• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

avoid airline career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This thread is stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid.

BTW $30K for PVT, Commercial, Multi, Inst, CFI, CFII, and MEI. I still think I paid too much.

I made 28K 1st
35K 2nd
40K 3rd
I am getting sick of it and I may get out but I never complain. Well somtimes but its my own stupidity since many warned me.

wheelsup said:
We all know the pay sucks, which is why less and less people are getting into the regionals, and more and more of these zero time programs are coming out.

Not complaining here since most of you know my story here on the message board. Just putting out a friendly public advisory and reminder to warn anyone you know who wants to go the 0 time to glory route to avoid CAPT/FTSI. I got enough debt and zero placements to support that warning. Have a great day!

greg52083 said:
I kinnda feel bad for anyone who skipped college, you missed a great chance to grow as a person.

I kinnda feel bad for anyone who shares this mentality. Once again, another retard comes out no smarter than when he went in.

pilotyip said:
Too many negative vibes, this still a great career where else can a high school grad have shot at making $100K by his early 30's. Besides if you are doing something you like and being paid well for it, tons of people never experience that. Still living the dream, 60 years later.

Get your college degree...that's the best way you can better your life, aviation or not. Plus, most of the majors now require it, and the rest highly prefer it.

College Degree not the only answer

There are many ways to grow as a person, college is not the only way. Let me give you the background on the college degree thing. I do not judge a man by his degree, where he lives, or what he does for a living. I judge a man on the content of his character. I find the college degrees only crowd here, a bit arrogant, a smacking of if you do not have a degree you are not as good as me. I know too many people who are successful and fine men who do not have a degrees, I know many people with degrees who will never make any impact upon anything. I know too many pilots without degrees who I consider some of the most successful people I know I admire them and the lives they have built. So I bait, about the non-importance of the college degree in this business. I think this sets off the college degree only crowd because it distorts their view of what they have done. Secondarily my pilot heroes did not have college degrees and they performed feats that would test the metal of anyone. They flew in WWII, George Bush I in the Pacific, the 10,000’s of B-17 and B-24 pilots in Europe, and the C-46 pilots over the hump in China. I meet these guys on the air show circuit, they come to see the C-47 and B-17, and I ask them about their adventures during the war. I am in awe of what they did. How can anyone say these guys without degrees were not as good as today’s degreed pilots?

pilotyip said:
There are many ways to grow as a person, college is not the only way. Let me give you the background on the college degree thing. I do not judge a man by his degree, where he lives, or what he does for a living. I judge a man on the content of his character. I find the college degrees only crowd here, a bit arrogant, a smacking of if you do not have a degree you are not as good as me. I know too many people who are successful and fine men who do not have a degrees, I know many people with degrees who will never make any impact upon anything. I know too many pilots without degrees who I consider some of the most successful people I know I admire them and the lives they have built. So I bait, about the non-importance of the college degree in this business. I think this sets off the college degree only crowd because it distorts their view of what they have done. Secondarily my pilot heroes did not have college degrees and they performed feats that would test the metal of anyone. They flew in WWII, George Bush I in the Pacific, the 10,000’s of B-17 and B-24 pilots in Europe, and the C-46 pilots over the hump in China. I meet these guys on the air show circuit, they come to see the C-47 and B-17, and I ask them about their adventures during the war. I am in awe of what they did. How can anyone say these guys without degrees were not as good as today’s degreed pilots?

Yip - you missed my point completely...I'm not doubting someone that hasn't gone to college can push buttons in a cockpit or pull back a stick/yoke as well as someone that has. I'm saying get your college degree because it betters yourself as a person, opens up a lot more doors in this world to you-aviation or not, and if you want to fly for a major airline in today's world most require it and the rest highly prefer it. And if you want to fly for the military, it's absolutely required.

comrcap said:
If you're stupid enough to take student loans or spend 100 g's for your ratings on top of a degree for this industry, then NO BITCHING ALLOWED! First year at Comair....18,000
2nd....22500
5th 35000

Heck of a return on invewstment huh!
Get a PhD.

Yeah not to sure what you are talking about here. I am on 2nd year pay at Comair. I was on first year from Jan to April and 2nd year April until now....I have made over 30K so far. I have been clearing over 3000 a month after taxes...if you do the math that comes out to 36k a year....where is that 22500 coming from.............and my first year there I made a little over 22.

BTW...I think this pay sucks, we should all be making more. But it is my choice to keep this job. As far as Delta putting out a bid for flying and CMR Management telling us we need to get the cuts quickly I say HELL NO. I am not voting for a cut. Why on earth should I give up 4-5 grand a year to keep my job. Tell you what comair pilots...you give us(Delta) 4-6 grand a year...and you can still call yourself a pilot. BS!!!

Last edited:
UA-RESURRECTED said:
I kinnda feel bad for anyone who shares this mentality. Once again, another retard comes out no smarter than when he went in.

Id like to share a another post from this user:

UA-RESURRECTED said:
4 years out of high school, and nothing to show for it. Yep, that’s me. Spent all the time just basically blowing money on things. It’s hard to say exactly when I had this realization….though it’s unfortunate it has taken this long.

Grow up you POS

Last edited:
UA-RESURRECTED said:

I feel bad for people who skipped out on college as well. It was the greatest time of my life, and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever have as much fun as I did then. If some choose not to go, that's completely up to them, though.

And for what it's worth, I felt my six years of college (two BAs and an MA) did make me a more rounded person. But as I said, to each his own.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back