PHL and the PHX flying will be done by current USAir PHL pilots. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. What do you think?

How exactly would you expect me to react to a statement such as " we're the most beligerent, obnoxious group of pilots you've ever seen?"
PHXFLYR said:
Just look at the post by Crzipilot right after yours posted above ... I rest my case.

Re: "Bite Me" I thought you original Piedmont guys had more class than that

PHXFLYR:cool:

Just received a DOH lecture jumpseating to work on you guys yesterday....should have known better. Sad part is it was the 3rd time I've heard that sentiment from you guys in the last 5 days and to be quite honest with you, I'm getting pretty fed up with it. Like I said in an earlier post.... I rest my case. Good night.

Last edited:
Cactus73 said:
Where did I ever say I expected to fly the A330/A350? Currently AWA doesn't have the A330. I have no/zero career expectation of every flying this airplane. The A350 will be a new type to both airlines, so yes I guess I can have a small expectation if I'm around long enough. .

The A350 is simply an outgrowth of the A330. Same type rating, just spruced up to compete with the B787. Enjoy it! It should be a nice ride. Training on it will most likely be in CLT, as that's where the sim is. (the sim is convertible, even to the A340, as our options included A340's as well.....little known fact.) Believe it or not, great Mexican food very close to the hotel.

Cactus73 said:
By most accounts, including the road show given to you guys before the merger was announced, it was find a partner or liquidate. I believe ALPA and the Unions did their own economic analysis and knew too that the writing was on the wall.

News Flash: This holds true for almost all airlines today save for the true "discounters." Your airline is no different, buddy. It's the much talked about "Industry Consolidation," and America West would have been freekin' toast had consolidation left it out in the cold. You are so arrogant (naive, really) to think differently.

Cactus73 said:
I don't have any crazy career expectations. In fact, I'll be happy to keep my job. But I don't think that I should go to the street for some guy that has given six years flying a CRJ for a wholly owned. We have guys here that put in 10 years at US Air wholly owned regionals. Should they get a jump in seniority to honor their time?

First off, I was mainline, and most of my time at US Airways was in the Airbus. The CRJ thing is through Jets-4-Jobs, a little thing set up by those AAA Union guys that you and your buddies have been trashing.

Next, and most importantly, I don't think you or anyone else should "go to the street." I've never said that, and never will. Perhaps you've not worked for a carrier with huge retirements in the forecast, so I'll fill you in: it does affect career expectations, and it is a real force that moves people up the list in a big hurry. That's one thing that "my" group is bringing to the table, and is the reason why no one should have to see the street.

Cactus73 said:
The line has to be drawn in the sand at some point. I don't want to fly your precious A330 and I don't want you bumping me out of PHX.

Oh, OK.....fine. Sheeze, what are we arguing about then? I thought you said I was never going to be recalled, that my expectations were......how did you say........ZERO. Now you say my career is still on track, minus about eight years of messing around? OK, good......we agree then. Hell, I've lived in PHX.....you can have it!

Cactus73 said:
It's funny, the only sounds of anger are coming from the USAir furloughed guys.

Really? I think Whiskey Driver sounds pretty angry. PHXFLYR is getting a little bent out of shape. WD ain't even coherent.....he's talkin' major trash and swinging at the fences. Ever since this thing was announced the first thing out of anyone's mouth is "well those go*&^%med US Air fourloughees anin't getting anything! Period!" That's what every AWA guy on here has spewed, more or less (Exception: TWA Dude, because he's got some seasoning and some maturity.)

Cactus73 said:
Most of the current flying guys on here seem great and they seem all for letting ALPA merger policy run its course. They also seem like stand-up guys that will be great to fly with once the dust settles.

Yeah, well, you'll have to trust on this one, but the US Air guys are great to fly with too. Oh, I know, I know.....someone rode in a van once and so and so said......But really, US Air was a great place to work. It will be again.

Cactus73 said:
As I said before, I think it sucks you were furloughed. But you were furloughed for reasons that had nothing do to with AWA. I'm not willing to give up my job to bring you back - nothing personal.

And, as I've said before, I wouldn't think of asking you to. What none of you guys seem to want to admit is that there's a potential windfall for you. You keep saying things like "you were never going to be recalled" and "your career expectations were zero" and it certainly seems like your trying to take something that never belonged to you. Listen close: US Air's demise has been the favorite USA Today story for as long as anyone can remember. They've been crying wolf since before Wolf worked here, and have been doing it ever since. But year after year, we keep paying the employees and hauling the pax. We haven't lost as much since 9/11 as Delta lost last year! And I say this not to flame or incite, but to tell you that US Air brings a lot more than debt and unwanted employees to the table. You and Whiskey D and PHXFLYR ought to give your CEO a little more credit than that.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you heard it from "you guys". You didn't hear it from me and won't. Generalizations are dangerous in all walks. Try not to lump all of us together. This will continue to be an emotional issue and there are going to be people on both sides that are going to say and attack AWA and U as a group. Do you really want to be one of "those guys?" Frankly, most of the "guys" I fly with really don't care one way or the other if this thing happens or not.
PHXFLYR said:
Just received a DOH lecture jumpseating to work on you guys yesterday....should have known better. Sad part is it was the 3rd time I've heard that sentiment from you guys in the last 5 days and to be quite honest with you, I'm getting pretty fed up with it. Like I said in an earlier post.... I rest my case. Good night.

Excellent and accurate post.
BeCareful! said:
The A350 is simply an outgrowth of the A330. Same type rating, just spruced up to compete with the B787. Enjoy it! It should be a nice ride. Training on it will most likely be in CLT, as that's where the sim is. (the sim is convertible, even to the A340, as our options included A340's as well.....little known fact.) Believe it or not, great Mexican food very close to the hotel.

News Flash: This holds true for almost all airlines today save for the true "discounters." Your airline is no different, buddy. It's the much talked about "Industry Consolidation," and America West would have been freekin' toast had consolidation left it out in the cold. You are so arrogant (naive, really) to think differently.

First off, I was mainline, and most of my time at US Airways was in the Airbus. The CRJ thing is through Jets-4-Jobs, a little thing set up by those AAA Union guys that you and your buddies have been trashing.

Next, and most importantly, I don't think you or anyone else should "go to the street." I've never said that, and never will. Perhaps you've not worked for a carrier with huge retirements in the forecast, so I'll fill you in: it does affect career expectations, and it is a real force that moves people up the list in a big hurry. That's one thing that "my" group is bringing to the table, and is the reason why no one should have to see the street.

Oh, OK.....fine. Sheeze, what are we arguing about then? I thought you said I was never going to be recalled, that my expectations were......how did you say........ZERO. Now you say my career is still on track, minus about eight years of messing around? OK, good......we agree then. Hell, I've lived in PHX.....you can have it!

Really? I think Whiskey Driver sounds pretty angry. PHXFLYR is getting a little bent out of shape. WD ain't even coherent.....he's talkin' major trash and swinging at the fences. Ever since this thing was announced the first thing out of anyone's mouth is "well those go*&^%med US Air fourloughees anin't getting anything! Period!" That's what every AWA guy on here has spewed, more or less (Exception: TWA Dude, because he's got some seasoning and some maturity.)

Yeah, well, you'll have to trust on this one, but the US Air guys are great to fly with too. Oh, I know, I know.....someone rode in a van once and so and so said......But really, US Air was a great place to work. It will be again.

And, as I've said before, I wouldn't think of asking you to. What none of you guys seem to want to admit is that there's a potential windfall for you. You keep saying things like "you were never going to be recalled" and "your career expectations were zero" and it certainly seems like your trying to take something that never belonged to you. Listen close: US Air's demise has been the favorite USA Today story for as long as anyone can remember. They've been crying wolf since before Wolf worked here, and have been doing it ever since. But year after year, we keep paying the employees and hauling the pax. We haven't lost as much since 9/11 as Delta lost last year! And I say this not to flame or incite, but to tell you that US Air brings a lot more than debt and unwanted employees to the table. You and Whiskey D and PHXFLYR ought to give your CEO a little more credit than that.

321 busdriver said:
Just to clarify, you heard it from "you guys". You didn't hear it from me and won't. Generalizations are dangerous in all walks. Try not to lump all of us together. This will continue to be an emotional issue and there are going to be people on both sides that are going to say and attack AWA and U as a group. Do you really want to be one of "those guys?" Frankly, most of the "guys" I fly with really don't care one way or the other if this thing happens or not.

I'm trying not to , I really am ... But to be quite honest with you, between what I've experienced the last week or so and what I've read on this web board and others, it is getting more and more difficult. I appreciate the way you feel about some of these issues. I really do. But I'm beginning to wonder if you are in the minority. As for me, I hope this thing never sees the light of day and that we both can go our seperate ways. Best wishes.

Thank you. I just called a friend of mine to ask him what he's hearing on line and in the cockpit. He said no one is even hardly talking about it. Mostly a non issue. Anyway, the point is, it's a hot topic with an obvious amount of emotion tied to it. I sincerely hope that not one AWA guy is adveresly affected. It would be easy to fall into a NWA/ Republic type of merger, but I personally think that no one wins in a case like that. Good luck to you as well and I officially retract my " bite me" statement.
PHXFLYR said:
I'm trying not to , I really am ... But to be quite honest with you, between what I've experienced the last week or so and what I've read on this web board and others, it is getting more and more difficult. I appreciate the way you feel about some of these issues. I really do. But I'm beginning to wonder if you are in the minority. As for me, I hope this thing never sees the light of day and that we both can go our seperate ways. Best wishes.

Re:.... " ...I officially retract my 'Bite Me' statement."

See ??:) I knew you Piedmont guys were a class act!

Retains some sembelance of seniority and doesn't put any AWA people on the street.[/QUOTE]

Not sure which post of mine you were referring to, but no where have I said an AWA pilot should be put on the street. Anything I've heard from AWA guys have been....the furloughees have been cast off..and should have no right. So that way us AWA 6 month hires will gain the advantage of having 1900 age 60 retirees in front of us...and 1540 furloughees behind us. Let me see...that equals about 3500 numbers. Nope, no windfall there at all. I being a lowly line pilot have not a clue what would be the best avenue, though I did throw one thought out there, either way, there has to be a way (either fences, slotting / delayed recall, or something) which screws both sides equally.

As for the comment someone made that US was toast and it was mentioned in the roadshows, well actually, I think the roadshows said IF LOA 93/91 whichever wasn't passed it would put a hurt on US. After all the contract negotiations were done, There were 3 avenues to take. Look for a partner, go at it alone, or liquidation. That was the quote. So yes there was still a possibility of going at it alone. Was that the preferred route, don't know, Was consolidation the preferred route, I dont know. You see our current CEO is here as a favor to Bronner to watch over the place. As quoted he'd rather be playing golf than CEO. BUT he is/was a big time money/wallstreet guy, and most likely is the catalyst as to where all this money is coming in from for the MERGER. No AWA isn't putting up the money, neither is US. Third parties.

To the comment that our contracts are worthless, well that's wrong too. The comment that they can just be thrown out in BK court, well that's wrong too. Go read up on BK proceedings. there's a thing called 1113 which dictates how that is done, and well we've already gone there and done that. Our current agreements state the contracts agreed upon are the ones which will stand in BK and the company won't come after any more peanut butter jars, unless the company is in immenient danger of liquidation. Which appears to not be the case.

The Airbus 350 as a new type??? Well the Q/A portions have stated that is actually a replacement for the 330, IIRC the remainder of the 330 options will prob. be excercised (forget how many there are) and then when the 350 is available they will replace the 330's that are on the property. In fact had a SR 330 checkairman on the j/s and he said it would be a short transition course to the 350, such as going from the the 320 to the 330, something like that. Anyways, it wouldn't be a new fleet type from what I can see.

Then of course to your 10 yrs of seniority at a WO. That brings up another basket case, as you see there is now a CEL list. This allows the WO's that have agreed to the J4J program to flow up to MDA then ML, or just sit tight and flow up to ML when there is an opening. All of this is sewn into all the LOA US is so fond of creating. The other interesting point is that the LOA's at the WO's state that their LOA becomes null and void (for flying the jets) as soon as the J4J program becomes null and void. Sooooooo now you have a flow through which has to remain in place for the J4J program to remain in place. If you keep the furloughee guys out on the street, which would mean prob. keepng the J4J guys employed at the WO's, where do the WO's guys go in the integration??? Since their career expectations are also based on all those retirements that are forthcoming. (now would be a great time to visit a national seniority list or something along those lines. Put the AWA/US/WO's list together and figure it out from there) Either way it's gonna go be a monkey f****** a football to work this out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back