Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
College?

Scrapdog said:
Get your college degree...that's the best way you can better your life, aviation or not. Plus, most of the majors now require it, and the rest highly prefer it.

Just do not let anyone talk you into going to the USAFA. Most say, "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but I'm glad I went there." After your de-programing (2-3 years) things will look normal again.

Cheers!

Who cares about being well-rounded. Get yourself an education and a skill that will earn you a very good income and provide you with good job prospects. i.e., don't waste money on something like philosopy in the hopes of finding good employment.

I know plenty of people who attended a trade/technical school and are doing much better than people with PhD's. And I also know plenty of people who spent years in college and all they have to show for it is a lifetime of student loans.

Being well-rounded is not bad, but it doesen't necessarily pay the cashier in the grocery line either.

dime line said:
...and you can still call yourself a pilot. BS!!!

And you work where, and what do you call yourself?

I don't give out personal details on a public message board, especially this one. With that said, many will default to the 'ol "oh, he must be a teenager playing flightsim in his parent's basement."

I call myself a pilot. It is my job description, not who I am. I earn good money and it is just a job.

We wouldn't have to worry about being well rounded if the only tasks we accomplished in a given day were screwing bolts on an assembly line, or pushing buttons, but fortunately there's a bit more to life than that. Folks who aren't well rounded never really realize it because that part of the world that a well rounded person sees is mostly closed to them. A person who hasn't read ancient philosophy says it's useless because they've never known how it might help them to understand the world around them. It's just like the folks who thought Columbus and the like were fools for trying to discover uncharted territories. Their understanding of the world was limited to what they could see as they stared out over the ocean, so it makes perfect sense why they would feel this way. Only those who have gone beyond this point really understood.

Everyone chooses their own path. My father is a truck driver with no college education, but is one of the most honorable men I know - college is by no means the only path to becoming well rounded, but it does help. But to deny yourself the opportunity simply because you feel you wouldn't benefit from it would be a shame.

Funny - I taught H/S world history for a year, and naturally the kids had no interest in learning about foreign cultures. Finally, on our lesson about India, I broke it to them. I told them that as much as they were certain that they'd all be professional athletes or doctors, the odds were much more likely that they'd be sitting across from someone from a culture such as this in twenty years - trying to get a job! An education is never wasted, no matter what the subject material is.

Murdoughnut said:
We wouldn't have to worry about being well rounded if the only tasks we accomplished in a given day were screwing bolts on an assembly line, or pushing buttons, but fortunately there's a bit more to life than that. Folks who aren't well rounded never really realize it because that part of the world that a well rounded person sees is mostly closed to them. A person who hasn't read ancient philosophy says it's useless because they've never known how it might help them to understand the world around them. It's just like the folks who thought Columbus and the like were fools for trying to discover uncharted territories. Their understanding of the world was limited to what they could see as they stared out over the ocean, so it makes perfect sense why they would feel this way. Only those who have gone beyond this point really understood.

Everyone chooses their own path. My father is a truck driver with no college education, but is one of the most honorable men I know - college is by no means the only path to becoming well rounded, but it does help. But to deny yourself the opportunity simply because you feel you wouldn't benefit from it would be a shame.

Funny - I taught H/S world history for a year, and naturally the kids had no interest in learning about foreign cultures. Finally, on our lesson about India, I broke it to them. I told them that as much as they were certain that they'd all be professional athletes or doctors, the odds were much more likely that they'd be sitting across from someone from a culture such as this in twenty years - trying to get a job! An education is never wasted, no matter what the subject material is.

I agree with your post. Just to clarify my earlier post so there isn't any confusion.

Is college good? yes, I won't deny the overall experience is good. However, if one is going to go to college they should make their primary goal one of learning a skill that will be economically valuable to them. The well-rounded part will come to them as part of the experience. What I do not recommend is that one go to college strictly to get well-rounded. I am a firm believer that there are many ways to become well-rounded in life, and college is only one of the ways to do it.

I love history, geography and learning about other cultures. I have learned a lot about all of them in my spare time by travelling, reading books, and from the television (History Channel).

VABB said:
I agree with your post. Just to clarify my earlier post so there isn't any confusion.

Is college good? yes, I won't deny the overall experience is good. However, if one is going to go to college they should make their primary goal one of learning a skill that will be economically valuable to them. The well-rounded part will come to them as part of the experience. What I do not recommend is that one go to college strictly to get well-rounded. I am a firm believer that there are many ways to become well-rounded in life, and college is only one of the ways to do it.

I love history, geography and learning about other cultures. I have learned a lot about all of them in my spare time by travelling, reading books, and from the television (History Channel).

Perfect post!! Your my hero

Do I see a break in the only College can make you a real person? Do I hear you can be successful without a college degree? To succeed in a career you need advanced training and experience; college is only one of many ways to acquire those skills.

pilotyip said:
Do I see a break in the only College can make you a real person? Do I hear you can be successful without a college degree? To succeed in a career you need advanced training and experience; college is only one of many ways to acquire those skills.

Here's the thing - college degrees are being passed out like candy these days. Because of weak accredidation standards, and ultral liberal efforts to diversify higher education (this coming from a moderate liberal himself), the bar has been severely lowered, thus allowing just about anyone who can write their name the opportunity to earn a college degree. As such, many folks who should be receiving trade oriented training have college degrees. As a result, the likelihood that a college degree will be required for a technical position has increased over time - even if vocational training would better serve the position.

I spent four years working in higher education before I left for the private sector. The inherent value of a college degree has decreased steadily over time, yet the need for one is increasing. It's a world gone crazy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back